What to buy

minimoose

I am planning on getting a 1440P monitor, and I have one GTX 760, and I don't think that my 760 will run games at 1440P for very long before I have to upgrade, so here are my options:

1. Get a second 760, the issue with this is that my mobo doesn't support SLI, so I would have to get a new motherboard which involves getting another copy of WIndows since I have OEM.  So I am not sure this is the most cost effective option.

2.  Sell my 760 and get a different video card, I am looking at the 280x, the 290 or the 780.  My current thinking is the 280x isn't quite good enough for 1440P to last a while, and the 780 is a little more than I want to spend,  also my motherboard does support Cross Fire X so I could get two AMD cards in the future if needed.

It seems to me that my best option to run at 1440P is the R9 290, what are your thoughts? 

GTX 780 is your best option. Even that can't run most games at high to ultra settings 

sell it

the 280x is a great choice because the price is great and large Vram

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

The 760 only has 2GB of RAM so even SLI wouldn't help you in high textures 1440p needs. A 290 or 780 would be the best bet.

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

I am planning on getting a 1440P monitor, and I have one GTX 760, and I don't think that my 760 will run games at 1440P for very long before I have to upgrade, so here are my options:

1. Get a second 760, the issue with this is that my mobo doesn't support SLI, so I would have to get a new motherboard which involves getting another copy of WIndows since I have OEM.  So I am not sure this is the most cost effective option.

2.  Sell my 760 and get a different video card, I am looking at the 280x, the 290 or the 780.  My current thinking is the 280x isn't quite good enough for 1440P to last a while, and the 780 is a little more than I want to spend,  also my motherboard does support Cross Fire X so I could get two AMD cards in the future if needed.

It seems to me that my best option to run at 1440P is the R9 290, what are your thoughts? 

According to your situation, going for a 290 will be ideal(depending on price in your region). 280 Crossfire will not benefit you at all when you add in the extra cooling requirements and increased power draw. Do you have a big enough power supply for Crossfire?

A 780 is always a better choice and if Ti is too expensive, 780 is good enough in itself to run most AAA titles at 1440p.

Hope it helps! :)

GTX 780 is your best option. Even that can't run most games at high to ultra settings 

I understand that the 780 is the most powerful, but is the $75 really worth the extra performance,  also the benchmarks I saw said around 60 FPS for the 290 and the 780, and if I turn down AA since I am at 1440P...  I think I will get by.

I understand that the 780 is the most powerful, but is the $75 really worth the extra performance,  also the benchmarks I saw said around 60 FPS for the 290 and the 780, and if I turn down AA since I am at 1440P...  I think I will get by.

I'd say get the 780, even though it is the most expensive. You'll have the best experience 

According to your situation, going for a 290 will be ideal(depending on price in your region). 280 Crossfire will not benefit you at all when you add in the extra cooling requirements and increased power draw. Do you have a big enough power supply for Crossfire?

A 780 is always a better choice and if Ti is too expensive, 780 is good enough in itself to run most AAA titles at 1440p.

Hope it helps! :)

I wasn't suggesting 280X Cross fire, I was just saying that if I get an AMD card I could get a second one in a few years.  I understand which cards are the most powerful, the 780 Ti is too expensive, and where I live the 290 is about $75 cheaper than a 780, and from what I have seen, I don't think that 5ish FPS is worth it.  Am I wrong?

I'd say get the 780, even though it is the most expensive. You'll have the best experience 

That is if I have the money... :)

I wasn't suggesting 280X Cross fire, I was just saying that if I get an AMD card I could get a second one in a few years.  I understand which cards are the most powerful, the 780 Ti is too expensive, and where I live the 290 is about $75 cheaper than a 780, and from what I have seen, I don't think that 5ish FPS is worth it.  Am I wrong?

No it is not worth $75 over a 290. You should get the AMD card. A 290 in Crossfire will easily extended your rig's life by another 2 years down the line. Good Luck! :)

I'd check out benchmarks on a few things.

760 SLI compared to a 290.

770 SLI compared to a 290 (if you can afford it, as they're usually pretty reasonable, and factor in selling your 760).

Check and see what the minimum frame rates are between the 290 and the 780. They're what you're going to notice most. If one drops significantly lower than the other, it's an easy choice.

I'd do it myself to help you out but I have to head to work shortly.

One thing worth mentioning is that usually Microsoft will let you transfer you Windows key to a new motherboard if you ask nicely. You can just say yours died. They're not complete dicks about it, these things happen.

As stated, you'd want to make sure your power supply can handle the extra grunt if you do decide to go SLI.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

780. but can't you re-use oem software copy's from microsoft?

I don't think so...

Get a 780.

780. but can't you re-use oem software copy's from microsoft?

I understand the 780 is the most powerful,  but is it worth it, in my area it is $75 more than the 290.

No, the 290 will likely perform better.

You just told me to get the 780...  What am I missing, is the 290 more expensive most places?

in one of the WAN shows linus was talking about the most revolutionary GPU's

and he said the r9 290 (not the X), was one of the most revolutionary GPU's. The price point the card was released at, and the performance it offered; forced nVidia to make some changes and even drop some prices. I can't remember which WAN show it was exactly, but Linus/Slick both made some compelling cases for the card. With that said, they also said NOT to get the card with a stock cooler and advised if we get the card, that we get an aftermarket card with increased cooling performance because each degree on the 290 mattered.  (Factoring this in with your choice of 290, does the price now equal out?)

Personally, I'm an nVidia guy and I always will be. I think the 780 is the better option, and the $75 to not have an ATI card is worth it to me =P On the more serious side, I like the nvidia drivers, and the GeForce experience. They both work seamlessly and I haven't had any issues yet. I also like EVGA and have had no issues at all dealing with their support department. Everything was nice and easy and I didn't have to jump through hoops to get some service. To me all of this is worth $75.

The 780 also doesn't need as much power, and should be a bit quieter. Your mileage may vary though.

No, the 290 will likely perform better.

No it is not worth $75 over a 290. You should get the AMD card. A 290 in Crossfire will easily extended your rig's life by another 2 years down the line. Good Luck! :)

What is the best 290 cooler?  So far the MSI one looks pretty good.

in one of the WAN shows linus was talking about the most revolutionary GPU's

and he said the r9 290 (not the X), was one of the most revolutionary GPU's. The price point the card was released at, and the performance it offered; forced nVidia to make some changes and even drop some prices. I can't remember which WAN show it was exactly, but Linus/Slick both made some compelling cases for the card. With that said, they also said NOT to get the card with a stock cooler and advised if we get the card, that we get an aftermarket card with increased cooling performance because each degree on the 290 mattered.  (Factoring this in with your choice of 290, does the price now equal out?)

Personally, I'm an nVidia guy and I always will be. I think the 780 is the better option, and the $75 to not have an ATI card is worth it to me =P On the more serious side, I like the nvidia drivers, and the GeForce experience. They both work seamlessly and I haven't had any issues yet. I also like EVGA and have had no issues at all dealing with their support department. Everything was nice and easy and I didn't have to jump through hoops to get some service. To me all of this is worth $75.

The 780 also doesn't need as much power, and should be a bit quieter. Your mileage may vary though.

I was counting on a non reference cooler when I said it was cheaper, I can't even find the reference one for sell.  I tend to like nvidia more too, however in this case I see three reasons the 290 is better.  

1.  Cheaper

2.  I get three free games

3.  I can get a second one need be with my current mobo and with a 780 I would need a new one.

I guess it will come down to whether I can buy a 1440P monitor and 780 without becoming homeless :)  If not it is a non issue, otherwise I will have to weigh the pros and cons.

What is the best 290 cooler?  So far the MSI one looks pretty good.

here's Tom's Hardware review of the best 290 in the market. Personally I would either get the Asus Direct CU II or the Sapphire Tri X OC but MSI Gaming is also a great choice. I just do not have any experience with MSI cards.

I don't think so...

you  can use software to get the license and then reuse it.

I understand the 780 is the most powerful,  but is it worth it, in my area it is $75 more than the 290.

hm. good question. performance wise no, but i would still do it.

I was counting on a non reference cooler when I said it was cheaper, I can't even find the reference one for sell.  I tend to like nvidia more too, however in this case I see three reasons the 290 is better.  

1.  Cheaper

2.  I get three free games

3.  I can get a second one need be with my current mobo and with a 780 I would need a new one.

I guess it will come down to whether I can buy a 1440P monitor and 780 without becoming homeless :)  If not it is a non issue, otherwise I will have to weigh the pros and cons.

The fact that you won't need to get a new motherboard for adding an additional GPU seems like a very good reason to me. The 780 is good, and I like the card...but I'm not sure I value the card that much more over the 290, to justify the additional expense of a new motherboard; given the necessity of an additional card down the road. Hopefully that makes sense

The 290 is a great option, just do not get a reference card for it. 280x would not be good enough for very long you are correct, and yes 780's arent cheap. If you can 780, if you dont want to spend that much, 290.

| Gaming/Folding Rig: | 4770k @ 4.4GHZ w/ Thermaltake Extreme 3.0 | Asus Maximus VI Hero | 2x DirectCUII GTX 780 Ti @ 1208mhz | Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB | Seasonic Platinum 1000w | Samsung 840 256gb | 1TB WD Blue | Corsair C70 | 3x ASUS MX239H Monitors |

you  can use software to get the license and then reuse it.

hm. good question. performance wise no, but i would still do it.

What kind of software?  Why would you do it?