[IGN] "GameStop Closing 120 Stores, Focusing on Mobile"

TopWargamer

Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/24/gamestop-closing-120-stores-focusing-on-mobile?utm_campaign=fbposts&utm_source=facebook

GameStop CEO Paul Raines gave a presentation at GameStop's 2014 Investor Day -- as reported by Games Industry International -- and revealed his plan for what he's calling GameStop 3.0, "a new phase of the company's lifespan that will see it aggressively expand its footprint into gaming-adjacent tech fields," according to the article.

As such, GameStop has its collective eyes set on mobile, and specifically on Apple-branded devices, like iPhone and iPad. GameStop-owned brands -- like Spring Mobile and Simply Mac -- will expand at a significant rate in the fiscal year to fulfill Raines' goals for the company.

At the same time, GameStop will close between 120 and 130 of its nearly 6,500 global brick-and-mortar locations.

I know most of us here aren't really huge fans of GameStop, but like them or not, that's 120 stores closing - which means a lot of people will be losing jobs. I hate to see this happen, but it was inevitable. Digital versions of games are becoming more and more relevant - even on consoles - and that alone is killing a lot of GameStop's business. 

As for the other part of this article, GameStop will also be focusing on mobile - more specifically iPads, iPhones, etc. etc. Shame that they're not really going to focus on Android, because that would just be more income for them, but hey, whatever. GameStop just needs to start focusing on digital goods - somehow, someway - if they want to stay alive. 

g20-boarded-windows-oakland-gamestop-595

COMIC SANS

NOOO I shop at gamestop all the time... Never seen one or been to one.

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Saw this coming a while ago. It all started when Gamestop started offering cash or in-store credit for used phones. There is not a lot on money in used games anymore. Soon used games will be a thing of the past. Gamestop will be out of business in 5 to 10 years. 

Test ideas by experiment and observation; build on those ideas that pass the test, reject the ones that fail; follow the evidence wherever it leads and question everything.

how on earth can they move to mobile?

don't they sell games? and isn't it impossible to download third party apps on the fruit platform?

or do you mean reselling phones?

oh dear was that YOUR computer i just downloaded a few dozen viruses on when you weren't paying attention?

Not surprising, but moving to mobile??!?

Follow me on Twitter!

Technology Journalist at TechnologyTell, NextPowerUp, and others. 

Meh. Goodbye GameStop as we know it, it was terrible knowing you.

Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 Gunmetal Black CPU: i7-4770k Cooler: Corsair H100i RAM: 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro GPU: ASUS Direct CUII 770 MOBO: Asus Maximus VI Hero PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000 G2

Well, when they have 3 stores in a single town near me, it's a bit excessive.

120 stores around the globe isn't that big of a deal.

Also, the "tech" bent has been coming for a while. How long have the stores been taking in used phones, iPads, etc?

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."

The last time I went to gamestop was in 2010. They suck.

Only time I've been in a Gamestop in the last 5+ years or so is when a friend has dragged me there for some reason usually to trade in their games.  Never really been a fan of the place but I know a couple people who either work there or have in the past, so I feel for the people losing their jobs.  

Well, at least we still have Best Buy.

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

too bad the gamestop desktop app is complete shit, worse than origin. Over half the time it wont even load my game library, all i want to do is redeam the code on steam D:

Current: CPU: Intel i7-8700k. Mobo: Gigabyte - Z370 AORUS Gaming 5. RAM: 16gb G Skill Trident Z RGB. GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 Super.

First: CPU: AMD FX-8350 @4.5GHz. Mobo: Asus ROG crosshair V formula-Z. RAM: 8GB Patriot Viper XTreme. GPU: Asus Radeon 7950.

Ok, it's not that big of deal. Yea 120-130 stores are closing. This is ok though. First of all they are trying to bring some new things. You always have to update to what will work for the future and this is good (if this idea actually works). Secondly, new stores come in and take their place bringing new business that could succeed even more. Yes, people will lost jobs but this kind of stuff happens all the time. They will get new jobs somewhere else that needs them. So, while it's a drag on them they will be just fine.

I am just interested in what they see for the future of their company. That is going to be interesting. I feel because of the internet that we may see in the future (maybe after these consoles are dead) these stores going out of business because everything will be downloading games from online. At least maybe places that have good internet. IDK. The future on the internet just keeps looking better and better. I feel like more businesses will have less stores and more storage places to have stock and everything is shipped. UPS and other delivery businesses are going to make a ton of money in the future I think. So many things shipped right to people. Truckers will stay good in business. The future is going to be interesting. This could actually help small businesses because it would take less money because you don't need a nice store and you ship around your country or even around the world so you have a much more customers. 

I have a gamestop in my area. I never go there because it's all console games and about 5 PC Games and the occasional PS3 hardware that works with PC (Steering Wheels for example)

Well better start buying up used games again...

My profile pic is the game i'm currently playing. I hope i remember to change it..

Living up to their name literally.

Focusing on Mobile!? My fucking gods this announcement should come with apocalypse horns.

Why is mobile such a big thing. Do none of these companies realise it's a bubble and it will pop.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I would love to see more independant stores coming out that are all about PC games. The staff should like games.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard