Actually offended by watching LTT monitor reiview today

e22big

I mean, I get it, the video is sponsored and all that but can they at least address the elephant in the room? Why the heck would anyone be spending 2.5 grands on this monitor? You could get a freakin S95B 55 inch QD-OLED for cheaper OR just 1200 buck QN95B, which is even brighter and bigger, and do come with 4 HDMI 2.1 instead of none?

Never been a fan of this guy take on monitor but this got to be a new low. It's almost felt scammy the way he pitched it. If you want to compete with the existing creative solution like ProArt, fine, or if you want to be rediculous at least talk about how those 1000 zone dimming helps with bloom or something. 

Or you know what, just mention that it's for those who absolutely need a 32 and not an inch bigger, and that would have been fine at as well. I am ranting at this point, but he seems either lazy or tone-deaf, to come up with this. I've felt geniuely offended. 

18 minutes ago, e22big said:

I've felt geniuely offended.

that sounds like a you problem if you're getting offended over something that is essentially a first-impressions /unboxing video.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

10 minutes ago, Arika S said:

that sounds like a you problem if you're getting offended over something that is essentially a first-impressions /unboxing video.

You don't need to run in-dept analysis for first impression video but he just doesn't seem to be doing his homework and that's something I take issue with. 

Beside, it even seems deceptive. If they are pitching 3090ti like no other GPU existed, people would have been pissed too I bet (or compare it with RTX Titan only like Nvidia had wanted.) 

5 minutes ago, e22big said:

but he just doesn't seem to be doing his homework and that's something I take issue with

you don't do homework for a "first impressions" video, that's why it's a "first impressions" video, you're seeing the product for the first time and giving your impressions on it with very little to no prior knowledge. you want a review, which is not the point of SC.

5 minutes ago, e22big said:

Beside, it even seems deceptive. If they are pitching 3090ti like no other GPU existed, people would have been pissed too I bet (or compare it with RTX Titan only like Nvidia had wanted.) 

this is a first impressions video about a monitor, not about comparing GPUs.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 hour ago, e22big said:

I mean, I get it, the video is sponsored and all that but can they at least address the elephant in the room? Why the heck would anyone be spending 2.5 grands on this monitor? You could get a freakin S95B 55 inch QD-OLED for cheaper OR just 1200 buck QN95B, which is even brighter and bigger, and do come with 4 HDMI 2.1 instead of none?

Never been a fan of this guy take on monitor but this got to be a new low. It's almost felt scammy the way he pitched it. If you want to compete with the existing creative solution like ProArt, fine, or if you want to be rediculous at least talk about how those 1000 zone dimming helps with bloom or something. 

later edit :  I apologize, I assumed the video above was about the Sony CRT monitor video - this one:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kW5X4dU0gnY  - that Linus says he paid $3k for it hence my answer below may not be quite right, but I'm not changing it now because others below quoted me. 

Some people spend thousands on model train locomotives and railway cars, you could say they could be happy with 2$ matchbox cars. Each with their own hobbies. 

You're probably one of the few who got the "linus wants me to buy this CRT monitor" from the video ... I think the majority of viewers understood it's about nostalgia, and about how older hardware can be better in some cases (or how modern hardware compromises or trades some things for other benefits - ex thin displays, perfectly square pixels, no convergence and other geometry issues) 

You can't even buy the Titan card anymore, which they used only because it was the fastest that still had native VGA (and a proper high speed RAMDAC for it) so it's not like they were sponsored by AMD.

16 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Some people spend thousands on model train locomotives and railway cars, you could say they could be happy with 2$ matchbox cars. Each with their own hobbies. 

You're probably one of the few who got the "linus wants me to buy this CRT monitor" from the video ... I think the majority of viewers understood it's about nostalgia, and about how older hardware can be better in some cases (or how modern hardware compromises or trades some things for other benefits - ex thin displays, perfectly square pixels, no convergence and other geometry issues) 

You can't even buy the Titan card anymore, which they used only because it was the fastest that still had native VGA (and a proper high speed RAMDAC for it) so it's not like they were sponsored by AMD.

That wasn't a CRT video

Honestly I would be fine if it's a 2k CRT. At least it was uniqe in today market and has the nostalgic value. But a newly released monitor is a commodity just like GPU. It has a very objective and measurable metrix you use to justify its price tag. If you want to present it as a unicorn that's fine too - but he didn't. He presented it as an alternative to Alienware QD-OLED - which it isn't, not even close by either price or performance metric and far from being the only or the best option people can buy in that use case. 

That's the part I have issues with. The monitor itself is rediculous but it's not something that piss me off, it's the misrepresentation vibe that absolutely triggered me. 

24 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Not in some cases, in EVERY case. Even hardware modding to pull an RGB signal directly of the mainboard requires some kind of conversion to make it HDMI compatible and sure, it is absolutely possible to convert an analogue signal to a digital signal and get "pixel perfect" accuracy but the reason its called pixel perfect is explained in the video, CRTs don't have pixels and you will always lose something in the conversion.

The best comparison I can think of is converting a vector graphic over to a PNG, you can do it and the image you end up with looks identical from a distance but you lose all the incredibly fine detail around the edges.

Plus, again as pointed out in the video, CRTs have 0 pixel response time since there are no pixels to begin with and a CRT screen can be full off for perfect black, something LCDs really struggle with.

Edit for clarity - The expensive models could, cheaper models used a non perfect black phosphor layer which ended up looking greyish anyway.

Finally there's the fact old games were never designed to run on the massive screens we have today, back then 19"/21" was normal and you were either rich or using your parents living room TV if you were playing on 32".

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Well to be honest they haven't had a single review in the past few years which wasn't offensively bad in some ways, but omitting to do any homework seems to be a common trope. Others include screwing up benchmarks in some way almost every time etc.

You shouldn't watch Linus media group for objective reviews, because all they produce is merch and commercials, and commercials about their merch.

And I'm talking about their actual reviews, instead of their dozens of low effort whatever sidechannels.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

46 minutes ago, Arika S said:

you don't do homework for a "first impressions" video, that's why it's a "first impressions" video, you're seeing the product for the first time and giving your impressions on it with very little to no prior knowledge. you want a review, which is not the point of SC.

this is a first impressions video about a monitor, not about comparing GPUs.

But they do make a comparison, and it was made in basically a bubble as if no other HDR monitor with good colour coverage existed. 

Sure, you don't have to do homework about this monitor in particular but you should do homework about the overall monitor market situation. Short of that, don't do any comparison at all and just focus on the spec, I can live with either of that. 

But if you do want to make a comparison, and omit 99 percent of the options in the market so that this particular model looks good is lazy at best, deceptive at worst. And it honeslty sound closer to the latter. 

If you're ok with that fine, I rest my case. 

I also don't like these surface-level monitor showcases, but you have to understand that that's what short circuit is about. The whole point of their video format is NOT doing homework. They literally just walk in, grab the product and a camera man and start shooting. The point is producing low-effort content about stuff people are interested it. Because of this people are often overly positive in these videos: They're enthusiastic.

Don't take this personally, but it seems you were just expecting too much from a ShortCircuit video. If you don't like that kind of content, then don't watch it. You're not obligated to watch every video LTT and all their channels put out there.

I haven't watched the video yet. Mainly because i know i'd probably be interested in learning about the monitor, but not in Pleuffe's take on it. He might be enthusiastic about monitors and he has the right to be, but it's obvious he's doesn't have deep knowledge and maybe doesn't have many points of reference. On the other hand he's a pretty good indicator of how a "normal person" might look at a monitor. Then again, a "normal person" doesn't spend that much on a monitor.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

12 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

I also don't like these surface-level monitor showcases, but you have to understand that that's what short circuit is about. The whole point of their video format is NOT doing homework. They literally just walk in, grab the product and a camera man and start shooting. The point is producing low-effort content about stuff people are interested it. Because of this people are often overly positive in these videos: They're enthusiastic.

Don't take this personally, but it seems you were just expecting too much from a ShortCircuit video. If you don't like that kind of content, then don't watch it. You're not obligated to watch every video LTT and all their channels put out there.

I haven't watched the video yet. Mainly because i know i'd probably be interested in learning about the monitor, but not in Pleuffe's take on it. He might be enthusiastic about monitors and he has the right to be, but it's obvious he's doesn't have deep knowledge and maybe doesn't have many points of reference. On the other hand he's a pretty good indicator of how a "normal person" might look at a monitor. Then again, a "normal person" doesn't spend that much on a monitor.

I'll say he may be a pretty good reference for how a normal people would react to a mornitor they didn't pay for. 

Honestly, I think he probably realised how bad of an option it is at that price. He just doesn't know how to pitch it properly and just go with whatever line Viewsonic gave him. This monitor is pretty much the 3090ti equivalent of a display (that or Seasonic take at RoG PG32UQX.) If anyone bought it, it would be very, very niche. If he archknowledged that presented it as an alternative to the rediculous high end model like those then it's probably fine - present it as an alternative to the scalped Alienware QD-OLED is just a bad taste. 

LTT is all about showing off gear most people can't afford or will buy and playing with it. Whats wrong with That?

I used to work in color mgmt back before LCDs took over, and the CRT embellishment is kinda funny. I worked on 15" tubes that cost $10k, and they weren't that good.

Early gen LCD lacked the gamut range of CRT because the RGB filters used in them were optimized for brightness and not color accuracy. The cold cathode that backed early LCD was also an issue. You are trying filter phosphors through an LCD matrix vs display phosphors on a CRT directly. Advantage CRT. No longer an issue. 

Amazed at all the uncalibrated displays I see cranked up in brightly lit rooms. Turn the stupid lights down, calibrate accordingly and enjoy your rich blacks 

3 hours ago, e22big said:

I'll say he may be a pretty good reference for how a normal people would react to a mornitor they didn't pay for. 

Honestly, I think he probably realised how bad of an option it is at that price. He just doesn't know how to pitch it properly and just go with whatever line Viewsonic gave him. This monitor is pretty much the 3090ti equivalent of a display (that or Seasonic take at RoG PG32UQX.) If anyone bought it, it would be very, very niche. If he archknowledged that presented it as an alternative to the rediculous high end model like those then it's probably fine - present it as an alternative to the scalped Alienware QD-OLED is just a bad taste. 

I did eventually watch the video to see what the fuzz is about. And like expected he doesn't really go into any significant details.

The HDR "test" was exactly what i expected: 5 minutes of playing Cyberpunk under studio lighting, which will do a great job of covering up any blooming that a normal envirnoment would bring up.

The price talk was my biggest problem. He permanently compared it to the $5000 ProArt monitor the editors use and completely ignored (or didn't know about) the fact that there is a very similar gaming monitor from Asus that is also priced quite similar. And i bet the PG32UQX has a lot more options in terms of color management, like Asus typically has in their monitors.

In the end they both likely use the same panel and most of the same underlying harware so i expect them to perform similar in most aspects, which means it's a pretty slow IPS panel with an obnoxious fan, bad white uniformity (blurry lines between the FALD zones), slow response times, bad connectivity and an unreasonable price tag. The only way this offers any value whatsoever is if you don't care about money, which basically means you don't care about value.

Everyone who makes money with HDR content should go all the way to the professional choice and utilize the additional features like Dolby Vision and hardware calibration, while everyone that's just gaming and looking for an HDR display should simply go for the AW3423DW. That's my 2 cents.

It was a typical ShortCircuit video. I didn't expect anything else. And again, this channel is not meant as a source for in-depth reviews or for buying advice. It's a way for LTT to goof around with new products and (probably) a cheaper sponsor spot for brands compared to the main channel videos.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

I agree that price is a joke for any LCD anywhere near that. Yes QD OLED definitely is the way to go for future monitors and even at more reasonable price too. But, others you mentioned are TVs and also are freaking giant.

But for a monitor review in general always great to see more in detail. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 hour ago, Doobeedoo said:

I agree that price is a joke for any LCD anywhere near that. Yes QD OLED definitely is the way to go for future monitors and even at more reasonable price too. But, others you mentioned are TVs and also are freaking giant.

But for a monitor review in general always great to see more in detail. 

Fair enough but at 40-43 inch, those weren't actually that bigger than a 32 inch - not even that much large than UW, they are just also tall. 48-50 inch though, are definitely too big

12 hours ago, e22big said:

Or you know what, just mention that it's for those who absolutely need a 32 and not an inch bigger, and that would have been fine at as well. I am ranting at this point, but he seems either lazy or tone-deaf, to come up with this. I've felt geniuely offended. 

the 55inch is a tv, bigger pixels. i'd be interested if not for the hdmi 2.0, have to see response time review from HUB. .i know a few people would buy this if the response time issues from the uqx is fixed. if it was 27inch i'd even look past the flaws, but 27inch 4k hdr was one and done it seems.

i'll say he didn't provide enough or any technical details

i'm willing to bet qd-oled doesn't look as good as miniled side by side (i'm not bothered by the slight bloom), but at half the price, it's at least interesting.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

4 hours ago, e22big said:

Fair enough but at 40-43 inch, those weren't actually that bigger than a 32 inch - not even that much large than UW, they are just also tall. 48-50 inch though, are definitely too big

Thought so to but not actually having a 48 in it seems just about right.

BTW I wouldn't use a TV outside of OLED.  A lot of the high dimming zone TVs lose a lot of its effectiveness once you cut back on all of the processing. 

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

17 hours ago, ewitte said:

Thought so to but not actually having a 48 in it seems just about right.

BTW I wouldn't use a TV outside of OLED.  A lot of the high dimming zone TVs lose a lot of its effectiveness once you cut back on all of the processing. 

I think 48-50 inch are "usable" but they aren't the most optimal setting for PC usage. PPI is bit low for a monitor distance, and it's big enough that looking at information around the edge become inconveniet (especially at close to 100 percent scaling.) 43 inch on the other hand, will actually fit on a relatively large monitor table. I've personally used  a 50, 48, 43, and 32 inch setting. 43 works a lot more like 32 inch than most people realised. 

And yeah, you lose a bit of the local dimming performance in game mode but it will still be delivering the best in class overall HDR experience, even better than overall older generation WRGB OLED. I've personally tested both the Q90A 50 inch and CX48 OLED, the former's actually a lot better in HDR content. It has issues but nothing I couldn't leave with if the alternative is the three grand IPS (which I doubt can even reach the contrast needed for a great HDR scenes) 

On 5/7/2022 at 3:09 PM, e22big said:

It has issues but nothing I couldn't leave with if the alternative is the three grand IPS (which I doubt can even reach the contrast needed for a great HDR scenes) 

These MiniLED IPS monitors do have more than enough contrast for HDR. In fact they're better than FALD VA monitors like my Asus PG 35VQ. The problem is that the low native contrast (so without factoring in FALD) makes it that blooming is much more apparent compared to VA monitors. That is the main drawback of these MiniLED IPS monitors with 1400+ nits; Blooming is horrible. 

Simple solution.

Don't watch LTT for displays.

Watch HDTVTest and read/watch RTings.

Until LTT Labs is able to provide test results on par/competing against RTings level, there's no point.

"Wow, dis monitor look good" means absolutely nothing. Linus loved the Samsung QD-OLED TV. Vincent from HDTVTest pointed out a HUGE flaw it has and I don't think Linus is going to make a follow-up and address these issues or even a note/comment on the video he made on the display. Humans are impressionable, louder things sound better, things with more pop look better, that's why demo/display headphones are cranked and and TV's have "demo" modes for when they're being sold at the store. 

I had a somewhat similar criticism of LTT's coverage of the 8k polling rate Razer mouse. The host didn't like Razer products and admitted to it in the video. He clearly hasn't used their products in years and immediately says he'd get a Logi instead. 😑 His basis was on old products' longevity and he seemed bias out of the gate. (Still love David, always happy to see him in a video, just not his best moment imo)

There's a handful of other examples, mostly on ShortCircuit, whether it be displays or headphones, none of their impressions or "tests" matter since they're not standardized like RTings does.

3 hours ago, Colty said:

Simple solution.

Don't watch LTT for displays.

Watch HDTVTest and read/watch RTings.

Until LTT Labs is able to provide test results on par/competing against RTings level, there's no point.

"Wow, dis monitor look good" means absolutely nothing. Linus loved the Samsung QD-OLED TV. Vincent from HDTVTest pointed out a HUGE flaw it has and I don't think Linus is going to make a follow-up and address these issues or even a note/comment on the video he made on the display. Humans are impressionable, louder things sound better, things with more pop look better, that's why demo/display headphones are cranked and and TV's have "demo" modes for when they're being sold at the store. 

I had a somewhat similar criticism of LTT's coverage of the 8k polling rate Razer mouse. The host didn't like Razer products and admitted to it in the video. He clearly hasn't used their products in years and immediately says he'd get a Logi instead. 😑 His basis was on old products' longevity and he seemed bias out of the gate. (Still love David, always happy to see him in a video, just not his best moment imo)

There's a handful of other examples, mostly on ShortCircuit, whether it be displays or headphones, none of their impressions or "tests" matter since they're not standardized like RTings does.

I think Linus himself is fine - and to his credit, he did said he love the Alienware QD-OLED, and said nothing about the S95B (and colour accuracy mean nothing for people who want to use it as a content consumption medium anyway.) 

I do give them some leeway, but the conclusion in this Shortcircuit video is just borderline misinformation, as people who used to work in media, I took issue with that. 

18 minutes ago, e22big said:

I think Linus himself is fine - and to his credit, he did said he love the Alienware QD-OLED, and said nothing about the S95B (and colour accuracy mean nothing for people who want to use it as a content consumption medium anyway.) 

I do give them some leeway, but the conclusion in this Shortcircuit video is just borderline misinformation, as people who used to work in media, I took issue with that. 

Here is the vid about the S95B Linus made.

And while it may not mean a lot to some people, for me and people who care enough to pay $2k on a TV, you'll probably put it into filmmaker mode and want it to be "correct." Samsung doesn't let you do that since their filmmaker mode doesn't respect the artists' intent. 

As for everyone else, I'm assuming they'll buy whatever has a 4k and "Smart TV" badge on the box with the biggest display they can justify, with no real concern over OLED/QD-OLED or anything else. 

8 hours ago, Colty said:

Here is the vid about the S95B Linus made.

And while it may not mean a lot to some people, for me and people who care enough to pay $2k on a TV, you'll probably put it into filmmaker mode and want it to be "correct." Samsung doesn't let you do that since their filmmaker mode doesn't respect the artists' intent. 

As for everyone else, I'm assuming they'll buy whatever has a 4k and "Smart TV" badge on the box with the biggest display they can justify, with no real concern over OLED/QD-OLED or anything else. 

At no point did he mention that he personally like it, in fact he spesifically mention that whether you should buy it or not "depends on your use case" and that it look "impressive" in side by side comparison, but it only does so in Samsung's own preset that they flew him and his team to see. That's the kind of disclaimer that Shortcuit badly lack, I can't believe it went through the editorial. 

Beside, everything else he said about this TV is still fine. It's stil a much better TV, in everyway compared to LG OLED, brighter, better colour volume, wilder colour gamut and potentially much longer longevity. It just basically doesn't have a filmmaker mode (and you would be surprised at the amount of people who bought the TV and don't care one bit about it, despite spending grands.) 

Yeah, like other people have said, when I watch short circuit, it's in anticipation of a full review. First impressions get you excited for the full vid, they aren't meant to be the full vid. Like the MacBook M1 Pro/Max ShortCircuit, I wanted to see the reviews, and that helped get me excited for it.

On 5/9/2022 at 8:37 PM, e22big said:

and colour accuracy mean nothing for people who want to use it as a content consumption medium anyway

Like Vincent from HDTV test said (not a direct quote): Standards exist for a reason. Creators spend years to grade their content and bring out their specific creative intend in the scene. The WHOLE point of "filmmaker mode" is that all the added processing and variables get eliminated to represent the content like the creator intended and the added work doesn't go to waste. If your filmmaker mode doesn't do that you shouldn't call it "Filmmaker Mode". Samsung's implementation has negative effects on movies, for example using overbrightened and oversaturated colors to completely shift the focus of a scene, or undo the long work of colorists.