the leapmotion...any thoughts?

Cerdjee4

I don't see this as a replacement for mouse and keyboard, but this would be awesome in conjunction with them for Windows 8 users. As someone who is planning on getting Windows 8 soon this is very interesting. 80$ is not bad at all.

Personal Rig: i7 7700K - Asus Strix Z270H - 2x8GB GSkill RGB memory 3000Mhz - EVGA GTX1080ti SC2 - 2X Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - EVGA SuperNOVA 750G2

Well, good luck playing a game with your hands raised like an idiot for 2 hours.

No way this will be replacing the keyboard and mouse anytime soon

I can see this being awesome for people without a touchscreen who like/need to use programs,interfaces, or games intended for touchscreens.

this would also be pretty cool for something like Google glass (if it were built in) ,it has that little screen off to the side,and you just use the leap motion as you would a touchscreen.

though for the general use scenario I find it difficult to believe that it'd replace a keyboard and mouse.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

i will smash that into a million peices because i dont like change

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

I already knew about this for a very LONG time (about a couple months) but there wasn't any interest event to assoicated with it at that time, other than being a Star Citizen controller and making windows 8 less terrible, but there weren't any interesting articles about it, at least to my knowledge and i wasn't a dedicated linustechtips forum user back then either. anyways this will be awesome for a game like star citizen where there is more onscreen controls than mouse and keyboard controls, or at least i hope the make the controls interactive:D also if it costs less than a 100 bucks at bestbuy, than i really want to buy it:)

Meh... People are always going to want their mouse and keyboard this is not a replacement in any way even if it makes working much more efficient and such.

I already knew about this for a very LONG time (about a couple months) but there wasn't any interest event to assoicated with it at that time, other than being a Star Citizen controller and making windows 8 less terrible, but there weren't any interesting articles about it, at least to my knowledge and i wasn't a dedicated linustechtips forum user back then either. anyways this will be awesome for a game like star citizen where there is more onscreen controls than mouse and keyboard controls, or at least i hope the make the controls interactive:D also if it costs less than a 100 bucks at bestbuy, than i really want to buy it:)

Controlling a spaceship firefight using your hands with 3D vision.. Now this is starting to come together XD

How the hell are you meant to type on that?

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.

Try and use this for 6 hours straight without cramps, tired arms hands. Using this to play a video game or do work or surf the web for anytime longer than half and hour will tire you out.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Am i the only one who thinks that extended periods of use are gonna really make your arm ache?
I think it looks so cool, if it ever gets to consumers at a reasonable price im defiantly gonna get one, but i'd see it as more of a 'toy' than a main input device.

Stupidest thing I've ever seen.

Intel Core i7-5930K | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS X99-M WS | 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V 2666MHz | MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Seasonic 660XP2 | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

LG 34UM95-P w/ Ergotron MX  | O2/ODAC | Audioengine A5+ w/ AS8 | Sennheiser HD 598 | Ducky Shine 3 | Cooler Master Storm Spawn

How the hell are you meant to type on that?

From what I gathered on their site it seems that it is meant to replace the mouse and not the keyboard. I can see an on-screen keyboard for people who don't want to keep a keyboard though.

it is not to expencive my mouse and key board are a lot more i do not think that this will replace the key board but it could replace the mouse. i would most likely not use this for FPS gaming.

it wont replace. i mean. its a very un natural position for your hand. your arm would get tired.

To me, it'll be a nice addition to mouse and keyboard.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

i can see this a a good controller for stradegy games and general pc use but not a complete replacement

Try playing Starcraft on this, no way its going to have the accuracy you need.

I'll pass

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

From what I gathered on their site it seems that it is meant to replace the mouse and not the keyboard. I can see an on-screen keyboard for people who don't want to keep a keyboard though.

I will pay to use this with my computer when I'm in bed. I already just use the mouse with the onscreen keyboard when I turn my monitor over to my bed so i can watch YouTube when I'm really lazy

this is awesome, can use it for certain things but can replace my mouse_just as it is unique in its own way so is the mouse

I had a preorder on this but then more important things came up and i didnt keep the preorder, it is cool though.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

I don't think this would be good for long term use as it would make your hands tired from flinging your hand around all day so I think that mouse and keyboard are still good choices for interacting with the computer.

EDIT: Realized that kuddlesworth9419 mentioned about this above my post.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Yep long term use would be a major problem. But I think combining it with a mouse and a keyboard would be great. In an RTS game you could essentially be doing two or three things at once if your fast enough, using your keyboard macros to select a team of players whilst you click on a new building to be built while you then also use your hand with this device to zoom in or out of the map.

Either way I am still interested to see this tech become refined.

Also sorry for posting in the news section as its technically not news, if a mod wants to move this topic please feel free :)

CPU: i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz GPU: HD7970 OC 1200MHz/1650MHz @ 1.138v RAM: 16GB 1866MHz Hyper X Fury PSU: SilverStone 1200W Strider Gold MOBO: MSI GD65 GAMING COOLER: Swiftech H220 CASE: Corsair Air 540 SSD: OCZ 240GB AGILITY 3 HDD: 2X 1TB SAMSUNG SPOINPOINT KEYBOARD: SteelSeries 6GV2 MOUSE: ZOWIE PRO EVO MONITOR: 27" Asus LED 1080p

Could you image how tired your arms would be after a day of use geez. The only reason why I'd get one is because it's cool and I could show off to my friends. :D

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

I'm still worried about how tech like this is going to alter gaming, I don't know what I would do if I had to use something like this for a game instead of a mouse. My right arm would be really tired after a game of dota i guess :P

CPU Overclocking Database <------- Over 275 submissions, and over 40,000 views!                         

GPU Overclocking Database                                                    

It seems really cool to be honest. Amazingly cool. But I don't think that it can change keyboard and mouse entirely.

"Save the cheerleader, save the world- Hiro Nakamura

The hero LinusTechTips forum deserves, but not the one it needs.