Shiver me timbers! The harbours are under attack, mateys! - Sweeping legal ruling orders ISPs to block pirate sites

Lightwreather

Summary

A copyright battle has spawned a sweeping order demanding internet service providers block a set of pirate sites — one of the broadest such rulings to date.

As TorrentFreak recently reported, a New York district judge ruled in late April on a series of copyright lawsuits against three sites that rebroadcast mostly Hebrew-language television. The rightsholders demanded monetary damages from the site operators — who didn’t show up in court — and an injunction meant to prevent viewers from accessing the services.

Judge Katherine Polk Failla approved the request and ordered a voluminous list of ISPs to block Israeli-TV.com, Israel.tv, and Sdarot.com. The companies are required to block not only the current addresses but also any domain known to be “used in the future ... by any technological means available.” Users should instead be directed to a page that notifies them of the block.

It’s not just ISPs that are affected either. Web hosting providers, web designers, domain name registration services, and advertising companies — among others — are all barred from doing business with the sites.

Quotes

Copyright suits can ask for blocking orders. But it’s highly unusual for them to be this comprehensive, says Meredith Rose, senior policy counsel of the nonprofit Public Knowledge. “That scope of the injunction and listing that many players in it is beyond the norm,” she says. Among other things, third parties are supposed to get a chance to show up in court and contest blocking orders, which raises the barrier to demanding them. That doesn’t appear to have happened in this case.

Instead, as Mike Masnick of Techdirt outlines, the order is reminiscent of the Stop Online Piracy Act or SOPA-PIPA — a highly controversial bill that was scuttled after widespread protests in 2012.

“It is exactly what the content lobby has been pushing to get and explicitly lobbying for for years now. This is sort of a dream scenario for a lot of them,” says Rose. “Rightsholders want to be able to go into court and quickly and easily get one order that they could then hold out to the world that says: do not interact with this particular website.”

ISPs and other companies — or the defendants — could still contest the order. But it’s not clear the biggest players are going to. AT&T declined to comment on whether it would dispute the decision, and Verizon didn’t respond to a request for comment. (Charter didn’t immediately respond to a more recently made request.) Comcast also declined to say whether it would push back on the injunction but offered slightly more detail. “We only recently learned about it and the implications and are still examining it,” said spokesperson Sena Fitzmaurice.

My thoughts

Huh, well Good luck with that. Seriously, good luck with that. The ports that harbour those that sail the high seas are quite hardy. They'll move to another place should one location be impractical. "Ah," but I hear you say, "The court ruling also states that ISPs should block all future domains." Well, it becomes a game of Whack-a-mole then. And when there upwards of a hundred moles, well I think you can see the issue. To be clear, I'm not advocating Piracy, you should always pay for the stuff you use when possible but the simple fact of the matter is Piracy will never fully go away.

Sources

TheVerge

TorrentFreak

Court docs (hosted by TorrentFreak) - One, Two, Three

TechDirt

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

15 minutes ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

ou should always pay for the stuff you use when possible

unless its an EA game /s

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

There always be pirates, harr harr...

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Cut off one head, two more shall takes its place !

Also .. VPN ..just saying.

Seriously, a government would have to put blanked bans of any software or service that protects privacy to outright enable preventative measures such as these to actually work. To do that would be a massive curtailing of an individuals rights.

So ..this is more of a self soothing gesture that makes said courts feel like they are actually doing something. Chances are those putting forth these orders actually have no clue on the subject matter, they're not experts on the matter so likely have no idea how ineffective they are being.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

7 hours ago, Helpful Tech Wiard said:

unless its an EA game /s

Specifically games like Spore.

Where you have a limited amount of installs you can do

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

Unbound in resolver mode+DNSSEC enabled, there goes the useless block...... (Switching away from ISP provided DNS also works, preferably to somehing that supports tls.)

hehe, feels like the lead is buried.

8 hours ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

The companies are required to block not only the current addresses but also any domain known to be “used in the future ... by any technological means available.”

This is the headline/scary part of the ruling.  If it's just blocking the domain, that's perfectly okay with me.  Blocking all "future" access is one where it goes too far.

Not sure what happens if the defendants switch IP addresses and create a new website...as it would be impossible to claim they are the same people (so not sure the court order would apply).  Another issue though is what the ISP's are suppose to do.  They would effectively need to monitor all domains being presented with the IP address...redirect.  From there the ISP's would need to also put up a redirect on the IP address...but then that gets an issue of them literally performing a MITM attack.

It just seems like it's overly broad the order (in that it makes additional policing by saying future onto the ISP's).

12 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Unbound in resolver mode+DNSSEC enabled, there goes the useless block...... (Switching away from ftom ISP provided DNS also works, preferably to somehing that supports tls.)

Betting it's going to expand to all US based DNS servers.

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

2 minutes ago, wanderingfool2 said:

Betting it's going to expand to all US based DNS servers.

Unbound in resolver  mode queries the root servers, and there are dns servers outside the US....

21 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Unbound in resolver  mode queries the root servers, and there are dns servers outside the US....

Except that the DNS query result times will start getting high, given you now have to send packets over the ocean and back

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

14 minutes ago, wanderingfool2 said:

Except that the DNS query result times will start getting high, given you now have to send packets over the ocean and back

.1 sec isnt the end of the world. IDK about the US ISP DNS servers but in my case the ISP server was junk. Didnt notice any slowdown when switched on resolver mode.... (Also there is an option to renew cache entries before they expire.)

1 hour ago, wanderingfool2 said:

DNS forwarders cache returned results and so do clients, that's what the TTL is for. It'll be "slow" once then never.

I would question the viability of the enforcement of the Order. Some ISPs will probably fight it just because it's overly broad and likely far outside of the Courts jurisdiction and authority.

I wouldn't disagree with the decision if it was linked to longer support or forced open sourcing of 'end of life' software, games, tv shows etc.

Take XBox game pass, recently removed games like FF6 thru 9 just because they wanted to (or square enix is downsizing) so any progress you made is tied to waiting for them to come back or start over. I know you can get them on steam and that's a huge benefit but it's just one example of what happens, which also happens to a ton of software you can only get through torrents since the company was purchased.

I can understand new stuff, but after 5-10 years who's paying $30-50 for a movie so they can watch it whenever they want without worrying it will change streaming services or just evaporate to the void.

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

10 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

I would question the viability of the enforcement of the Order. Some ISPs will probably fight it just because it's overly broad and likely far outside of the Courts jurisdiction and authority.

Agree.  This type of authority would have to come from legislation and not be at the whim of technically inept judging randomly creating blacklists of domains and then punting to ISPs to figure out how to make them permanently unavailable.  Effectively this is extending "punishment" to bystanders.  

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

8 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Agree.  This type of authority would have to come from legislation and not be at the whim of technically inept judging randomly creating blacklists of domains and then punting to ISPs to figure out how to make them permanently unavailable.  Effectively this is extending "punishment" to bystanders.  

This actually happened in Canada with Black Rifle coffee, their website was blocked nationally following a change in gun sale laws even though they have nothing to do with guns outside of being set up by veterans.

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

"freespeechlol"

But not great if the content you want to watch, is only accessed by pirated content or due to censorship etc. but those big pirates do be looking scary though! 😮 🏴‍☠️

Thankfully someone has this massive list of GOG torrent links. I will die of old age before I finish playing all these games.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

It's the US, their government treat copyright too seriously because the Hollywood lobbying elites control it, and the Hollywood elites decided to block pirate sites of... Israeli TV?

I really don't get the idea of why they should just block those specific sites other than just to maintain the US-Israel relationship.

are ISPs doing more than DNS blocking? because you could just set a different dns server in your router.

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3