Gonna build 20+ Threadripper PCs what case should I go with?

Ai Kyuu

Hello there.

In the near future I will have to or rather be forced to build quite a few workstations based on Ryzen Threadripper PRO 39**WX
ASUS Pro WS WRX80E-SAGE SE
Noctua NH-U14S-TR4-SP3 2 fans
NVIDIA RTX A6000

4 x 3.5" HDD
Whatewer 1000+W power supply
and lot of fans

I'm hesitant about choosing a case. WRX80E is an extra E-ATX motherboard 30.98 cm × 33.02 cm (12.2" x 13"), so could you guys give me extra advice what to use for it?

I don't care about looks and I don't mind tight fit as long the build gives me performance, airflow and serviceability. I'd rather prefer cases with a steel side panel.

If possible nothing too expensive since we already blew up our budget. I wonder if I can get away with Fractal Design DEFINE XL R2 or something even cheaper =)

WRX80E.jpg

10 minutes ago, Ai Kyuu said:

In the near future I will have to or rather be forced to build

You have a safe word?

10 minutes ago, Ai Kyuu said:

I wonder if I can get away with Fractal Design DEFINE XL R2 or something even cheaper

The Define series is the first thing that came to mind before I read this part. The Meshify 2 is a bit cheaper.

BabyBlu (Primary): 

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ up to 5.3GHz, 5.0GHz all-core, delidded
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 @ 4000MHz 16-18-18-34
  • GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Sea Hawk EK X, 2070MHz core, 8000MHz mem
  • Case: Phanteks Evolv X
  • Storage: XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB, 3x ADATASU800 1TB (RAID 0), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
  • PSU: Corsair HX1000i
  • Display: MSI MPG341CQR 34" 3440x1440 144Hz Freesync, Dell S2417DG 24" 2560x1440 165Hz Gsync
  • Cooling: Custom water loop (CPU & GPU), Radiators: 1x140mm(Back), 1x280mm(Top), 1x420mm(Front)
  • Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB (Cherry MX Brown)
  • Mouse: MasterMouse MM710
  • Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB

Roxanne (Wife Build):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ up to 5.0GHz, 4.8Ghz all-core, relidded w/ LM
  • Motherboard: Asus Z97A
  • RAM: G.Skill Sniper 4x8GB DDR3-2400 @ 10-12-12-24
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 w/ LM
  • Case: Corsair Vengeance C70, w/ Custom Side-Panel Window
  • Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Silicon Power A80 2TB NVME
  • PSU: Corsair AX760
  • Display: Samsung C27JG56 27" 2560x1440 144Hz Freesync
  • Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB
  • Keyboard: GMMK TKL(Kailh Box White)
  • Mouse: Glorious Model O-
  • Headset: SteelSeries Arctis 7

BigBox (HTPC):

• CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3600 @ 3600MHz 14-14-14-28
  • GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X Plus OC, de-shrouded, LM TIM, replaced mem therm pads
  • Case: Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage: SP A80 1TB, WD Black SN770 2TB
  • PSU: Corsair SF600 Gold w/ NF-A9x14
  • Display: Samsung QN90A 65" (QLED, 4K, 120Hz, HDR, VRR)
  • Cooling: Thermalright AXP-100 Copper w/ NF-A12x15
  • Keyboard/Mouse: Rii i4
  • Controllers: 4X Xbox One & 2X N64 (with USB)
  • Sound: Denon AVR S760H with 5.1.2 Atmos setup.

Harmonic (NAS/Game/Plex/Other Server):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 6700
  • Motherboard: ASRock FATAL1TY H270M
  • RAM: 64GB DDR4-2133
  • GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530
  • Case: Fractal Design Define 7
  • HDD: 3X Seagate Exos X16 14TB in RAID 5
  • SSD: Inland Premium 512GB NVME, Sabrent 1TB NVME
  • Optical: BDXL WH14NS40 flashed to WH16NS60
  • PSU: Corsair CX450
  • Display: None
  • Cooling: Noctua NH-U14S
  • Keyboard/Mouse: None

NAS:

• Synology DS216J
  • 2x8TB WD Red NAS HDDs in RAID 1. 8TB usable space

3 minutes ago, Hairless Monkey Boy said:

The Meshify 2 is a bit cheaper.

The specs says "Motherboard compatibility E-ATX (max 285 mm)" which is not my case presumably.

Even after reading the manual I can't really tell if there's enough space and standoffs to fit the MB and (at least) 4 HDD's.

What's the use case?

What's the budget?

Why isn't the customer/client/business buying prebuilt workstations that come with warranties?

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

4 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

What's the use case?

What's the budget?

Why isn't the customer/client/business buying prebuilt workstations that come with warranties?

part built PCs have better overall warranties than any OEM.

6 hours ago, tkitch said:

part built PCs have better overall warranties than any OEM.

They're longer, but you do all the labor yourself and have to do without the PC for however long it takes to turn around an RMA. There's a reason you will find few, if any, white box PCs in large offices. (Especially in the server room, you're you'll find rebranded Dell, HP, and Supermicro chassis, not a Norco case with an Asus motherboard and Corsair power supply. And if there is a whitebox, it was built by a service provider as their appliance for running their software.)

Dell and HP will sell you commercial support contracts, where if you find a problem with the PC they'll send a tech on-site with the parts to fix it next business day (or sooner). Business support is a whole other animal from the warranty you get with a plastic consumer machine from Best Buy.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

I don’t know if I’m missing some out of left field context, but spending $200k on hardware without a commercial onsite service contract from an OEM sounds absolutely insane to me.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

17 hours ago, Ai Kyuu said:

The specs says "Motherboard compatibility E-ATX (max 285 mm)" which is not my case presumably.

Even after reading the manual I can't really tell if there's enough space and standoffs to fit the MB and (at least) 4 HDD's.

Reminds me of the Threadripper Quad GPU builds I did a few years back. We used Thermaltake View37's which layout worked quite well to achieve essentially a wind tunnel. I used a ATX board, but as you can see in the picture there is quite some horizontal real-estate, so I think your motherboard should fit too.

IMG_2339.jpg

IMG_2342.jpg

6 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

They're longer, but you do all the labor yourself and have to do without the PC for however long it takes to turn around an RMA. There's a reason you will find few, if any, white box PCs in large offices. (Especially in the server room, you're you'll find rebranded Dell, HP, and Supermicro chassis, not a Norco case with an Asus motherboard and Corsair power supply. And if there is a whitebox, it was built by a service provider as their appliance for running their software.)

Dell and HP will sell you commercial support contracts, where if you find a problem with the PC they'll send a tech on-site with the parts to fix it next business day (or sooner). Business support is a whole other animal from the warranty you get with a plastic consumer machine from Best Buy.

Depends on the use case.

If I need shitty desktop PCs for people to run Office and a few other low-intensity apps?  Hells yeah, I'm going to buy a stupid HP / Dell / Other OEM Box.  (Currently I'm a big fan of the MSI DP-20Z, it's a pretty awesome little box.)

If I need a server?  Uhhh, yeah, I'm 110% buying a server, unless there's a very specific reason to consider building one.  (Even then, it'd be an actual server build, not an ATX Board in a case.)

If I need some absurdly high-end workstations?  That's probably going to be built by me.  If we're talking about a thousand dollar CPU and an even more expensive GPU?  Yeah, I'd want that to be something that I can fix on my own, unless I need to order in bulk.  20 Computers is not bulk, that's well under a week's work to get those together and ready to image and deploy.

19 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

7 hours ago, Roswell said:

I don’t know if I’m missing some out of left field context, but spending $200k on hardware without a commercial onsite service contract from an OEM sounds absolutely insane to me.

Initially this was supposed to be Lenovo P620 but they're not available anymore due to the recent events. So no service contracts whatsoever, just me.

Are these going in a data center type environment or to individual users?

12 hours ago, For Science! said:

Reminds me of the Threadripper Quad GPU builds I did a few years back. We used Thermaltake View37's which layout worked quite well to achieve essentially a wind tunnel. I used a ATX board, but as you can see in the picture there is quite some horizontal real-estate, so I think your motherboard should fit too.

IMG_2339.jpg

IMG_2342.jpg

i have so many questions about thows but ill sum it up

WTF Rmermegeneratornet Wtf - Jackie Chan Meme | Meme Generator | Jackie  Chan Meme on ME.ME

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

On 6/30/2022 at 11:27 AM, Ai Kyuu said:

Hello there.

In the near future I will have to or rather be forced to build quite a few workstations based on Ryzen Threadripper PRO 39**WX
ASUS Pro WS WRX80E-SAGE SE
Noctua NH-U14S-TR4-SP3 2 fans
NVIDIA RTX A6000

4 x 3.5" HDD
Whatewer 1000+W power supply
and lot of fans

I'm hesitant about choosing a case. WRX80E is an extra E-ATX motherboard 30.98 cm × 33.02 cm (12.2" x 13"), so could you guys give me extra advice what to use for it?

I don't care about looks and I don't mind tight fit as long the build gives me performance, airflow and serviceability. I'd rather prefer cases with a steel side panel.

If possible nothing too expensive since we already blew up our budget. I wonder if I can get away with Fractal Design DEFINE XL R2 or something even cheaper 😃

WRX80E.jpg

https://www.amazon.ca/Phanteks-Enthoo-PH-ES620PC_BK01-Full-Tower/dp/B0894H2JZ4/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1110OH1H50D65&keywords=phanteks+Enthoo+Pro+2&qid=1656770413&sprefix=phanteks+enthoo+pro+2%2Caps%2C124&sr=8-2

dont no why the still case is more then the tg one atm...

https://www.amazon.ca/Phanteks-Enthoo-Full-Tower-High-Performance/dp/B0894J31QS/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1110OH1H50D65&keywords=phanteks+Enthoo+Pro+2&qid=1656770462&sprefix=phanteks+enthoo+pro+2%2Caps%2C124&sr=8-1

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

Thanks for your suggestion guys. But sadly neither Phanteks nor Thermaltake case are available in the quantity I needed.

I should've just done this first but I did a quick test in Photoshop and confirmed both Define XL R2 and Meshify 2XL have all the mounting points for the motherboard. Define XL R2 looks even better as it kinda leaves some space for cable routing.

Fractal suppourt also confirmed things for me.

On 7/1/2022 at 11:19 PM, Bitter said:

Are these going in a data center type environment or to individual users?

The latter.

CASE FIT TEST 2.jpg

Well scratch my idea of just rackmount everything or shelves with open benches.

7 hours ago, Ai Kyuu said:

Thanks for your suggestion guys. But sadly neither Phanteks nor Thermaltake case are available in the quantity I needed.

I should've just done this first but I did a quick test in Photoshop and confirmed both Define XL R2 and Meshify 2XL have all the mounting points for the motherboard. Define XL R2 looks even better as it kinda leaves some space for cable routing.

The latter.

CASE FIT TEST 2.jpg

the Define XL R2 is crap for air flow...

19 hours ago, Ai Kyuu said:

The latter.

CASE FIT TEST 2.jpg

Issue is that the define xl r2 is meant for silence and MASSIVELY sacrifices airflow. Not somethjng you want for a system of this class. 100% get the meshify

20210604_081050.thumb.jpg.bad89865f937f47f8fca9abb934313d8.jpgCan I recommend the Corsair 750d airflow edition?  It's what I have my 3960x workstation in, and it's airflow keeps my system idling around 43c.  All air, no water-cooling.  5.25 bays if you want, and comes with 6 3.25 bays that I ended up removing as I use all m.2 and a nas.