WHALE LAN EVENT - IT'S OVER!! (Thank You to Everyone that Attended!!!)

Chase Douglas
11 minutes ago, plumptree said:

There's still a couple days before the LAN, you're going to screw everything in right?

.....right?

I'm traveling by plane, most of its coming back out lmao

50 minutes ago, LongGoneWind said:

I'm traveling by plane, most of its coming back out lmao

If that's the case, then you should definitely mount everything properly, you do not want the PSU, pump, or rad to jump around in the case during takeoff, landing, or turbulence. I personally would also take the GPU out, and put it into an ESD bag. The water cooling is definitely safer though for transport, as long as you drain it before leaving lmao.

It would suck to come out here and realize that your PC is absolutely screwed and broken.

5 hours ago, plumptree said:

If that's the case, then you should definitely mount everything properly, you do not want the PSU, pump, or rad to jump around in the case during takeoff, landing, or turbulence. I personally would also take the GPU out, and put it into an ESD bag. The water cooling is definitely safer though for transport, as long as you drain it before leaving lmao.

It would suck to come out here and realize that your PC is absolutely screwed and broken.

Oh yeah psu, pump, and gpu are all coming out, the rad is uh kinda stuck in there now so it might have to stay, gonna stuff the whole thing with absorbent soft materials for the flight

I look forward to seeing you all on Fri and/or over the weekend!

It's funny timing, after being in Vancouver for 9 years I'm moving to Montreal, flight is on Sunday at 11pm. The plan is to dismantle the comp into pieces so I can take it on the plane and rebuild when I'm there. 

The case (Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH, white) and the PSU (Corsair RM 850W ATX Modular) are going to be tricky to take on the plane. Any problems with trying to sell them to one of the other attendees? I've give a great deal 🙂

18 hours ago, JohnZe said:

I look forward to seeing you all on Fri and/or over the weekend!

It's funny timing, after being in Vancouver for 9 years I'm moving to Montreal, flight is on Sunday at 11pm. The plan is to dismantle the comp into pieces so I can take it on the plane and rebuild when I'm there. 

The case (Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH, white) and the PSU (Corsair RM 850W ATX Modular) are going to be tricky to take on the plane. Any problems with trying to sell them to one of the other attendees? I've give a great deal 🙂

You could ship them to yourself when you leave. XD

Will there be a kettle and / or a microwave available for people to use to cook food? If not, would it be allowed for me to bring my own kettle so I can cook up some instant noodles?

I really should pop by here more often. I drove by the whale lan signs on the way out of the office today and figured LMG were up to something.

Is there a neighbor discount? I work on the same street as LMG, Haha

On 7/22/2022 at 8:39 AM, draftingish said:

Where are you, .message me on discord, I might be able to give you a ride.

actually it's all good. I sorted out a ride there.

are we getting a live stream from the event? can't make it in person but would love to still feel like I'm there

Is it wrong that when I read Whale LAN my brain immediately added Yutani after it?

I wish I had the money and time to go...and the wherewithal to arrange transport of hardware.  Also experience sub 90-deg. F temperatures during the day.

1 hour ago, PineyCreek said:

Is it wrong that when I read Whale LAN my brain immediately added Yutani after it?

I wish I had the money and time to go...and the wherewithal to arrange transport of hardware.  Also experience sub 90-deg. F temperatures during the day.

There's air conditioning, so the temperatures were actually fine...  Next LTX!

2 hours ago, Caroline said:

In Canada no one can hear you scream.

what does this mean lol

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

1 hour ago, adarw said:

what does this mean lol

It's a play on the Alien tagline, which is what PineyCreek was referencing when they thought of Whale Lan-Yutani (Wayland Yutani is the megacorp in the Alien franchise)

I find it odd that Minecraft & League tournaments were pushed back and then cancelled, but a few hours after the cancellation, the L4D tournament came out of nowhere.

Also, the paper stickers that was required to put on the computers leave a lot of residue even when removed very carefully.

Overall, a fun and enjoyable experience.

On 7/26/2022 at 2:05 PM, ObeliskAG said:

I'm local and it would really love to come, but given the event duration, ventilation situation and no mask requirement, it doesn't seem safe to attend 😞

Considering there's a high chance COVID is simply going to be another variant of yearly flu we look out for, I think that's a bit of an over reaction. Hospitalizations are still quite low. I know 10 or 12 people that have gotten it, all fine. You could always wear a mask yourself.

3 hours ago, Fabricated Crucible said:

I find it odd that Minecraft & League tournaments were pushed back and then cancelled, but a few hours after the cancellation, the L4D tournament came out of nowhere.

Also, the paper stickers that was required to put on the computers leave a lot of residue even when removed very carefully.

Stickers without a lot of residue tend to stick less 😉 Nothing some rubbing alcohol and a good cloth can't solve.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

23 hours ago, dizmo said:

Stickers without a lot of residue tend to stick less 😉 Nothing some rubbing alcohol and a good cloth can't solve.

Yeah, if the stickers are intended to be a tamper-evident way to label which machine is whose, you don't want them to come off cleanly.

Citrus-based solvent like Goo Gone will also dissolve the adhesive residue without hurting paint. (Petroleum-derived solvents like Goof Off and acetone work, but might attack some finishes and plastics.)

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

2 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

Yeah, if the stickers are intended to be a tamper-evident way to label which machine is whose, you don't want them to come off cleanly.

Citrus-based solvent like Goo Gone will also dissolve the adhesive residue without hurting paint. (Petroleum-derived solvents like Goof Off and acetone work, but might attack some finishes and plastics.)

WD-40 works too.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

On 7/31/2022 at 6:26 AM, Fabricated Crucible said:

The stickers leaving so much residue was honestly an oversight, my bad 😅. If we ever do this again (and had more time to plan) it would have been cool to make a cool looking sticker instead that also had a unique number or something for tagging computers, but also wasn't such a pain to take off.

There was a lot going on which is why the schedule got so delayed, we managed to catch up a bit by doing some contests back-to-back, but we had to drop the League of Legend tournaments since we didn't run a full crew at night and it was getting late. Left 4 Dead tourney was supposed to be like a game of the hour thing, but it became an impromptu tournament when Linus wanted to put something on the line.

On 8/1/2022 at 6:37 PM, Chase Douglas said:

The stickers leaving so much residue was honestly an oversight, my bad 😅. If we ever do this again (and had more time to plan) it would have been cool to make a cool looking sticker instead that also had a unique number or something for tagging computers, but also wasn't such a pain to take off.

There was a lot going on which is why the schedule got so delayed, we managed to catch up a bit by doing some contests back-to-back, but we had to drop the League of Legend tournaments since we didn't run a full crew at night and it was getting late. Left 4 Dead tourney was supposed to be like a game of the hour thing, but it became an impromptu tournament when Linus wanted to put something on the line.

Something that might work instead of stickers (it'll cost a bit more tho) would just be cheap fridge magnets with a logo and number. That way they also serve a use afterwards.

19 hours ago, atliss said:

Something that might work instead of stickers (it'll cost a bit more tho) would just be cheap fridge magnets with a logo and number. That way they also serve a use afterwards.

But that would not be secure at all. The point of the sticker is that it can't be removed easily. With a magnet, you could toss it on any old computer and claim that it is yours.

Man unless I missed a vid, I literally didn't know this was a thing (not that I could have made it anyway). Where/when was this announced? I first heard about it in yesterday's video about that little baby server they used as a cache. I also randomly happened upon this thread just now. So maybe I just live under a rock with a starfish that eats Krabby Patties at 3am?

On 8/13/2022 at 2:26 AM, TempestCatto said:

Man unless I missed a vid, I literally didn't know this was a thing (not that I could have made it anyway). Where/when was this announced? I first heard about it in yesterday's video about that little baby server they used as a cache. I also randomly happened upon this thread just now. So maybe I just live under a rock with a starfish that eats Krabby Patties at 3am?

Unless you had seeing this thread it was posted, i wouldnt have known about it either.. Would be cool if they made a video about it, or an event video on what went down ❤️

But yeah, i didnt know about it until i randomly read "whale lan event" and instantly thought "Pay 2 win event?", think i read this on the 20'th by random chance..

Also cool pfp ^^

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

On 7/19/2022 at 9:07 PM, dkspooder said:

If I wanted to bring my wife alone who doesn't game, but wants to come along, how do? 

You pay for tickets,you bring who ever you want.

• 3 weeks later...