RGB FUSION 2.0 killing DDR3 RAM

Go to solution Solved by Guest,

I've been into PC hardware overclocking and PC modifications for many of years now. Have seen a many things. 

To enlighten with useful information, rather than the usual banter, a simple google search with RGB software and issues is more common than people might think.

The reason is there's an RGB controller on the memory for the lighting. Well that works through the SPD chip everyone seems to back and forth on if it's a bios or not. In a sense yes. Strictly speaking no. 

Can you write to memory and create profiles for your stick as a customization, YES you can indeed.

Hopefully that settles some of the mis-com here in this thread.

Now KNOWING that software can brick hardware (any on any) from past to present, you all CAN enjoy the moment that it's entirely possible. 

Research software just like you do your hardware.

1stly, I don't use OC tools (software) for windows installations and tweaking (overclocking). Most of the time, software overclocking makes an unstable (prematurely) system over a bios overclock. Well the reason is because the software uses resources. 

Now the hardware side, and a little of my own opinion there....

I wouldn't drop a 3090 into an H81 chipset board (50 bucks worth of omg, just don't do it) and then expect anything significant from it. There's literally no reason that I could figure out to drop a 1000$ card into a rig that's worth than 150$ total. You should be able to build around that card with a 10700K do some overclocking and Run really nice 4K video (gaming, streaming.... w/e you wanted basically).

Memory. The handling of memory. Drop a stick and it could very well break. Then take other sticks out with it. The possibilities are endless. Obviously we are not sitting there with you, but I feel there's something missing here. She murdered him in the kitchen, on sept 14th, but can't figure out where the butler went. But there's something I'm missing from the very short story of this thread.

G'Night.

Hi I really need help confirming that it's not just my setup.

So I got myself a Gigabyte RTX 3090 master, installed it on my test bench, a Asus H81-Plus build, I installed gigabyte RGB fusion 2.0 program as suggested by Aorus engine.

I set the colour to change with the GPU temperature and I also set the small screen on the side of the Graphics card to display the temperature, vram, GPU usage etc via the RGB fusion 2.0 program, once I restarted my computer, it wouldn't boot up, not even to bios, I've narrowed it down to this program killing the ram, perhaps it's trying to write to the ram sticks bios or something, happened on three different sets of ram, at one point, I just went to uninstall the program but it also killed the set of rams in the machine that was used just to boot into windows.

I've not tried this on any ddr4 system as I don't want to risk it.. was hoping Linus could make a video on this as Gigabyte have taken the piss. I emailed Gigabyte and didn't get any response from them, it's like the classic bios corruption virus, you don't expect a software to go around flashing settings on incompatible hardware destroying them.

Can anyone please confirm if they are getting the some issue.

Thanks

20220506_020955.jpg

20220506_020951.jpg

20220506_020940.jpg

How'd you verify the sticks are dead?

2 minutes ago, AlfredManner said:

ram sticks bios

Do RAM sticks have bios.....

3 minutes ago, AlfredManner said:

I've narrowed it down to this program killing the ram

How? That sounds roughly impossible to me.

Something else must be going on.

Gigabutt strikes again 👌🏻

Sorry to hear of your troubles. 

Don’t buy Gigabyte, they have become an even shittier company than they were before.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

20 minutes ago, KingTdiGGiTTy said:

Because leaving everything untouched and replacing the ram got the system to boot, once RGB fusion auto loaded on system boot, I assume it tried setting all the LEDs to the preset settings, when I uninstalled RGB fusion and replace th ram with another set computer booted and working without any issues no matter how many times I rebooted the system.

As for your question, do ram have bios, where else do you think RAM stick brand, ram chip manufacturer, density/capacity information is stored?

I've circled the bios ic in the following pictures

20220506_020940.jpg

Screenshot_20220510-201205_Gallery.jpg

8 minutes ago, KingTdiGGiTTy said:

It's gigabyte RGB fusion software it was supposed to work synchronise the RGB LEDs of gigabyte RGB fusion stips, RGB SSD, RGB RAM sticks, RGB graphics etc.

3 minutes ago, freeagent said:

Gigabutt strikes again 👌🏻

Sorry to hear of your troubles. 

Don’t buy Gigabyte, they have become an even shittier company than they were before.

Thanks for the reply, I've seen this more and more these days compared to back then in the P3 era they were solid builds, I've had better luck with Asus to be honest. But boycotting is one thing, but something like this I had hoped Linus could shed some light on it.

I see absolutely no sensible way a software can kill your rams let alone that fast.

Just because it happened on an old system with extremely power hungry graphics card, my suspect is either you had a power feed related issue or just wrong place at the wrong time type of situation.

In any case 1 example is not enough to come to bizzare conclusions like this.

I have been using RGB Fusion 2.0 just fine for the last 7 months.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 minute ago, Levent said:

I see absolutely no sensible way a software can kill your rams let alone that fast.

Just because it happened on an old system with extremely power hungry graphics card, my suspect is either you had a power feed related issue or just wrong place at the wrong time type of situation.

In any case 1 example is not enough to come to bizzare conclusions like this.

I have been using RGB Fusion 2.0 just fine for the last 7 months.

Indeed, have you tired it on a DDR3 system? Just having the software running using onboard graphics still managed to kill another pair of ram, if it was a power issues, the system would have abruptly shut down when GPU under load. I should know as one or my other systems did that. I'm no noob to system builds, I've been building systems as far back as 2002, RAM being volatile memory, you'd think the classic switching it off for a few minutes would solve it but no, not when this software tried writing and corrupted the flash rom on the memory stick themselves, how else do you think RGB fusion 2.0 sets gigabyte aorus RAM stick LED colours.

If required, I could get a new set of ddr3 ram just to make a YouTube video and post it, good thing about that is I could return the dead rams for a refund.

13 minutes ago, AlfredManner said:

Indeed, have you tired it on a DDR3 system? Just having the software running using onboard graphics still managed to kill another pair of ram, if it was a power issues, the system would have abruptly shut down when GPU under load. I should know as one or my other systems did that. I'm no noob to system builds, I've been building systems as far back as 2002, RAM being volatile memory, you'd think the classic switching it off for a few minutes would solve it but no, not when this software tried writing and corrupted the flash rom on the memory stick themselves, how else do you think RGB fusion 2.0 sets gigabyte aorus RAM stick LED colours.

If required, I could get a new set of ddr3 ram just to make a YouTube video and post it, good thing about that is I could return the dead rams for a refund.

How would running a software on DDR3 would be any different from running it on DDR4? Sounds like you got motherboard,CPU or PSU related issues, software has NOTHING to do with your problems.

If you are that certain that your issue is related to the software, get another DDR3 system with completely different parts (motherboard, cpu, new rams, psu) install rgb fusion 2.0 and see if it happens.

Just because you killed 3 sets of rams using same psu same motherboard and same CPU doesnt make it the softwares fault. You still got atleast 3 constants in your equation (CPU, motherboard, PSU).

Also if you had issues on +12v rail these issues can be made worse with a card like 3090 and cheapo old motherboard like that.

Also that whole I have been building PCs since 2002 argument is just pointless.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

20 minutes ago, AlfredManner said:

Yeah chief, sounds like your motherboard is killing the ram sticks, but you do you, keep putting new ram sticks into that mobo and blaming whatever next program you install for killing them when it eventually happens again.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

15 minutes ago, Levent said:

How would running a software on DDR3 would be any different from running it on DDR4? Sounds like you got motherboard,CPU or PSU related issues, software has NOTHING to do with your problems.

If you are that certain that your issue is related to the software, get another DDR3 system with completely different parts (motherboard, cpu, new rams, psu) install rgb fusion 2.0 and see if it happens.

Just because you killed 3 sets of rams using same psu same motherboard and same CPU doesnt make it the softwares fault. You still got atleast 3 constants in your equation (CPU, motherboard, PSU).

Also if you had issues on +12v rail these issues can be made worse with a card like 3090 and cheapo old motherboard like that.

Also that whole I have been building PCs since 2002 argument is just pointless.

If that was the case, and I believe you missed the part that said this was a test bench system, meaning it's not had any issues no matter what I threw at it until I installed this software. Now I didn't expect gigabyte bots to be on here banging on about how great gigabyte are when so many have already confirmed how crap gigabyte have become over the years. No matter if I get 3 different builds and made YouTube videos, some will still not believe, this is called being a bot, you believe a Corsair HX1000w isn't sufficient enough to run on the onboard intel graphics, you'll go and blame everything but this crappy badly written by Indian programmers software.

Just now, AlfredManner said:

If that was the case, and I believe you missed the part that said this was a test bench system, meaning it's not had any issues no matter what I threw at it until I installed this software. Now I didn't expect gigabyte bots to be on here banging on about how great gigabyte are when so many have already confirmed how crap gigabyte have become over the years. No matter if I get 3 different builds and made YouTube videos, some will still not believe, this is called being a bot, you believe a Corsair HX1000w isn't sufficient enough to run on the onboard intel graphics, you'll go and blame everything but this crappy badly written by Indian programmers software.

You have not done any systematic testing and calling me a gigabyte bot? Your data backs nothing up, so please cry me a river for not believing you.

I must be new to PC world as I didnt know test benches were invincible.

I dont believe you, go ahead build 3 different systems using all different parts and record gigabyte RGB Fusion 2.0 killing your rams in all 3 of them.

11 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Yeah chief, sounds like your motherboard is killing the ram sticks, but you do you, keep putting new ram sticks into that mobo and blaming whatever next program you install for killing them when it eventually happens again.

Indeed, I've had zero issues with this system, I've even had it running for two months mining Eth without any issues whatsoever until I installed RGB fusion 2.0. I'm going to see if I can get ahold of another old ddr3 systems, perhaps one of my upload system and see if this isses still happens, might see if I can find a complete set of components new on ebay or something, at the moment, the Corsair CX750 is able to run this Gigabyte RTX 3090 plus an HP RTX 2060 without any issues but I'd dare not install RGB fusion

Screenshot_20220510-211512_Moonlight.jpg

Screenshot_20220510-211520_Moonlight.jpg

Screenshot_20220510-211530_Moonlight.jpg

2 hours ago, AlfredManner said:

Because leaving everything untouched and replacing the ram got the system to boot, once RGB fusion auto loaded on system boot, I assume it tried setting all the LEDs to the preset settings, when I uninstalled RGB fusion and replace th ram with another set computer booted and working without any issues no matter how many times I rebooted the system.

As for your question, do ram have bios, where else do you think RAM stick brand, ram chip manufacturer, density/capacity information is stored?

Hate to break it to you boss but that's not a BIOS, that an SPD chip

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 hours ago, AlfredManner said:

You circled the SPD chip, which communicates to the system the voltage, bus width, etc. of the stick

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

I have not heard of software killing hardware like this before. I mean, with Gigabyte, I wouldn't rule anything out. Fuck those guys. Too bad you didn't have another board to try out that ram. I'm curious if the SPD became corrupted or if the hardware is actually dead.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

23 minutes ago, freeagent said:

I have not heard of software killing hardware like this before. I mean, with Gigabyte, I wouldn't rule anything out. Fuck those guys. Too bad you didn't have another board to try out that ram. I'm curious if the SPD became corrupted or if the hardware is actually dead.

I still have those rams at home and I could try them out on another motherboard, at the same time, I have a CH341A flasher, I'm no stranger to flash recovering, I also have an identical pair of ballistix ram, so I shall get to the bottom of exactly what happened to these, it's just sad that I come here with the hope others could confirm if it was just my set up and instead I end up getting all these bots talking crap. I'll update once I get around to seeing what went wrong or if these boot on another ddr3 system etc.

On 5/10/2022 at 10:17 PM, Elisis said:

You circled the SPD chip, which communicates to the system the voltage, bus width, etc. of the stick

Yeah, basically the same as a bios boot.rom, without a GUI, a silent BIOS, like the ones on graphics card etc/ a boot.rom with information that is read by the motherboard. "where else do you think RAM stick brand, ram chip manufacturer, density/capacity information etc is stored" 😒

3 hours ago, AlfredManner said:

Yeah, basically the same as a bios boot.rom, without a GUI, a silent BIOS, like to the ones on graphics card etc/ a boot.rom with inform that is read by the motherboard. "where else do you think RAM stick brand, ram chip manufacturer, density/capacity information etc is stored" 😒

but... that's accessed just by the ram stick lmao. That can't be overwritten. 

Your motherboard or PSU is killing the RAM, stop blaming software.

Or am I a Gigabyte bot for saying this? 

6 hours ago, AlfredManner said:

It's gigabyte RGB fusion software it was supposed to work synchronise the RGB LEDs of gigabyte RGB fusion stips, RGB SSD, RGB RAM sticks, RGB graphics etc.

I know what the software is

I don't think it would  manage, no mater how much you screwed up, to kill a RAM stick

I've been into PC hardware overclocking and PC modifications for many of years now. Have seen a many things. 

To enlighten with useful information, rather than the usual banter, a simple google search with RGB software and issues is more common than people might think.

The reason is there's an RGB controller on the memory for the lighting. Well that works through the SPD chip everyone seems to back and forth on if it's a bios or not. In a sense yes. Strictly speaking no. 

Can you write to memory and create profiles for your stick as a customization, YES you can indeed.

Now KNOWING that software can brick hardware (any on any) from past to present, you all CAN enjoy the moment that it's entirely possible. 

1stly, I don't use OC tools (software) for windows installations and tweaking (overclocking). Most of the time, software overclocking makes an unstable (prematurely) system over a bios overclock. Well the reason is because the software uses resources. 

I wouldn't drop a 3090 into an H81 chipset board (50 bucks worth of omg, just don't do it) and then expect anything significant from it. There's literally no reason that I could figure out to drop a 1000$ card into a rig that's worth than 150$ total. You should be able to build around that card with a 10700K do some overclocking and Run really nice 4K video (gaming, streaming.... w/e you wanted basically).

Memory. The handling of memory. Drop a stick and it could very well break. Then take other sticks out with it. The possibilities are endless. Obviously we are not sitting there with you, but I feel there's something missing here. She murdered him in the kitchen, on sept 14th, but can't figure out where the butler went. But there's something I'm missing from the very short story of this thread.

G'Night.

On 5/11/2022 at 3:22 AM, Guest 5150 said:

G'Night.

No I was just testing my kit so to speak with different PSU, ultimately it went into a am4 ryzen 5950 system purely for mining, it was alarming for me that a hardware company would make such a bad software that goes around killing memory sticks, like if I was to get an old sata1 cards or even an pcix to ide and connect and old IDE hdd to the latest threadripper, I'd still be able to install windows 11 on it, like it wouldn't destroy any of my other hardware.

I'm glad there's people on here that actually have any commonsense and not just show botisim.

Thank for your informative response, and I can confirm I was able to get those killed ddr3 rams working again by backing up the SPD IC from an identical working stick. And yes, I was able to kill it again with that shit software on a different system, this time on an AMD phenom X6.

So to conclude, for future reference if anyone goes googling this, yes it was indeed RGB Fusion 2.0 that killed my DDR rams, there was also some post I come across where it even corrupted some guys Windows installation and killed his SSD, it's only for a light snow so it's really not worth the trouble.

• 4 weeks later...

Ho guys, i hope this topic still open. I'm italian videogamer, game modder and 3d hobbiest artist. I love computer. So, i havent the same problem of Alfred. This is my PC config:

CPU : Intel i7 2600k ( never overclocked )

Mobo : Asus Maximus IV Extreme

RAM : 24 GB Patriot 1600 MHz ( buying the last gennuary )

HDD Sumsung Evo 750 120gb ( only for Windows 10 )

PSU : Therlmaltake Trought Power 875

GPU : Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 6gb

CUP Cooler : Nzxt Kraken 120 AIO

Case : Nzxt Phantom

In this last 10 years i not change CPU, Mobo, PSU and Case.

Two years ago i buy the Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660. After this card i never seeing bllue screen anymore. But one day, when i try to update the Aurous Engine from Gigabyte i'm going in this issue and a disinstalled correclty the software, after the reboot i see error code 20 on my motherboard display and the PC was stuck. I take one RAM from my father PC and my PC was alive again. And some day ago i make the same mistake, because i buy the Kraken 120 AIO and the RGB Fusion was in conflit with Cam Software from Nzxt.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2022 at 12:46 PM, AlfredManner said:

No I was just testing my kit so to speak with different PSU, ultimately it went into a am4 ryzen 5950 system purely for mining, it was alarming for me that a hardware company would make such a bad software that goes around killing memory sticks, like if I was to get an old sata1 cards or even an pcix to ide and connect and old IDE hdd to the latest threadripper, I'd still be able to install windows 11 on it, like it wouldn't destroy any of my other hardware.

I'm glad there's people on here that actually have any commonsense and not just show botisim.

Thank for your informative response, and I can confirm I was able to get those killed ddr3 rams working again by backing up the SPD IC from an identical working stick. And yes, I was able to kill it again with that shit software on a different system, this time on an AMD phenom X6.

So to conclude, for future reference if anyone goes googling this, yes it was indeed RGB Fusion 2.0 that killed my DDR rams, there was also some post I come across where it even corrupted some guys Windows installation and killed his SSD, it's only for a light snow so it's really not worth the trouble.

Hi, I’ve had the same problem. Installed RGB fusion on a Z77 G55 MB with 2x4 DDR3 and it bricked the RAM. Used a different 4 GB DDR3 stick and booted up just fine into the bios.  After your posts I wanted to make sure RGB fusion was uninstalled using safe mode, but I failed to enter safe mode… I uninstalled RGB fusion in normal boot mode, but afterwards the system would not boot anymore. Installed a new DDR3 module and the system boots up just fine. The problem seems to be solved now, because I can now restart the pc without any issues. 

So to sum up, the RGB fusion software corrupted 3 of my RAM modules. I was wondering how you were able to flash the SPD’s of your modules. I really want to make them work again. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/17/2022 at 9:52 AM, WayneLegacy said:

Hi, I’ve had the same problem. Installed RGB fusion on a Z77 G55 MB with 2x4 DDR3 and it bricked the RAM. Used a different 4 GB DDR3 stick and booted up just fine into the bios.  After your posts I wanted to make sure RGB fusion was uninstalled using safe mode, but I failed to enter safe mode… I uninstalled RGB fusion in normal boot mode, but afterwards the system would not boot anymore. Installed a new DDR3 module and the system boots up just fine. The problem seems to be solved now, because I can now restart the pc without any issues. 

So to sum up, the RGB fusion software corrupted 3 of my RAM modules. I was wondering how you were able to flash the SPD’s of your modules. I really want to make them work again. 

Doing some research I have found that there a many suffering this issue, I am in the process of contacting gigabyte to have them run lab tests, unfortunately I've not need able to get time to try recovering these killed rams,

I can't believe there are guys debating that it wasn't this RGB Fusion to my OP. You expect more smarter people more tech-savvy to be on this forum. The link below shows others experiencing this issue. At the moment gigabyte are also finding it difficult to understand that their software is killing older hardware.