budget build

bew

Budget (including currency): 700-1000 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: vr gaming

1 monitor 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hyBdH2

If you don't need a headset, this is what you should get, though you should probably get the GPU directly from EVGA B stock instead for $370. The RX 6600 (XT) is a better card for the price, but I've had issues with AMD cards in the past for VR gaming (lots of stutters even though the FPS was good) so while it might've improved in the past year or two since I've run an AMD card on there I'd be very hesitant to recommend them for VR. 

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

If you don't need a headset, this is what you should get, though you should probably get the GPU directly from EVGA B stock instead for $370. The RX 6600 (XT) is a better card for the price, but I've had issues with AMD cards in the past for VR gaming (lots of stutters even though the FPS was good) so while it might've improved in the past year or two since I've run an AMD card on there I'd be very hesitant to recommend them for VR. 

i forgot to say i need it to be from amazon only, i have amazon gift cards lol

Depends on the games, your headset and what you're willing to sacrifice.

PC VR gaming still requires quite powerful hardware to get constant 90+ fps at over 4k with settings cranked up. As such an i3 with a 3060 may not provide the best result for you. But if you're fine with low/medium graphics and maybe 45fps, it will probably be ok. Though keep in mind this might make you motion sick since that framerate would be too low for VR. A 3060ti would be a much better card for VR with nearly 30% performance increase for just a bit more money.

If it's just to watch videos though ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)  , it would do fine, but for that a Quest + DLNA would be better. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 hour ago, bew said:

i forgot to say i need it to be from amazon only, i have amazon gift cards lol

You can up the CPU to the 12400F, swap the RAM kit, and swap the 3060 for a worse model to stay on Amazon.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qMJHGL

I wouldn't really go for a system below this spec though

You need an SSD in that build, an HDD only system in 2022 is just painfully slow to use. Even the $20 ones are OK enough.

Also save up the extra $50-100 to go Alder Lake over 10th gen, it's consistently a lot faster and worth the extra money.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Hn3kJM
VR games tend to be mainly GPU heavy

Recent gen cpu will be amazing for VR
Good CPU cooler (stock coolers dont tend to be great)
NVME SSD, running OS on HDD is super slow (example here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3AMz-xZ2VM)
6600XT similar performance for around the same price
more properly specced psu (550W is plenty for this build, could go with 600w or 650w if you plan to make huge upgrades in coming years)
better monitor. its IPS instead of VA (VA has the best contrast ratio, a little better color accuracy than TN, a little better viewing angles, and the worst response times. IPS has a little better contrast than TN, the best color accuracy, the best viewing angles, and (at this point) response times comparable to TN.)
this will almost definitally be able to handle most VR games including vrchat, Beat saber etc.
Total: $1135.71 usd
if you want to decrease price you can downgrade cpu to 12100f, or set the 6600XT to a 6600 (non XT). This is a good pc though. just a little more than you were going to pay for a large performance increase

34 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Even the $20 ones are OK enough.

Honestly the inland ones microcenter sells for $18 are fast enough for a regular user to never notice them.  I'd say that's better than OK enough.

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

5 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

RDNA has resolved this, that was a problem with polaris/vega being inefficient and generally slower than pascal.  RDNA2 is great for VR. 

That took me less than 2 minutes on google.  

Also, core count usage is generally a lot lower for VR gaming than normal games, so why swap a CPU and downgrade GPU?  

16 minutes ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

Also, core count usage is generally a lot lower for VR gaming than normal games, so why swap a CPU and downgrade GPU?  

PCPartPicker didn't have the 12100F available on Amazon, and didn't feel like checking to see if it was. They needed to buy from Amazon for whatever reason. 

17 minutes ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

That took me less than 2 minutes on google.  

Yeah, though if you looked for the RX480/580 when it came out, they were called good budget VR cards when they are just (in my experience) not. I'm not saying they haven't been figured out, but for VR I would just trust a Nvidia card more than I'd trust an AMD card. 

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

PCPartPicker didn't have the 12100F available on Amazon, and didn't feel like checking to see if it was. They needed to buy from Amazon for whatever reason. 

Yeah, though if you looked for the RX480/580 when it came out, they were called good budget VR cards when they are just (in my experience) not. I'm not saying they haven't been figured out, but for VR I would just trust a Nvidia card more than I'd trust an AMD card. 

They are both using totally different architectures dude.  Back then global foundries was making pretty much everything for AMD, its not even the same silicon.  I would drop that mindset quick.

6 minutes ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

They are both using totally different architectures dude.  Back then global foundries was making pretty much everything for AMD, its not even the same silicon.  I would drop that mindset quick.

I'll try it again when I've got the time (I own a 6900XT in my main rig) but until I've seen that it's not a stuttery mess I won't recommend it over a card I know will definitely work. 

It's the same reason I don't recommend AMD CPUs with VR systems, not because AMD's performance sucks or anything, but because I've seen it first hand (and have seen similar reports on other forums) that there can be a lot of issues getting stuff to run (I had an issue on back on 2nd gen Ryzen where if my OS was installed on a NVMe drive it would blue screen when I went to launch SteamVR, and if I used the Vive wireless adapter it would blue screen within a minute of boot up unless it was in the primary PCIe slot instead of my GPU). Again, they might've been fixed, but that was at the point that Zen had matured a bit and there were still those weird issues. VR is the only area where I've seen these types of problems show up, and they're a lot more noticeable than on a monitor. 

I'm not an Intel/Nvidia fanboy or anything, my systems have been Ryzen (currently 5900X) for a while and GPU has been AMD for the past couple weeks and do love both of them, I just can't in good faith recommend something that I don't trust won't have issues, whether it be drivers, architecture, or the system just some random incompatibility.

-- Threads merged --

Please don't make multiple threads for the same build.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

For around $1000, you can build something like this....

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12400F 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor ($159.99 @ Amazon) 

Motherboard: ASRock B660M Pro RS Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Newegg) 

Memory: Neo Forza FAYE 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg Sellers) 

Storage: Silicon Power P34A80 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($89.99 @ Amazon) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 6700 XT 12 GB EAGLE Video Card ($499.98 @ Newegg) 

Case: Deepcool MATREXX 40 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($60.98 @ Newegg) 

Power Supply: MSI MPG A-GF 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ Amazon) 

Total: $1065.91

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-05-07 12:16 EDT-0400

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

10 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I'll try it again when I've got the time (I own a 6900XT in my main rig) but until I've seen that it's not a stuttery mess I won't recommend it over a card I know will definitely work. 

FWIW and a 6800xt =/= a 6700 xt, but I haven't had stuttering issues on a Quest 2 with link. 

The hard part with a 6700xt will be finding one with a USB C output.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?