People that know about swords i need your help

brownninja97

So im meant to be getting some type of sword for a relative, i dont have a clue as to why but anyways im curious.

He wants a wakizashi

My question is a wakizashi a type of katana?

To be honest i have no bloody idea, damn swords, they all look the bloody same.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

According to google they look like this

Wakizashi.jpg

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

A wakizashi is a shortsword. And yes it's basically a shorter katana

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Well it looks like a short katana. Buy I mainly know about European swords.

Is he looking for wallhangers or functional blades?

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

As far as my knowledge, a wakizashi is a shot sword, while the katana is a long sword. They are both products of the Japanese sword making style of nihonto.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

A wakizashi is a shortsword. And yes it's basically a shorter katana

This^

It's like in between the dagger version of a katana and a katana. Only slightly bigger than a dagger would be.

Katana is longer than Wakizashi is longer than Tanto. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Keep a close eye on that guy.

im the ninja and he is the one getting the sword for the situation. meh butter knifes ftw

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

This^

It's like in between the dagger version of a katana and a katana. Only slightly bigger than a dagger would be.

Katana is longer than Wakizashi is longer than Tanto. 

You edited, I edited, confusion nearly ensued. I had decided to quote when it just said it was the dagger version. ^_^

You edited, I edited, confusion nearly ensued. I had decided to quote when it just said it was the dagger version. ^_^

Yeah. I remembered as I was editing it that the Tanto was a thing and was more analogous to a dagger vs long sword with the katana.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I used to have a gorgeous shinto katana... Then i got a girlfriend... So the sword had to go  <_<

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

I used to have a gorgeous shinto katana... Then i got a girlfriend... So the sword had to go  <_<

No young samurai, she must learn to love thy sword.

:ph34r:

That. I. ... Why would it have to go? 

I believed I've owned a Katana/Wakizashi before. It was for show, but hey, it was mine.

It's disappeared since then (I have a brother with a drug addiction), but yeah. It was awesome when I had it.

6852813817_7382964123_o.png

Forgive the absolutely terrible quality. All I had to take a picture then was a PS Eye. 

† Christian Member †

I believed I've owned a Katana/Wakizashi before. It was for show, but hey, it was mine.

It's disappeared since then (I have a brother with a drug addiction), but yeah. It was awesome when I had it.

Forgive the absolutely terrible quality. All I had to take a picture then was a PS Eye. 

YOU TENSE THAT UPPER ARM SON

holy crap thats long. damn how you hold with one hand.

Listen if you care.

No young samurai, she must learn to love thy sword.

:ph34r:

Well technically since i've chosen bushido as a way of life.. I sold my soul. 

But hey.. Love is evil and makes you crazy

In the picture it almost looks like an ōdachi. As for why mine had to go. Check my response above.

I've been saving up for a new one for a while now. But getting another engraved red saya and re-wrapping the tsuka in red is such a chore..

holy crap thats long. damn how you hold with one hand.

... No. 

It was out of it's sheathe by about 1/5th of it's length. The very tip of the sheathe is at the end of the picture, so it's from there to the end of the sheathe long. It's a Katana now that I think about it. Not a Wakizashi.

Well technically since i've chosen bushido as a way of life.. I sold my soul. 

But hey.. Love is evil and makes you crazy

In the picture it almost looks like an ōdachi. As for why mine had to go. Check my response above.

I've been saving up for a new one for a while now. But getting another engraved red saya and re-wrapping the tsuka in red is such a chore..

... eh, no. It definitely wasn't a two hander kind of sword. It's just a trick of how the picture is. It was about 3' long at best and the handle was just big enough for two hands to be on it.

@techswede @Askew

There's this place in Dallas, Texas called "Medieval Times" that costs like $60 per person. It's an event where the staff role play 1400's style England (kings, knights, etc). Dinner and a show basically which lasts like 2-3 hours. You eat basic (but very delicious) food while watching a tournament between several knights who go through the usual medieval tournament competitions (jousting for example) then end the tournament with a fight using various weapons (like, they hit hard enough to make the air smell like  metal and sparks fly although it's obviously "staged" in how the battles end). Very heavy duty in the role play department.

They had a gift shop type thing with many medieval and Japanese weapons (because for some reason those two things are related /sarcasm) from the Edo period. Was pretty cool. It also had other stuff (like epic chess sets and the like). 

I highly recommend it. 

† Christian Member †

@techswede @Askew

There's this place in Dallas, Texas called "Medieval Times" that costs like $60 per person. It's an event where the staff role play 1400's style England (kings, knights, etc). Dinner and a show basically which lasts like 2-3 hours. You eat basic (but very delicious) food while watching a tournament between several knights who go through the usual medieval tournament competitions (jousting for example) then end the tournament with a fight using various weapons (like, they hit hard enough to make the air smell like  metal and sparks fly although it's obviously "staged" in how the battles end). Very heavy duty in the role play department.

They had a gift shop type thing with many medieval and Japanese weapons (because for some reason those two things are related /sarcasm) from the Edo period. Was pretty cool. It also had other stuff (like epic chess sets and the like). 

I highly recommend it. 

Damn that sounds quite interesting actually. But it's a bit too far to travel :/

So i'll just have to make do with the viking counterparts around here

I highly recommend it. 

Thats pretty badass.... I'd like to go there at least once to see. Hmm to bad you don't live in Austin or I'd ask you to show me the next time I visit a friend there. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Damn that sounds quite interesting actually. But it's a bit too far to travel :/

So i'll just have to make do with the viking counterparts around here

Thats pretty badass.... I'd like to go there at least once to see. Hmm to bad you don't live in Austin or I'd ask you to show me the next time I visit a friend there. 

Locations from their website:

Locations
Atlanta, GA
Baltimore/Washington, D.C.
Buena Park, CA
Chicago, IL
Dallas, TX

Lyndhurst, NJ

Myrtle Beach, SC
Orlando, FL
Toronto, ON

And those aren't "We will be there". They are establishments. The building is a castle in Dallas. No Swedish/European/Eastern Hemisphere locations sadly. :( 

Hey... I have been wanting to move there for Google Fiber. Maybe one day. :D

† Christian Member †

A wakizashi is a shorter Japanese sword with a typical blade length of around 15-20 inches.  Historically, wakizashis were the longest sword that could legally be carried by anyone who was not of the samurai class or higher.  As an Iaido practitioner, I would not recommend just buying any sword for your friend.  Look at models from Cheness and CAS/Hanwei.  Both are good "starter" brands that focus mostly on blade quality while sacrificing on things like nicer looking fittings or folded steel to bring the price down.   CAS/Hanwei does have higher end models as well so you're probably looking at something in the $200-$500 range.

Current Rig
AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming WiFi 2 - 32 GB GSkill TridentZ RGB
GeForce RTX 3080 - WD Black SN850 1TB  - Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL

A wakizashi is a shorter Japanese sword with a typical blade length of around 15-20 inches.  Historically, wakizashis were the longest sword that could legally be carried by anyone who was not of the samurai class or higher.  As an Iaido practitioner, I would not recommend just buying any sword for your friend.  Look at models from Cheness and CAS/Hanwei.  Both are good "starter" brands that focus mostly on blade quality while sacrificing on things like nicer looking fittings or folded steel to bring the price down.   CAS/Hanwei does have higher end models as well so you're probably looking at something in the $200-$500 range.

I actually met a friend of a co-worker of mine who owned a "legit" katana. Like, it's not manufactured (i.e. mass produced). It's hand made the way it was done in the past (not sure what time period specifically). At the end, they test the blade by cutting a 6" thick rope with it and if the katana chips/breaks, it gets thrown out and they start over. And they give you a DVD detailing the entire process of your specific sword culminating in the test at the end to prove it's quality. 

Not sure how much such a thing costs, but I'm sure it's ... premium to say the least. Pretty epic stuff.

† Christian Member †

I actually met a friend of a co-worker of mine who owned a "legit" katana. Like, it's not manufactured (i.e. mass produced). It's hand made the way it was done in the past (not sure what time period specifically). At the end, they test the blade by cutting a 6" thick rope with it and if the katana chips/breaks, it gets thrown out and they start over. And they give you a DVD detailing the entire process of your specific sword culminating in the test at the end to prove it's quality. 

Not sure how much such a thing costs, but I'm sure it's ... premium to say the least. Pretty epic stuff.

Let's just put it this way.  Production Tamahagane swords from Dynasty Forge cost $2,500.  Anything not mass produced is going to come in well over 2x that cost so if it wasn't super expensive, it's mass produced.  I own a Cheness Tenchi (my practice blade since it's cheap), a Bugei Samurai (my main cutter), and a CAS/Hanwei Fuku-Riu Limited Edition.  All of which, are production models ranging from $300-$1,300.   

Current Rig
AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming WiFi 2 - 32 GB GSkill TridentZ RGB
GeForce RTX 3080 - WD Black SN850 1TB  - Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL