recommendations for phones WITHOUT in-display fingerprint sensors?

Go to solution Solved by Noamazia,

okay, idk why this thread got attention in the last few days when i posted it half a year ago....
anyway, i wanted a phone that was just designed outside china like venomail assumed. the assembly it self doesn't matter to me since the company who made the designs probably has some QA procedures that would see if the chinese made any alterations.

in the end i bought the Sony Xperia 5 IV, which was just a bit over what i wanted to spend but was the only phone that checked all the boxes.

i have had it for about 2 months now and its pretty good. i love the upgrade to the battery life, i don't need to wait on apps to load anymore, and the sync with the sony headphones works better, there is no damn bixby button.

but there are negatives: the OS is worse than samsung's, sony headphones still can't conenct to google assistant for some reason, i had trouble with some less popular apps like notify for miband(cause annoying glitches with notifications) and a few other minor details.

even tough it was a bit late, thanks for the recommendation! ill keep it in mind for the next upgrade in 3 years to check viability!

hey,
im looking for a new phone but i can't find one that fits my reqs which are quite spesific.
i want a headphone jack (thought the jack-less trend was over, guess not) and not from apple or a chinese manufacturer.

lastly i don't wan't in screen fingerprint scanner (side/rear scanner is fine), or at least a way to physically disable it if someone know of a way. (maybe spesific screen protectors?)

my price range is about 600 USD, so around the price of the galaxy s21 or pixel 6 (though those 2 have scanners)

im currently using galaxy s9 since it was the latest s series form samsung that didn't have the scanner.

Eh well, my phone pretty much fits all those.
S10e, no idea whether you can still get a new one at wherever you live though.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

I think there is a way to disable the in screen fingerprint sensor but it involves rooting the phone and deleting the drivers iirc somewhere inside the root directory, forgot where i read this but i also prefer no fingerprint sensor as i dont use em, i think it was stackexchange

Though is your phone missing anything the newer phones have? Only thing i see anyone caring about on newer phones is mostly the camera as specs are so overkill basically noone uses them unless they got 90hz+ screen and theyre a competitive gamer like me

rule of thumb: Most Glass screen protectors completely bork under-screen ultrasonic fingerprint scanners.

I had to find very specific protectors for my Note 20 to have the fingerprint sensor still work after installing it.

Sony Xperia 10 iv would probably fit all criteria, looks really impressive and will release in a month. Xperia 10 iii would be the budget option.

The only caveat is that I don't know if they still restrict their sales in US or not.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

17 minutes ago, .wncry said:

I think this checks all your boxes:

https://www.pine64.org/pinephonepro/

Unfortunately, that's a pretty terrible phone in every other respect. It'll be slower than the OP's phone and otherwise pack inferior hardware, and mobile Linux is starved of apps and other features. The Pine team is honest and knows it won't compete on features with most modern phones, but that won't help much in this situation!

On 6/2/2022 at 10:42 AM, Noamazia said:

hey,
im looking for a new phone but i can't find one that fits my reqs which are quite spesific.
i want a headphone jack (thought the jack-less trend was over, guess not) and not from apple or a chinese manufacturer.

lastly i don't wan't in screen fingerprint scanner (side/rear scanner is fine), or at least a way to physically disable it if someone know of a way. (maybe spesific screen protectors?)

my price range is about 600 USD, so around the price of the galaxy s21 or pixel 6 (though those 2 have scanners)

im currently using galaxy s9 since it was the latest s series form samsung that didn't have the scanner.

Try here: Phone Finder results - GSMArena.com 
You can refine that search, but I started with the specs you listed. 

S10e! Try to get the battery refurbed and install lineage after a year ir two for support, but mines been serving me well for 3 years now!

check your cables!
samsung s10e | android enthusiast | Tech blogger | XC Athlete | Surface pro 4

I suspect most phones let you disable fingerprint sensor. It should even be disabled by default since it needs to program your finger first before functioning. 

3.5mm jack will be tough for a new somewhat premium phone. Used older flagship.

Sony or Samsung might produce in their home country... Everyone else likely is China. You probably need to research the specific model. And they may assemble or use parts from multiple factories. So the China exclusion will be tough. There is a fairphone that may not be produced in a forced labor camp (if that is the reason to avoid China)

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

On 6/2/2022 at 7:44 PM, Poinkachu said:

Eh well, my phone pretty much fits all those.
S10e, no idea whether you can still get a new one at wherever you live though.

thanks, there is s10 available here (we are lagging behind almost in everything) but i wanted a bigger step up.

On 6/2/2022 at 8:00 PM, Origami Cactus said:

Sony Xperia 10 iv would probably fit all criteria, looks really impressive and will release in a month. Xperia 10 iii would be the budget option.

The only caveat is that I don't know if they still restrict their sales in US or not.

sounds good, im now looking into which one is better fir me 1/5/10 iii/iv

On 6/3/2022 at 10:14 PM, Kc7vwc said:

i have been using that site to check specs and where the scanner is in each phone but i missed the refined search option, thanks!

On 6/2/2022 at 7:50 PM, Somerandomtechyboi said:

I think there is a way to disable the in screen fingerprint sensor but it involves rooting the phone and deleting the drivers iirc somewhere inside the root directory, forgot where i read this but i also prefer no fingerprint sensor as i dont use em, i think it was stackexchange

well, i haven't jail broken any phone since 2010 so i'd raher avoid that😅 though i look into it if my searchs run dry on the HW side of things. but from what it looks like, the xperia lineup looks good to me. just need to wait for the iv to launch, find reviews and then find a place to buy it.

On 6/2/2022 at 8:00 PM, Origami Cactus said:

i checked the xperia line up and its almost exactly what i need! too bad they don't sell them in my country... might need to ask for family that live in the US to send it to me. though i will have no way to service it here, it might still be worth it rather than staying with my current phone.

14 minutes ago, Noamazia said:

i checked the xperia line up and its almost exactly what i need! too bad they don't sell them in my country... might need to ask for family that live in the US to send it to me. though i will have no way to service it here, it might still be worth it rather than staying with my current phone.

Yeah, as far as I know they don't sell in the USA too, so depending on where you live, amazon.de might be a better option.

As far as to which model, 1 is usually overpriced, 5 is pretty much the same as 1 but much cheaper, 10 is the best value.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

21 hours ago, Noamazia said:

Sony phones are available in the US, and the Xperia 1 IV will come to the country in September. It's just a question of whether you can hold out and/or be happy with the prices, since Sony only tends to sell its higher-end phones stateside.

On 6/2/2022 at 5:42 PM, Noamazia said:

hey,

What’s the issue with a fingerprint scanner?

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 6/3/2022 at 1:14 PM, Kc7vwc said:

Phone finder feature doesn't have an option to exclude phones with fingerprint scanners...

This is something I am now desperately trying to find as my Essential PH1 is growing long in the tooth.

A phone with the sensor on the back that I can cover, like I have now, would also suffice, but I'd just rather not have it.

I sent GSM Arena a support email requesting the option to filter it out, but we'll see...

Reading this forum and others, Motorola seems to offer a clean expeeience.  Something like the Motorola or Moto G5 or moto Z series might be what you are looking for.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.

asus zenfone 9

On 1/8/2023 at 11:45 PM, Chris2002 said:

asus zenfone 9

Spoiler

Zenphone is from a Chinese manufacturer, which is one of the things they didn’t want. But asus is a reputable brand, so maybe?

The above information is wrong, asus is from Taiwan, i was wrong sorry

Edited by Kazooduck

check your cables!

On 1/9/2023 at 6:37 PM, Kazooduck said:

Zenphone is from a Chinese manufacturer, which is one of the things they didn’t want. But asus is a reputable brand, so maybe?

By "Chinese" I assume OP actually just means Chinese brands, like Huawei, Honor, Oppo, Xiaomi  and all those other Chinese brands.

If you think OP means by a phone that hasn't had a single part manufactured in China? Not only is that gonna be extremely difficult to find, if it even exists but is gonna cost an arm and a leg as well.

In that sense tho, ASUS's Zenfone 9 is a great fit.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

On 1/9/2023 at 1:37 PM, Kazooduck said:

ASUS is in Taiwan, not China. Now, I'm sure ASUS has its phones manufactured in China, but that's difficult to avoid for many companies.

2 hours ago, Commodus said:

ASUS is in Taiwan, not China. Now, I'm sure ASUS has its phones manufactured in China, but that's difficult to avoid for many companies.

Sorry, didnt specify. Also was misinformed, ill edit my above comment to fix that

8 hours ago, venomtail said:

By "Chinese" I assume OP actually just means Chinese brands, like Huawei, Honor, Oppo, Xiaomi  and all those other Chinese brands.

If you think OP means by a phone that hasn't had a single part manufactured in China? Not only is that gonna be extremely difficult to find, if it even exists but is gonna cost an arm and a leg as well.

In that sense tho, ASUS's Zenfone 9 is a great fit.

same as i said before, sorry again.

check your cables!

okay, idk why this thread got attention in the last few days when i posted it half a year ago....
anyway, i wanted a phone that was just designed outside china like venomail assumed. the assembly it self doesn't matter to me since the company who made the designs probably has some QA procedures that would see if the chinese made any alterations.

in the end i bought the Sony Xperia 5 IV, which was just a bit over what i wanted to spend but was the only phone that checked all the boxes.

i have had it for about 2 months now and its pretty good. i love the upgrade to the battery life, i don't need to wait on apps to load anymore, and the sync with the sony headphones works better, there is no damn bixby button.

but there are negatives: the OS is worse than samsung's, sony headphones still can't conenct to google assistant for some reason, i had trouble with some less popular apps like notify for miband(cause annoying glitches with notifications) and a few other minor details.

even tough it was a bit late, thanks for the recommendation! ill keep it in mind for the next upgrade in 3 years to check viability!