Why My 4G LTE Router is Slow While its Unlimited Data?

JeanMikhael10
Go to solution Solved by Alex Atkin UK,
23 minutes ago, JeanMikhael10 said:

Otherwise i'll take 5g little expensive 300 dirhams (70 bucks approximately) 🙂

The thing is, unlimited speed and data simply means they do not artificially limit you when bandwidth is available.  It cannot make bandwidth appear out of thin air if there are too many customers using it at the same time.

All broadband is a best-effort network, as in it can suffer congestion somewhere between you and where you are trying to talk to.  Mobile broadband just happens to have the most potential for this happening at the local tower, or from the tower to the ISP core network.

DSL you have your own pipe of bandwidth to the cabinet or exchange (but you're sharing a bigger pipe at the other end), cable and usually fibre too will be shared amongst a certain number of other customers, its just the bandwidth available is potentially so much higher on fibre you're not likely to slow down as much.  Mobile broadband you're sharing the airwaves with everyone trying to talk to that tower and that can be hundreds of other people.  The same way if you have several devices all downloading over WiFi at the same time, the speed will be split between them.

Potentially 5G can be a bit more clever about it by having more antennas that can use a narrower beam so you aren't sharing with as many people across the radio waves, but ultimately its still a similar problem.

Another way of thinking of it is if you turn on every cold tap in the house at the same time, the pressure at each tap is reduced as turn more on as the same amount of water is being spread across multiple outlets. Would you call the water company a rip off for not being able to maintain the same pressure?

Hi, How u doing? I watch ur youtube videos everyday to make my internet faster, but I did like u did in your videos by changing router settings and it's still so slow, why? Because its 4g instead dsl cable? Should I upgrade to dsl router instead? I have 4g data on it monthly my mom she charges it, I'm located in United Arab Emirates, sharjah, so I'm going to mcdoanlds to get faster internet and high downloads like ubuntu etc, i wish u answer me and make a video and or episode on youtube it will be great, thanks alot for ur helpful videos, god bless u! 🙏🏼😎

Its most likely your ISP throttling your speed. "Unlimited" data plans are almost always throttled because of how wireless networks work, check your data plan's fine print.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

I speedtest it, one hour! it come 1 to 3 mbps one hour! 7 mbps and one hour! 20 to 40 mbps I think sim card internet is useless and weak, Its only made fast for a single phone or couple (mobile hotspot) device not More than that! 

5 minutes ago, Levent said:

Its most likely your ISP throttling your speed. "Unlimited" data plans are almost always throttled because of how wireless networks work, check your data plan's fine print.

True, I think they are scmmng me and scmmng others as well with this subscription! With unlimited data and speed, in reality only 400 mb per month we are putting, my second question, u think if we put more data in the sim card the faster internet will get or doesn't have relation with it? Thanks! 

5 minutes ago, JeanMikhael10 said:

I speedtest it, one hour! it come 1 to 3 mbps one hour! 7 mbps and one hour! 20 to 40 mbps I think sim card internet is useless and weak, Its only made fast for a single phone or couple (mobile hotspot) device not More than that! 

Wireless networks are very susceptible to congestion and signal quality issues in crowded areas like cities. There is nothing out of ordinary with the things you described. More people on the same frequency lower the bandwidth for individual clients. More obstruction means lower quality signal reception, meaning higher latency and lower bandwidth for clients.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

3 minutes ago, JeanMikhael10 said:

True, I think they are scmmng me and scmmng others as well with this subscription! With unlimited data and speed, in reality only 400 mb per month we are putting, my second question, u think if we put more data in the sim card the faster internet will get or doesn't have relation with it? Thanks! 

I'm not sure how it works in your area, but in North America you usually get a certain amount of "high speed" data per billing cycle. Once you use that up, you get dropped down to low speeds. Since they don't cut you off completely, they can say it's "unlimited data". You can usually get more high speed data if you want (at an additional fee, of course).

It's sneaky marketing, but I wouldn't call it a "scam" because it has to be clearly spelled out in your service contract.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

9 minutes ago, Levent said:

Wireless networks are very susceptible to congestion and signal quality issues in crowded areas like cities. There is nothing out of ordinary with the things you described. More people on the same frequency lower the bandwidth for individual clients. More obstruction means lower quality signal reception, meaning higher latency and lower bandwidth for clients.

Ahhh that's why, YES, I live in a city, not very busy city, but in a building with some wi-fi routers, only hot spot is called dlink its full signal (this one I think its affecting my net speed in my room unfortunately) under it there is road, and spineeys (like walmart people come to buy food and park their cars under my room) and my router is not front of the window because my bro doesn't let me put it there he gets so angry if i do it

9 minutes ago, JeanMikhael10 said:

Ah that's why, YES, I live in a city, not very busy city, but in a building with some wi-fi routers, only hot spot is called dlink its full signal (this one I think its affecting my net speed in my room unfortunately) under it there is road, and spineeys (like walmart people come to buy food and park their cars under my room)

UAE uses B3 (1800 MHz), B7 (2600 MHz), B20 (800 MHz), B42 (3500 MHz) bands and none of which are in 2.4Ghz or 5GHZ WLAN ranges. Meaning, your issue is not what you are hoping it is. Your issue is either frequency being crowded by other clients, your ISP throttling your connection or signal quality.

2 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

I'm not sure how it works in your area, but in North America you usually get a certain amount of "high speed" data per billing cycle. Once you use that up, you get dropped down to low speeds. Since they don't cut you off completely, they can say it's "unlimited data". You can usually get more high speed data if you want (at an additional fee, of course).

It's sneaky marketing, but I wouldn't call it a "scam" because it has to be clearly spelled out in your service contract.

Yes, they mentioned actually unlimited data and speed, but the speed is only problem, they make me so angry to a degree I hit all my devices on thr table and yell on them! 

Just now, Levent said:

UAE uses B3 (1800 MHz), B7 (2600 MHz), B20 (800 MHz), B42 (3500 MHz) bands are none of which are in 2.4Ghz or 5GHZ WLAN ranges. Meaning, your issue is not what you are hoping it is. Your issue is either frequency being crowded by other clients, your ISP throttling your connection or signal quality.

Yes true, and etisalat uses more of these bands meaning more coverage and speed, du opposite they use less of them! AND when i told them make it higher and faster, they told me upgrade ur connection INSTEAD they make it faster to me! 😠

6 minutes ago, Levent said:

UAE uses B3 (1800 MHz), B7 (2600 MHz), B20 (800 MHz), B42 (3500 MHz) bands are none of which are in 2.4Ghz or 5GHZ WLAN ranges. Meaning, your issue is not what you are hoping it is. Your issue is either frequency being crowded by other clients, your ISP throttling your connection or signal quality.

Ahhhh okay, now i got u!, there network antenna must be atleast 2.7 or 2.9 ghz because that's my router range INCLUDING 5 ghz too instead of mhz! Ahhh thays why its so slow! Makes sence! 🙂 and thanks alot, u full of taste! 😎👍I'll speak about it one more time otherwise i'll get dsl cable and comfort from this headache! 🙂

Just now, JeanMikhael10 said:

Ahhhh okay, now i got u!, there network antenna must be atleast 2.7 or 2.9 ghz because that's my router range INCLUDING 5 ghz too insteas of mhz! Ahhh thays why its so slow! Makes sence! 🙂 and thanks alot, u full of taste! 😎👍I'll speak about it one more time otherwise i'll get dsl cable and comfort from this headache! 🙂

No you didnt. Your connection is slow because of your 4G connection, not your WLAN.

7 minutes ago, JeanMikhael10 said:

Yes, they mentioned actually unlimited data and speed, but the speed is only problem, they make me so angry to a degree I hit all my devices on thr table and yell on them! 

Yes, they should increase and add speed to their network antennas! 🙂

1 minute ago, Levent said:

No you didnt. Your connection is slow because of your 4G connection, not your WLAN.

Ah, it must be WLAN Dsl connection, bit little more expensive 389 dirhams I don't know how much it equals in US Dollars say 100 dollars maybe? The current one i have is 200 dirhams PER month meaning approximately 60 dollars if im not mistaken! 🙂

5 minutes ago, Levent said:

23 minutes ago, JeanMikhael10 said:

The thing is, unlimited speed and data simply means they do not artificially limit you when bandwidth is available.  It cannot make bandwidth appear out of thin air if there are too many customers using it at the same time.

All broadband is a best-effort network, as in it can suffer congestion somewhere between you and where you are trying to talk to.  Mobile broadband just happens to have the most potential for this happening at the local tower, or from the tower to the ISP core network.

DSL you have your own pipe of bandwidth to the cabinet or exchange (but you're sharing a bigger pipe at the other end), cable and usually fibre too will be shared amongst a certain number of other customers, its just the bandwidth available is potentially so much higher on fibre you're not likely to slow down as much.  Mobile broadband you're sharing the airwaves with everyone trying to talk to that tower and that can be hundreds of other people.  The same way if you have several devices all downloading over WiFi at the same time, the speed will be split between them.

Potentially 5G can be a bit more clever about it by having more antennas that can use a narrower beam so you aren't sharing with as many people across the radio waves, but ultimately its still a similar problem.

Another way of thinking of it is if you turn on every cold tap in the house at the same time, the pressure at each tap is reduced as turn more on as the same amount of water is being spread across multiple outlets. Would you call the water company a rip off for not being able to maintain the same pressure?

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 hour ago, JeanMikhael10 said:

think they are scmmng me and scmmng others as well with this subscription!

Hate to burst your bubble. But they do the same thing in the US. You need to read the fine print, a lot of time that will tell you a lot. Some providers even provide a amount of data usage that will trigger being throttled. If you look in to the TOS of about every provider, at least in the US they have a provision when it comes to network management. In other words their job is to ensure every customer has equal access and a few heavy users cant take down the network. Also like others have said, congestion especially on 4G/5G networks can cause slow downs. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

40 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Yes Correct!

14 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Hate to burst your bubble. But they do the same thing in the US. You need to read the fine print, a lot of time that will tell you a lot. Some providers even provide a amount of data usage that will trigger being throttled. If you look in to the TOS of about every provider, at least in the US they have a provision when it comes to network management. In other words their job is to ensure every customer has equal access and a few heavy users cant take down the network. Also like others have said, congestion especially on 4G/5G networks can cause slow downs. 

Actually they didn't mentioned the speed but unlimited data only, I asked them what is the speed? They told me depend on the area and amount of people  u live in!

3 minutes ago, JeanMikhael10 said:

Yh Correct!

The US notwithstanding of course, as they don't seem to have consumer protection against STILL throttling you or having data limits on "unlimited" packages.

1 minute ago, JeanMikhael10 said:

Actually they didn't mentioned the speed but unlimited data only, I asked them what is the speed? They told me depend on the area and amount of people  u live in!

Well there you go then, they were completely honest.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

49 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Its slow because its in air like tv satellite dishes do and its only faster if its dsl cable connection like water example u welcomed in the trend!

1 minute ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

The US notwithstanding of course, as they don't seem to have consumer protection against STILL throttling you or having data limits on "unlimited" packages.

And limit in data because My Mom is paying 200 aed per month 10 gb or 400 aed 30 gb per month 

7 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Yh, there is no such thing called "unlimited data!", all have certain plans in it, the more data u pay the more faster the internet gets and more data gets loaded to ur account if im not mistaken about speed!

12 minutes ago, JeanMikhael10 said:

Yh, there is no such thing called "unlimited data!", all have certain plans in it, the more data u pay the more faster the internet gets and more data gets loaded to ur account if im not mistaken about speed!

Depends on the ISP and country.  In the UK almost all ISPs are unlimited data and they aren't allowed to advertise as being so if they have invisible caps.

The only caveat is if you absolutely max out your connection 24/7 they reserve the right to give you a good telling off if it causes other customers to slow down, not sure the penalty if you continue to do so.  I've not heard of that actually happening though, especially these days with some people having cloud CCTV which will potentially constantly be sending traffic 24/7.

21 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Depends on the ISP and country.  In the UK almost all ISPs are unlimited data and they aren't allowed to advertise as being so if they have invisible caps.

The only caveat is if you absolutely max out your connection 24/7 they reserve the right to give you a good telling off if it causes other customers to slow down, not sure the penalty if you continue to do so.  I've not heard of that actually happening though, especially these days with some people having cloud CCTV which will potentially constantly be sending traffic 24/7.

That's amazing, wished I was born and living in UK my life would been stress free since my birth till now! 🙂 and wondering how much is the max net speed in UK, maybe 500 mbps for all users and consumers? 🙂 Yh, they do it uae so that they make alot money out of us we the customers!