All iPhones with a headphone jack are now all unsupported.

After iOS 16 is no longer supporting the iPhone 6S, SE, and 7, all headphone jack iPhones are now unsupported. Let that sink in.

how are you doing today

Went wireless 5 years ago for my earphones. Haven't felt the need to go back to a wired pair of headphones outside of my PC.

Damn wire kept getting stuck everywhere, broke two pairs like that, one on a random nail on the side of a table at work and another on a door handle. It's even more of a pain during winter with your coat on. Unless you leave the wire dangling out in front of your coat, you'd barely have a foot of cord available to use your phone from your pocket, making it a pain to use.

That said, Samsung is also moving away from the headphone jack. They used to still have them on their mid range A series. My A52 from last year has one. But this year, the A53 doesn't. Seems like the industry as a whole decided no one cared for wired headphones anymore (they probably have statistics on that sort of usage, right?).

The only sad part with wireless headphones... No FM radio. And by that I mean no DATA FREE FM Radio. As in, no need for the internet. I used to just listen to a radio show in the morning, get a good laugh out of it. Now I just have regular plain old music because I ain't got data to waste as my phone plan is the cheapest possible with 250MB of emergency data only, it's a sad life.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

It is interesting that the 7 was dropped for sure. 6S/SE is unexpected, but not a huge shock, the A9 is quite an old chip. I doubt its as simple as a vendetta against wired headphones.

Also if you absolutely cannot use a nice pair of bluetooth headphones, grab a scuffed up iPod Classic for like $40-60 or so, install Rockbox, and throw on your music collection. Works a treat, the only annoyance is needing a 30 pin cable.

2 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

The only sad part with wireless headphones... No FM radio. And by that I mean no DATA FREE FM Radio. As in, no need for the internet. I used to just listen to a radio show in the morning, get a good laugh out of it.

Ahhh, did they use the headphones as the antennae? I've never actually tried using FM on a phone or iPod.

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

9 minutes ago, Zando_ said:

Ahhh, did they use the headphones as the antennae? I've never actually tried using FM on a phone or iPod.

Yeah, they did. Makes me wonder why they couldn't just use the wifi antennae or something else for this. Even if they are much shorter, surely they could pick up some waves and be better than nothing... Right? As it is, without headphones plugged in, it doesn't even work at all.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 hour ago, ebprince the computer nerd said:

After iOS 16 is no longer supporting the iPhone 6S, SE, and 7, all headphone jack iPhones are now unsupported. Let that sink in.

I use Bluetooth. So no headphone jack doesnt really matter to me. 

Also they cant keep supported these devices forever. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Just now, Donut417 said:

I use Bluetooth. So no headphone jack doesnt really matter to me. 

Also they cant keep supported these devices forever. 

Yeah, but it feels like we were getting angry at Apple for removing it yesterday.   Also I use Bluetooth as well.

how are you doing today

1 hour ago, ebprince the computer nerd said:

Yeah, but it feels like we were getting angry at Apple for removing it yesterday.   Also I use Bluetooth as well.

At the time they removed it, it was 100% to push their Airpods as there wasn't much in terms of portable earphones that didn't suck ass. But over the years since... Things have changed.

I have some pretty decent BT headphones(Sony XM3), but I use them wired 95%+ of the time. Most of the time I use my phone it's to play games and watch videos, and BT dogshit latency makes the it useless for those, some applications allow to shift the audio a bit, but most of the time it's just a bad experience overall. The only time I use the Bluetooth mode is when I know that I won't be watching videos or playing games while I'm outside but will listen to music. I usually listen to music in my PC, so it's usually either with wired headphones or speakers there.

The lack of the headphone jack was one of the reasons why I've never considered any of the newer iPhones, and unfortunately it just keeps getting harder to get more hardware features in more expensive phones, it would be nice if Sony wasn't alone as the only flagship phone with headphone jack and microSD slot and frontal speakers.

17 minutes ago, KaitouX said:

and BT dogshit latency makes the it useless for those, some applications allow to shift the audio a bit, but most of the time it's just a bad experience overall

I either have good Bluetooth headphones or I just dont notice. Because I primarily use my Bluetooth headphones with my Mac and I routinely watch Videos, TV shows and Movies with them. No issues. I used to even use them to play video games but Windows 10 has slightly crappier Bluetooth support then Windows 7 did but to be honest Bluetooth and Windows has always been a crappy experience. Only time I use my headphones wired is when they run out of juice. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

i thought i would care about phones not having a headphone jack.

but then i remember that these exist, so i bought one.

image.png.177479fa678274ae4d25c13f903c731b.png

now i have 3 different headphone jacks on one device.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

4 hours ago, Arika S said:

i thought i would care about phones not having a headphone jack.

but then i remember that these exist, so i bought one.

now i have 3 different headphone jacks on one device.

Basically this

Why settle for:

-music streaming services de-listing your favorite music at random

-requiring internet connectivity 

-the limitations of file format compatibility per device

-the bandwidth limitation of Bluetooth for high resolution audio 

when you can go back to the early 2000’s and get a dedicated player, whatever the hell you want to cram in/on your ears, and own your entire music library

FFB1A63E-4846-494C-A53D-67A96E29C416.thumb.jpeg.e53754cd9956c6857c6eb25803ad00a9.jpeg

nobody can text me when I’m listening to music, my music isn’t deleted from my player when the record label says no, it works offline, it gets 4 times the battery life of my phone, it can play stupidly high resolution music like DSD256, and it has a headphone jack so the Bluetooth data transmission rate isn’t an issue

my phone does none of those things 

12 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Damn wire kept getting stuck everywhere, broke two pairs like that, one on a random nail on the side of a table at work and another on a door handle. It's even more of a pain during winter with your coat on. Unless you leave the wire dangling out in front of your coat, you'd barely have a foot of cord available to use your phone from your pocket, making it a pain to use.

I have been using the same wired headphones (some Sennheiser in-ears) for over 10 years now and they still work perfectly fine. If I'm on the move, working out or need to get the cord out the way I route the wire either under my shirt or tight along my backpack strap where it is secured with paracord and rubber-bands, so I don't get tangled up. The headphone wires are about 1.5m long and are long enough to comfortably use the phone even with the wire under the shirt.

I personally don't like bluetooth headphones because they need to be charged at some point. If I have a long or unexpected plane trip or so I don't have to worry about headphones being charged and things like that. I just throw my headphones in my bag and if I need them use them and when I'm done throw them back into the bag until I need them again. Plus I can use my own headphones with almost everything (in-flight entertainment, Laptops without bluetooth,...).

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Display: Samsung Odyssey G7A (28" 4K 144Hz)

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

On 6/7/2022 at 7:48 AM, ebprince the computer nerd said:

all headphone jack iPhones are now unsupported. Let that sink in.

By unsupported you mean those older phones will not get iOS 16? Then yes. However, Apple does release occasional critical software updates even to older iOS versions. [iOS 12.5.5] [iOS 14.8.1]

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

On 6/6/2022 at 6:48 PM, ebprince the computer nerd said:

No? unsuported would mean that they dont have any updates and if memory serves there are more ios 15 versions to be released.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

I would like having a dedicated music player, not draining a phone battery for music and being able to own an offline library is nice,however if i'm paying $1000 for a phone it should have a headphone jack, the only high end phone with a 3.5mm jack is Sony, otherwise you have to settle for a midrange Motorola or Nokia, the rest of the phone industry going away from the headphone jack is really disappointing.  Also dedicated music players are rather expensive.

57 minutes ago, Helpful Tech Wiard said:

No? unsuported would mean that they dont have any updates and if memory serves there are more ios 15 versions to be released.

It means you're basically only getting security updates, iOS is much more reliant on having the latest version for app updates than Android is.

On 6/6/2022 at 9:25 PM, TetraSky said:

At the time they removed it, it was 100% to push their Airpods as there wasn't much in terms of portable earphones that didn't suck ass. But over the years since... Things have changed.

While there are much more options for BT in ear headphones, not much has really changed besides most companies taking away the 3.5mm jack, and a lot of headphone manufacturers stopped making wired headphones. IMO there are still too many drawbacks with bluetooth headphones, bluetooth audio and mic quality still sucks compared to a wired connection, and batteries prevent from being able to use them all day without stopping to charge. Another thing I dislike with bluetooth headphones are non-replaceable batteries, if I find a pair of headphones I like I'll use them until they break, with bluetooth headphones they're landfill e-waste when the batteries stop holding a charge.