Screen goes black for 1-2 seconds then comes back on.

The screen goes black for 1-2 seconds and comes back on. And on the top left it says "Displayport 1" or "HDMI 1" or 2 depending on the port I'm using. This happens completely at random whether it's in game or on the desktop screen.

-The entire system has been replaced

-the gpu has been RMA'd three times.

-windows 11 has been reinstalled numerous times.

-I reinstalled the graphics drivers countless amount of times.

-I've kept the drivers up to date.

-I have replaced the displayport cable 4 times, each time with a new cable. VESA certified displayport 1.4 cables, once with a displayport 2.0 cable to see if that would work.

-I have gone through 3 NEW monitors.

-I have used different displayport ports on my gpu.

-I have turned off gsync.

-it happens with hdr on and hdr off.

-it has been plugged into the wall, and into a 1000 watt uninterruptable power supply.

My PC is an Origin PC with an RTX 3080, AMD Ryzen 9 5950x with an ASUS B550 UNIFY motherboard and 32 GB of Ram. This same problem persisted on a completely separate machine. I've experienced this issue for a year and I'm at my wit's end. This issue has caused me immense stress and anxiety that I've been getting ready to give up so I'm posting this out of desperation.

I would think this is an issue with your GPU if it happening with different cables and monitors. Does this happen with any other different GPU?

Welcome to the forums!!! 

Have you checked your grounds, meaning electrical grounds. Possibly static electricity building up, especially if you live in a dry environment with low humidity. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Sounds like the display is the problem, or at least that particular input port on the display. My Sceptre U55 started doing this on HDMI3 after a ScreenCast device overheated and failed. HDMI1 and HDMI 2 work fine. I would try a different input and see if it continues, that particular port or its electronics may have a problem.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

13 hours ago, danomicar said:

I would think this is an issue with your GPU if it happening with different cables and monitors. Does this happen with any other different GPU?

I've RMA'd the GPU 3 times. I haven't tried different GPUs but I've pretty much tried 3 brand new RTX 3080 cards.

10 hours ago, An0maly_76 said:

Sounds like the display is the problem, or at least that particular input port on the display. My Sceptre U55 started doing this on HDMI3 after a ScreenCast device overheated and failed. HDMI1 and HDMI 2 work fine. I would try a different input and see if it continues, that particular port or its electronics may have a problem.

This happened in 3 different monitors in different ports. Both displayport and HDMI.

12 hours ago, CommanderAlex said:

Welcome to the forums!!! 

Have you checked your grounds, meaning electrical grounds. Possibly static electricity building up, especially if you live in a dry environment with low humidity. 

Can't say I know how.

10 minutes ago, Mestizothelioma said:

This happened in 3 different monitors in different ports. Both displayport and HDMI.

When you say the entire system has been replaced, are you saying that individual components have been replaced, or you just simply got another system? I'm wondering if flaky or incompatible memory is possibly causing a glitch that is causing the video mode to momentarily reset.

I had a RAM issue that was causing a random POST failure with no video every 8 to 12 or so cold starts. Modules tested fine, but failed 2 weeks after being transferred to another machine as a test bed, and caused issues in the second machine as well.

Discovered the particular RAM was not QVL'd for the board in either machine after they failed. Selecting RAM from each board's respective QVL list has cured all issues on both machines. Might be worth looking into.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

27 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

When you say the entire system has been replaced, are you saying that individual components have been replaced, or you just simply got another system? I'm wondering if flaky or incompatible memory is possibly causing a glitch that is causing the video mode to momentarily reset.

I had a RAM issue that was causing a random POST failure with no video every 8 to 12 or so cold starts. Modules tested fine, but failed 2 weeks after being transferred to another machine as a test bed, and caused issues in the second machine as well.

Discovered the particular RAM was not QVL'd for the board in either machine after they failed. Selecting RAM from each board's respective QVL list has cured all issues on both machines. Might be worth looking into.

I got another system entirely.

32GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB RT 3200MHz (2x16GB) is my RAM

My mother board is an MSI MEG B550 Unify

I should probably also mention there is no disconnecting notification sound when the screen goes black

1 hour ago, Mestizothelioma said:

I got another system entirely.

32GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB RT 3200MHz (2x16GB) is my RAM

My mother board is an MSI MEG B550 Unify

I should probably also mention there is no disconnecting notification sound when the screen goes black

So, both of your system exhibit the same trouble ?
If so it might be your electricity.

Are you using UPS ?

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

7 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

So, both of your system exhibit the same trouble ?
If so it might be your electricity.

Are you using UPS ?

Yes. The issue was across both systems.

I am using a UPS but the issue persisted with the pc and monitor plugged into the wall.

I feel like I've been responding to questions I've already answered in the original post. I have a list of solutions I've already tried. I'll post it again.

-The entire system has been replaced

-the gpu has been RMA'd three times.

-windows 11 has been reinstalled numerous times.

-I reinstalled the graphics drivers countless amount of times.

-I've kept the drivers up to date.

-I have replaced the displayport cable 4 times, each time with a new cable. VESA certified displayport 1.4 cables, once with a displayport 2.0 cable to see if that would work.

-I have gone through 3 NEW monitors.

-I have used different displayport ports on my gpu.

-I have turned off gsync.

-it happens with hdr on and hdr off.

-it has been plugged into the wall, and into a 1000 watt uninterruptable power supply.

You've already ruled out any hardware or power issues; you've tested out several different systems (with different parts altogether), monitors, cables, and even had it happen with a UPS. If the underlying cause is a hardware fault, it would be extremely unlikely for it to persist across so many different systems; the only exception would be if you used the same GPU model on every system (which could be a design fault).

Based off of how you're describing this, it's likely a software bug, so it could be something wrong with your drivers, or with Windows itself. If you boot into Safe Mode (which will only load the default graphics drivers), does this still happen? If it still does, does anything show up in Event Viewer?

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

6 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

You've already ruled out any hardware or power issues; you've tested out several different systems (with different parts altogether), monitors, cables, and even had it happen with a UPS. If the underlying cause is a hardware fault, it would be extremely unlikely for it to persist across so many different systems; the only exception would be if you used the same GPU model on every system (which could be a design fault).

Based off of how you're describing this, it's likely a software bug, so it could be something wrong with your drivers, or with Windows itself. If you boot into Safe Mode (which will only load the default graphics drivers), does this still happen? If it still does, does anything show up in Event Viewer?

I'm not sure that's the case. As I've mentioned, I've reinstalled windows 11 numerous times. I've also reinstalled, and updated my GPU drivers. I've used software to completely remove them to then install them again. I honestly doubt that a years worth of Nvidia GPU driver updates would show the same issue consistently. 

I could definitely still try but I'd have to be glued onto my screen for days. The issue appears completely at random, and so it could be a matter of days before I see it pop up again. When it's happened, I've looked into event viewer but it's often swamped with information I have a difficult time interpreting.

I've been using the 10GB model RTX 3080 founders edition across systems.

17 minutes ago, Mestizothelioma said:

I'm not sure that's the case. As I've mentioned, I've reinstalled windows 11 numerous times. I've also reinstalled, and updated my GPU drivers. I've used software to completely remove them to then install them again. I honestly doubt that a years worth of Nvidia GPU driver updates would show the same issue consistently. 

I could definitely still try but I'd have to be glued onto my screen for days. The issue appears completely at random, and so it could be a matter of days before I see it pop up again. When it's happened, I've looked into event viewer but it's often swamped with information I have a difficult time interpreting.

I've been using the 10GB model RTX 3080 founders edition across systems.

I doubt it's a hardware issue considering how extensively you've troubleshooted this by now, so it's probably a software bug of some kind; that's why I was trying to rule out your graphics drivers (which are the most likely culprit). If it only happens every couple days though, I wouldn't really recommend staying in Safe Mode just to rule it out, so scrap that.

Next time this happens, can you check if there's anything in Event Viewer? You don't have to interpret it, just tell us if anything shows up there.

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

OP, the following are very easy mistakes to make, because because there are certain things most people will take for granted or don't know about these things.  So don't presume I think of you as an idiot if you're aware of these things. You'd be surprised what some people don't know.

You might check to see if the display is set for HDMI 1.4, 2.0, or 2.1. Also, make sure that the refresh rate in hz is matched.

Shot in the dark here, but let's say the UPS battery is weak or bad from age. Have you done a battery test recently? If something is tricking it into doing a self test, or line conditioning protection is making it go to battery backup when the battery cannot hold the load, that might explain this. Could also be a faulty load transfer switch in the unit.

Also, again presuming nothing here, but were all directions followed in setting it up? The reason I ask is that new units are shipped with the battery terminals disonnected and plastic sheeting blocking the contacts to prevent contact oxidation or short-circuiting while in storage. And it cannot charge the battery or do its job until those that is corrected. Again, not presuming anything, but I know it is common for some people to not bother with the manual, assuming that you just plug these things in and go.

One other possibility is that line fault conditions are switching the the unit to backup mode, and the monitor is plugged in to an outlet not served on the battery.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!