Best Monitors under $200

AsianManiax

I've been looking up decent monitors under 200 USD for the past hour and while I found some decent options, I wanted some additional advice before making a final decision. Are there any monitors that you can attest for that is under 200 dollars?

8 minutes ago, AsianManiax said:

I've been looking up decent monitors under 200 USD for the past hour and while I found some decent options, I wanted some additional advice before making a final decision. Are there any monitors that you can attest for that is under 200 dollars?

If you live in the US (or to a lesser extent Canada) you can get killer monitors on eBay for that.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, dizmo said:

If you live in the US (or to a lesser extent Canada) you can get killer monitors on eBay for that.

I would recommend going local instead of eBay personally, in my experience no one on eBay actually knows how to ship a monitor (I've had 2 different ones arrive cracked because they were improperly packaged) and it sucks having to go through the eBay appeals process because it arrived broken.

9 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I would recommend going local instead of eBay personally, in my experience no one on eBay actually knows how to ship a monitor (I've had 2 different ones arrive cracked because they were improperly packaged) and it sucks having to go through the eBay appeals process because it arrived broken.

You're covered 100% by eBay though, so damage isn't really a concern. You can also find a ton that are in the original box, which is exactly how any large retailer will ship the monitor to you. eBay appeals are extremely easy, they're just time consuming.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

You're covered 100% by eBay though, so damage isn't really a concern. You can also find a ton that are in the original box, which is exactly how any large retailer will ship the monitor to you. eBay appeals are extremely easy, they're just time consuming.

It's time I'd rather not have to spend on getting a monitor appealed. If you can confirm it's shipping in the original box and packaging it's probably fine, but it's still probably a good idea to go local listing instead since a) you don't have to risk the person not shipping it properly (I.E. forgetting to put the foam back in the box) and b) shipping a monitor is pretty expensive so it can be quite a bit cheaper get one on Craigslist/FB Marketplace/OfferUp/wherever. 

52 minutes ago, AsianManiax said:

I would say that the AOC 24g2 is the defacto choice for most use cases under the 200 dollar mark

8086k Winner BABY!!

Main rig

CPU: R7 5800x3d (-25 all core CO 102 bclk)

Board: Gigabyte B550 AD UC

Cooler: Corsair H150i AIO

Ram: 32gb HP V10 RGB 3200 C14 (3733 C14) tuned subs

GPU: EVGA XC3 RTX 3080 (+120 core +950 mem 90% PL)

Case: Thermaltake H570 TG Snow Edition

PSU: Fractal ION Plus 760w Platinum  

SSD: 1tb Teamgroup MP34  2tb Mushkin Pilot-E

Monitors: 32" Samsung Odyssey G7 (1440p 240hz), Some FHD Acer 24" VA

GFs System

CPU: E5 1660v3 (4.3ghz 1.2v)

Mobo: Gigabyte x99 UD3P

Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO

Ram: 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 C16 (3000 C14)

GPU: EVGA RTX 2060 Super 

Case: Phanteks P400A Mesh

PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650w

SSD: Kingston NV1 2tb

Monitors: 27" Viotek GFT27DB (1440p 144hz), Some 24" BENQ 1080p IPS

@TheDankKooshMSI G241/G242 (same panel as AOC 24G2 just lacks ergonomics, can't change height etc). Asus TUF Gaming VG249Q also has the same panel, but HardwareUnboxed mentioned he doesn't recommend it anymore in his last video (double check why).

5 hours ago, TheDankKoosh said:

I would say that the AOC 24g2 is the defacto choice for most use cases under the 200 dollar mark

In the last roundup from Hardware Unboxed Tim again chose the AOC 24G2 as the best 1080p value monitor. He reviewed a lot of monitors, including cheap ones. But he never managed to find one that is so good for it's price.

So yes, if the budget is around $200 US then the AOC 24G2 is as good as it gets.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

@AsianManiax @Stahlmann MSI G241 is actually better calibrated out of factory than the AOC 24G2. The reason HardwareUnboxed doesn't mention it is because:

1. No ergonomic adjustments and large inefficient base

2. Power brick/power delivery not integrated in the monitor

For me personally both of those ended up being a pro instead of a con due to:

1. Me already having a monitor arm

2. Having the power brick on the table meant the monitor was lighter, ergo more synergy with no.1

As for the other stuff like I said color calibration wise, the MSI is better than the AOC from the little time I had with both, and the Interface is fine with both.