Nine-year-old saves up for PS4, uses money to buy smoke detectors for vulnerable people instead

Snickerzz

playstation22n-4-web.jpg

After spending a year raising money to buy the gaming system he was craving for, Hector Montoya spent the dough on much-needed smoke detectors for his Grand Prairie community.

Hector got the brainstorm when he heard about a mother and a child who tragically had died in a fire.

Hector teamed with the Grand Prairie Fire Department on Saturday to install 100 new smoke detectors to those who needed them."I was going to buy a PlayStation but I decided saving a life was more important 'cause one life lost is too many,” Hector told NBC in Dallas-Fort Worth.

He was going to start from scratch again to raise money for the PS4, but after NBC told his story, Ashton Harder and sister Peyton of Allen, Tex. decided to foot the bill. A PlayStation 4 costs $400 at Gamestop and Best Buy.

Do you remember saving for something at 9 years old? I do and I know i didn't care about what was going on around me while i was saving, props to him. Glad he helped his community and still got what he wanted in the end :) can't imagine what this kids going to be like in 15 years

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/boy-money-raised-ps4-buy-smoke-detectors-article-1.1763469

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Wow I hope this kid becomes something when he grows up. We need more people like him in this world.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Cool but, since when do smoke detectors cost $4?

Teaming up. Meaing that he spend his 400$ and the Grand Prairie Fire Department paid the rest most likeley. 

Btw this isn't exacty tech news. 

shhhh

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Well done to the boy, but their community should give them out free.

In the UK you can ask the Fire department to come check out your house and point out risks, and they will also put up Smoke Detectors for FREE.

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

Well done to the boy, but their community should give them out free.

In the UK you can ask the Fire department to come check out your house and point out risks, and they will also put up Smoke Detectors for FREE.

not here, that would take intelligence :P and i dont think you can call the fire department to point out risks either, that would take effort

I like this kid. He deserves some kind of award for common decency or whatever.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I think some tech youtubers should put together a gaming rig for him: We need such wonderful young people in the PC Master Race

As long as he gets a Fermi. Or two.

H17gEpj.jpg

i did something similar to what this kid did

jk i didnt . 

Wow. Faith in the human race is restored. There will always be good people out there, they just don't get recognised for what they've done.

Sorry for the convoluted speech pattern.

I don't like that kid because he almost got a PS4.JK.I'm actually a fan of the PS4 so calm your mammary glands

I did something sorta similar once:

I took the batteries out of a smokedetector in someone else's house so I could power up one of my toys.

It's pretty much the exact opposite, but it's still similar.

I can be a cynical a**hole at times. I apologize if I cause any offence at those time. I also occasionally have issues communicating my point. Extreme introversion + Photographic memory + Some other things.

Desktop: i5-4670k - 8gb 1600MHz - MSI 7850

Laptop: i7-4810QM - GTX 870m - 8gb RAM

How do you save up so much money when you're 9?  My parents certainly didn't give me any.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

when i was 8 i was saving almost 1 month for this shit. it costed (23 lari) = ~15 $ in my country. when i wanted new game or joypad broke  that was another 15-20 day money saving time. this kid lives in heavens :D 

Dendy_Junior_with_cart_and_joypads.jpg

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

400$ is a lot for a nine year old to have, even if I had saved all of my money my whole life until nine I would not even be close, although PS4 mostly has T-M rated games right now anyways right?

How do you save up so much money when you're 9?  My parents certainly didn't give me any.

He didn't. It's 100% manipulation by the parent. On the surface kid thinks he's done something good, but the true lesson learned is "Money is power and influence." Kid was brainwashed by the promise of a reward, and when that reward was used to influence the right people - the state and media - someone else buys it for him. Give the kid an Oscar, because he's 9 years a slave.

He didn't. It's 100% manipulation by the parent. On the surface kid thinks he's done something good, but the true lesson learned is "Money is power and influence." Kid was brainwashed by the promise of a reward, and when that reward was used to influence the right people - the state and media - someone else buys it for him. Give the kid an Oscar, because he's 9 years a slave.

That's so fucking jaded it's something that someone with my nickname would say....good job

-------

Current Rig

-------

When I was around his age, i didn't get any allowance or couldn't save up any money. Like where does he money? Chores?

But props to this kid, helped so many people including the elderly.

Selling my parts of my 900D rig for a jacked up Ncase M1. PM me for offers if interested (will take some reasonable-low offers because I'm desperate).

Parts that I'm selling: 900D (1 slot cover broken for stealth DVD drive mod) | Asus Z87 Deluxe | Cooler Master 212 Evo | Corsair 4x2GB black ram @1600mhz | EVGA 1000G2 PSU (2 cables with missing heat shrink) | DVD drive | HP membrane keyboard | Ducky Shine 3 YOTS in blue switches (warranty sticker broken)

When I was around his age, i didn't get any allowance or couldn't save up any money. Like where does he money? Chores?

But props to this kid, helped so many people including the elderly.

Well I could said the same, I basically only got any presents or new toys twice a year: On my birthday and on x-mas. My allowance only started on like 8th grade and it was just a bit more than enough for bus fare. I didn't mention this however because I can understand that not every child grows up like me in adverse economical situations and brought up on a very different time period with very different values. 

But apparently this has to be clarified since it's been mentioned several times already: there is such a thing as an upper middle class or even well off house hold in which allowances would be sufficient for this kid to save up and such.

-------

Current Rig

-------