trying to transfer windows 10 over to an ssd?

Myla

I'm having a lot of trouble with this, all the applications I try to do it with, the actual thing is behind a paywall. I've gotten the SSD installed and all that stuff, I just need to transfer my OS over to it. I would use something like AOMEI, but both the HDD I'm trying to copy from and the SSD I'm trying to copy to are GPT, and for AOMEI, MiniTool partition wizard, and EaseUS are behind a paywall for GPT. Does anyone have any suggestions or is there like a way to do it on windows? 

Unless you have a specific reason for this - it is easier just to do a clean install on the SSD. Windows license key is stored on your MOBO. You can get the key from CMD if you want a peace of mind.

Did the drive you buy happen to be Sabrent?

They come with a copy of Acronis True Image.

Win10 - AMD 5800X, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Elite, RX 6800XT Midnight Black, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB, ARCTIC Liquid Freezr II 360-ARGB, Sabrent Rocket Q 2TB, Cooler Master V850, Fractal Design Meshify 2

unRAID - AMD 1700X, GIGABYTE B450 Aorus Pro, Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB, Noctua NH-D9L, WD Red 4TB x3, WD Green 2TB, Intel 160GB SSD, Seasonic S12III 550W, Fractal Design Node 605

pfSense - Intel i5 4570S, ASUS H97I-PLUS, Samsung Green 8GB, Zalman CNPS80G, WD Scorpio Blue 320GB, EVGA SuperNova GA 550W, Fractal Design Node 304

but then will I have to pay money for the actual file, even though I have the key? 

1 minute ago, Deeya said:

Did the drive you buy happen to be Sabrent?

They come with a copy of Acronis True Image.

no it's adata

6 minutes ago, Myla said:

I'm having a lot of trouble with this, all the applications I try to do it with, the actual thing is behind a paywall. I've gotten the SSD installed and all that stuff, I just need to transfer my OS over to it. I would use something like AOMEI, but both the HDD I'm trying to copy from and the SSD I'm trying to copy to are GPT, and for AOMEI, MiniTool partition wizard, and EaseUS are behind a paywall for GPT. Does anyone have any suggestions or is there like a way to do it on windows? 

backup Data and just fresh install from a USB. its a pain to go back and set it all up, but your hardware has a Windows Key built into it and there's no need to pay again for another install. i'm glad its that way but windows isn't legally free either, unless you want a Watermark. 

1 minute ago, Myla said:

but then will I have to pay money for the actual file, even though I have the key? 

the Windows Media Creation Tool is Free. there's no paying for it, you pay for a License that gives you multiple installs to use.

Just now, BionicSeaSerpent said:

backup Data and just fresh install from a USB. its a pain to go back and set it all up, but your hardware has a Windows Key built into it and there's no need to pay again for another install. i'm glad its that way but windows isn't legally free either, unless you want a Watermark. 

is there a way to get the OS that is built into my computer onto the usb or do i have to pay for the files i already have?

1 minute ago, Myla said:

is there a way to get the OS that is built into my computer onto the usb or do i have to pay for the files i already have?

If you purchased a PC with Windows preinstalled, that copy of Windows is tied to the motherboard, and it won't matter what drive it's installed on. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

1 minute ago, Myla said:

Windows 10/11 is downloaded using the Media Creation tool, its can be downloaded from the Microsoft website for free and used to create a USB/ISO that you can use/ burn to a USB to then reinstall your Windows. to the SSD in your case. before you go and install Windows again. MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE your personal files are backed up somewhere, not just when installing but in general. any important programs you need also should be backed up, your HDD shouldn't be touched in the install process. it might be best to take that drive out of the system when you install Windows to make sure nothing gets touched and plug it back in later so you can get your files and programs back onto your SSD. if you do do this make sure to not shock or Drop the Hard drive as that will cause damage and data Loss

thank you so much 🙂

use macrium reflect, it's free.

if you can clone the drive, i don't see why you ever need a reinstall. 

OS reinstallation is the last resort.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

2 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

if you can clone the drive, i don't see why you ever need a reinstall. 

Because it can cause issues down the road. In my opinion cloning should be a last resort. A clean installation will avoid all of those random issues that can show up later on. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

29 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

Because it can cause issues down the road. In my opinion cloning should be a last resort. A clean installation will avoid all of those random issues that can show up later on. 

cloning is like 1 hour tops.

reinstalling everything including the apps, hours.

if cloning failed, you then reinstall, it's worth the try.

not everyone have a complex system need to have a complete reinstallation.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Just now, SupaKomputa said:

I never said anything about having a complex Windows installation. I've seen nearly bare Windows installations get screwed up when being cloned. Go ahead and clone if you'd like, but I've seen far too many issues with cloned Windows installations for it to be worth my time. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

1 hour ago, SupaKomputa said:

In this case, it looks like OP is better off with a clean install to forgo any possible issues that might have been accumulated through out the years.

Cloning would make more sense either on fresh system with barebones/essential setup (and when such must be distributed - so time saving) or in specific case of software/settings preservation for whatever reason (like work-ready backup).

So it would be a much better approach to clone it after everything is freshly installed, for any future emergency.

10 hours ago, rikitikitavi said:

In this case, it looks like OP is better off with a clean install to forgo any possible issues that might have been accumulated through out the years.

Cloning would make more sense either on fresh system with barebones/essential setup (and when such must be distributed - so time saving) or in specific case of software/settings preservation for whatever reason (like work-ready backup).

So it would be a much better approach to clone it after everything is freshly installed, for any future emergency.

So in that case would cloning be better? I just bought this last week.

11 hours ago, BondiBlue said:

I never said anything about having a complex Windows installation. I've seen nearly bare Windows installations get screwed up when being cloned. Go ahead and clone if you'd like, but I've seen far too many issues with cloned Windows installations for it to be worth my time. 

5 hours ago, Myla said:

It’s a brand new pc with an HDD for a primary drive?

Is it full of manufacturer’s bloatware?

And you have the Windows license key sticker glued to the side of the case?

Got your MOBO drivers available?

Your choice. I’d get a fresh Windows

18 hours ago, BionicSeaSerpent said:

17 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

5 hours ago, Myla said:

This is why you should always create a 60GB partition for installing windows and make the rest of the drive a separate partition.  You can do full wipes without thinking about it.  It makes troubleshooting a lot easier as a windows reinstall takes 20 minutes, whereas surgically diagnosing a lot of problems can take hours. Do not clone it, just take the L, reinstall windows, and forget about all the extra software that came with the PC.  You don't need it, and you really don't want it.  This may actually be for the best, as a lot of users may never notice all the bloatware that comes preinstalled on these OEM PCs.

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

its very... easy

macrium reflect ,you need an usb to sata cable for 2.5" ,otherwise external enclosure,  attach drive with USB to PC, in macrium reflect select "clone", let it clone the full drive, turn off PC, swap drives, boot PC. Profit?

Done this a million times,  its *extremely* easy. The trick is obviously to use an external drive, clone and swap.  Windows isnt even noticing its a new drive lol.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 6/2/2022 at 1:52 PM, rikitikitavi said:

It’s a brand new pc with an HDD for a primary drive?

Is it full of manufacturer’s bloatware?

And you have the Windows license key sticker glued to the side of the case?

Got your MOBO drivers available?

Your choice. I’d get a fresh Windows

Not full of bloatware, it's not brand new, it's used. License key is not on the side. Idk about mobo. It's a dell optiplex 3020 from 2014.