Looking for new headphones, need some reccomendations.

DriedSponge
Go to solution Solved by Psittac,
7 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

My main point is that it's a huge generalization. Also again while I love my audiophile headphones I will have to say they are much worse at picking up footsteps. I mean it's not like they don't do it but they aren't as good as my hyperx cloud II in my experience. Also I am just making the case that there are some gaming headphones that don't have alot of the issues you talk about. Like for me personally my hyperx cloud II are actually one of the most comfortable headphones I own and some of my audiophile headphones are less comfortable which is kinda annoying when they cost more but what can you do. 

I will agree that "gamer headsets" get a bad wrap. But my experience with a handful of them is they can be really good at one thing, decent at another and garbage at yet another.  The Sennheiser game one that I had for many years was all around decent at everything with gaming being pretty darn good, but once I started my audiophile journey I realized how much was left on the table.  Now I'm not a competitive gamer by any means, and I don't play fps anymore, but I'd think that good soundstage and imaging would make for great footstep tracking.  Another point, while I really don't like wireless solutions I've started to come around on it.  The benefit of having a dac, amp, headphone and mic in one all inclusive piece of technology is VERY appealing to many.  Though I rarely use my wireless headset, I have to appreciate what it offers.

8 hours ago, Tech nerd sab said:

Audio technica Ath m50x

Never heard them but have heard many praise them

8 hours ago, DriedSponge said:

Hello everyone,

I am currently in the market for a new pair of headphones. Right now I have a pair of Hyper X Cloud II's, and they are currently falling apart on me. I am looking for recommendations for a new pair of headphones that's $200 or less. I do a lot of FPS gaming on my computer, but I also like to listen to music and stream movies & TV shows, so sound quality is important to me. I'm looking for a pair of headphones that makes it easy to distinguish sounds like footsteps or gunfire (sounds you would find in fps games).

I would prefer wireless headphones, because of I enjoy the convenience of getting up from my desk without having to take them off, but I'm also fine with using wired headphones.

I don't need a headset with a mic, as I have a separate one on my desk, but I don't mind a mic as long as it's removable.

From my research I have found three possible solutions: the Sennheiser HD 560 S, HIFIMAN HE400SE, or the Logitech G PRO X Wireless. I am a bit skeptical of the Logitech one because of its "gaming" marketing, but my experience with other wireless Logitech peripherals tells me that the wireless experience should be good.

If you have experiences with any of these that you would like to share, or have a pair of headphones to suggest yourself, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Back to the OP, there are many ways to cut this cookie but out of everything I have first hand (or close to firsthand) experience with, and I was on an actual budget I would hands down get the Phillips Fidelio X2HR or the X3 if it's on sale.  And that could either be an end game or it offers an upgrade path.  You can add the schiit fulla and a mod mic and have a setup that I would personally be very happy with.

One more way you could do it is the Philips shp9500 or shp9600 and a schiit fulla.  I got the 9500 to see if I could recommend it and I was super disappointed because it was shrill bright and fatiguing with onboard audio, when I put it on my $500 dac/amp it sounded great, still bright but tame.  The schiit fulla will tame these as well but I would go for the 9600 because it's claimed that it solves the brightness issue.  Then more savings is to be had by adding a neego boom mic.  Just be aware that tieing audio output and input into the same wire and running them onboard can result in cross talk, IE what you're hearing going into the mic.

8 hours ago, CTR640 said:

HD560S sucks in terms of soundstage, it's way too narrow and highly adviced to avoid it.

Avoid any "gaming headphones/headsets", they are utterly crap and all looks very hideous too. Image materials to puke.

HiFiMan you mentioned is probably the better option. Other options are DT990, DT880 and Fidelio X2HR. But I can recommend the DT880, it's a damn fine headphone too. I use it for anything.

hifiman is a great company though I only have the older 400 which were out dated and "reference" in a bad way.  But everything I hear is that the newer ones are excellent.

*edit: Side note, sennheiser is/was a great company, I just don't recommend them often because I have the 6xx which really really wants a great chain behind it, and at the same time it leaves me with no desire to try out other products from the company because it's arguably the best sound experience I have.

@PsittacMan, my knowledge is damn limited regarding the dac/amp bs😂

Yep, now you see I just enjoy audio than being a critical listener. But it's also that thing about a stack. It takes up space and you'll have more cables than necessary.

I'd rather have a single unit. But it's probably I no longer worry about wether it can drive high impedance or not. I used to worry about that, even when using the headphones with my smartphone too. Now I only use my Airpods non-Pro purely for ergonomic reason for my smartphone.

Fiio K5 Pro is an analythical device. I don't recommend this to use with bright headphones like Beyerdynamic DT series because the sibilance will be increased aswell. For people that are sensitive to that like me, it is a no-go. I don't know how it sounds with X2HR but for 200 bucks, the K5 Pro is pretty overpriced. It used to be about 149 bucks but Fiio changed the chips and charged it more. For 200 bucks there are better ones. There is iFi Zen Air for 99, it's basically a stripped down Zen DAC (V2) because you probably won't be using all the features.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

The key is that you need to tag the correct username. If you do @OfficialTechSpace, it works perfectly. If you aren't official about it, things don't work.

As for the use of a line output on a computer, typically what you need is a 3.5mm TRS to dual RCA cable. Works fine, and usually the DACs on motherboards are slightly less crappy than the headphone amps on them.

In any case, start with an amplifier, and if you feel inclined to get a better DAC in the future, that's an easy upgrade. 

Any of the amp/DAC combos that @Psittac has listed are well known and good. As he said Creative has some good units as well for a more software sided solution with different sound settings etc. Of course, possible with any DAC as well but Creative have their own software which is pretty user friendly. The most popular Creative amp/DACs are the Sound Blaster G5, G6 or their X4. The G3 is a really budget one and is most likely as good as your HyperX dongle.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

On 7/15/2022 at 5:38 PM, CTR640 said:

However, @Tigerleonreviewed a HifiMan, I think the 400 or 400se

I reviewed the HE400i 2020 but those broke in one of the connectors and it turned out they didn't make those anymore so they sent me their HE400se with their better pads as compensation. The HE400se are definitely more clear and a bit brighter. The HE400i has more subbass overall. The stage and imaging is pretty much the same judging from the gap I had when I sent the HE400i's in. I prefered the 400i 2020 but the HE400se are not far behind for me atleast. Fun fact I learnt after I got them is that they have their stealth magnet design in the HE400se which are used in some of their higher end headphones.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

12 hours ago, CTR640 said:

There are single units which is a dac and amp in one device. The benefit is having just one device instead of a stack or one device next to other device.

So far, I wouldn't worry about that. I had the Fiio K5 Pro (DAC) and Lake People G103S (AMP), so two devices and they were connected using RCA cables.

Later I moved on to Klipsch Heritage dac/amp and I'm not missing anything really. It's also powerfull enough to drive 600ohm headphones. But this Klipsch dac/amp is no longer in production.

Is there any particular dac/amp you want within your budget?

@PsittacI tried to tag techspace, I even copied his nickname but no luck. Weird.

Ah okay, that makes more sense now, thank you. I was looking into the FiiO K3, and the schitt fulla-2 (both were recommended to me here). I'm willing to spend $100-$150.

11 hours ago, Psittac said:

The DAC is what coverts a digital signal, say your mp3 flac file or digital stream into an analogue signal that your headphones understands.  The problem is that it is only a reference or line voltage meaning that it has no power to it, just a signal, so it can't run your headphones.  The amp takes that low power signal and turns it into a high power signal that is capable of pushing the drivers on your headphones.  The differences in sound reproduction can happen at almost any point in the chain from file to ears, pretty much anything other than a cable is going to change the sound.  The biggest change in sound comes from headphones but how that digital signal is interpreted to start with can make a difference as well as how the amplifier responds to your headphones.  Once you have a dac amp and headphones the cheapest and most effective way to get a changed sound short of buying new headphones, is to change the pads.  I don't know about the X2HR but the X3 to me doesn't seam like it want's pads but I should look around and see what people are saying.  Lastly the funnest part to me is going with tube's, once you've got a tube amp you're able to change the tubes and drastically change the sound, for $10 it's like getting a new variation of your headphones.  Problem being that tube rolling is very hit or miss, some headphones make you want to wharf with certain tubes, but when you get the right combo it's excellent.  But you should always have a dac and solid state (non tube) amp first.

I hooked up my Fulla E to my X3 today so I can give you thoughts on it.  Coming from my other setup's it sounds a little bright in perhaps the mid treble? if that's a thing and a touch lacking in bass, and that was my recollection from my schiit stack a few years ago.  It's a great sound and pairing but only if that's what you're after.  Maybe @CTR640 can give impressions of Fiio products?  Aslo @Tigerleon has had excellent experiences with creative products, so maybe he can give you a feeling for what those are like.

*edit: you are able to use the DAC built into your computer, that would require a 3.5mm to RCA cable running from the line out of your onboard audio.  I don't think I've ever done that so I'm not sure if the onboard DAC is respectable or not.  @H713would probably have insight into this and tech space should be able to comment as well but I can't at him.  One option is to start with an amp and run it off your onboard DAC then get a stand alone DAC down the road.

Yeah it's odd, I think I've had that problem in the past.

Thanks for the explanation, it makes everything much more clear now. I'll probably start with a combined DAC/AMP, as it seems more simple, cost effective, and it would be nice for me because I value my desk real estate.

I really appreciate all of you for putting so much thought into your responses, so thank you!!!

Remember to quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX | G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB DDR4-3600 | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB 

Samsung 980 EVO Plus 2TB | SK hynix Gold S31 500GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 7200RPM HDD | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD | 3x Phanteks T30-120

Corsair RM1000e 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Modular PSU | Corsair 5000D Airflow Windows 11 Home