Due to TSMC it looks like Nvidia messed up big time, expect delays on the 860,860ti,870,880 and titan brown

brownninja97

Buy a used 7950 on eBay or refurb/ open box. Or just keep the still very competent 560Ti until these companies release something worth buying. This blaming TSMC thing I suspect is only partly true, if Nv/AMD really wanted to, they'd find a way to move forward. What really is at play here is that retailers and warehouses are filled to the brim with 7xx series cards that aren't bought because it's not worth buying when your granny's GTX 470 can still play literally everything in the world - and AMD has just overproduced tons of cards to meet the demand left behind after the mining craze; but now every miner is selling their R9s used.

Don't play into their hands. If you have to buy, buy second hand.

Unlike Intel who actually have control of their fabs and can put the resources into overcoming fabrication problems, nVidia/AMD are at the mercy of TSMC. They can do literally nothing without pumping billions into building their own fabs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

I loled at the people saying wait for maxwell and actually did

...that was me...

bought a 780, changed my mind to 660ti, happily waited until this...

*cries forever*

Selling my parts of my 900D rig for a jacked up Ncase M1. PM me for offers if interested (will take some reasonable-low offers because I'm desperate).

Parts that I'm selling: 900D (1 slot cover broken for stealth DVD drive mod) | Asus Z87 Deluxe | Cooler Master 212 Evo | Corsair 4x2GB black ram @1600mhz | EVGA 1000G2 PSU (2 cables with missing heat shrink) | DVD drive | HP membrane keyboard | Ducky Shine 3 YOTS in blue switches (warranty sticker broken)

They would "find a way"? How exactly? By magic? If it's a yield issue then no one else is going to to any better, TSMC is THE largest chip fab in the world. If it's some other issue related to heat, performance, or general reliability then they can't just snap their fingers and make things happen.

The story they're going to stick with is not necessarily the story that is true.

"Yield issues". So vague, yet so force majeure sounding. Realize that these companies operate on contracts a long long time in advance. And there is a cost involved, and many potential clients (for TSMC) - then you see the veritable mountain of unsold current generation cards both manufacturers are sitting on. Nvidia because of their arrogant pricing, AMD because of the mining fad. Not to mention the lacklustre performance they are projected to have in some very looming game titles. Even a balls-overclocked 780Ti will feel like a 560Ti in The Witcher 2 for Star Citizen or The Witcher 3.

They are going to want to buy out their contractual obligation to sell their old cards. Yet, they can't tell you that. Do you have any idea the kind of shitstorm that would ensue if they went "OK guys, we haven't sold out our old cards, so we're going to not produce our next ones yet."

So, while I have no proof of this, having worked at a related-technology fab I would not be surprised one bit if they simply let the next client slip past them in the queue to sell more of their very-soon-obsolete units.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I remember reading something like this on the forum..
[bitcoin mining raises prices]
"gamers, welcome to the green team"

so allow me...
[nvidia releases mining drivers and maxwell is a dud]
"EVERYONE, welcome to the mean team"

Falcon: Corsair 750D 8320at4.6ghz 1.3v | 4GB MSI Gaming R9-290 @1000/1250 | 2x8GB 2400mhz Kingston HyperX Beast | Asus ROG Crosshair V Formula | Antec H620 | Corsair RM750w | Crucial M500 240GB, Toshiba 2TB, DarkThemeMasterRace, my G3258 has an upgrade path, my fx8320 doesn't need one...total cost £840=cpu£105, board£65, ram£105, Cooler £20, GPU£200, PSU£88, SSD£75, HDD£57, case£125.

CASE:-NZXT S340 Black, CPU:-FX8120 @4.2Ghz, COOLER:-CM Hyper 212 EVO, BOARD:-MSI 970 Gaming, RAM:-2x4gb 2400mhz Corsair Vengeance Pro, GPU: SLI EVGA GTX480's @700/1000, PSU:-Corsair CX600m, HDD:-WD green 160GB+2TB toshiba
CASE:-(probably) Cooltek U1, CPU:-G3258 @4.5ghx, COOLER:-stock(soon "MSI Dragon" AiO likely), BOARD:-MSI z87i ITX Gaming, RAM:-1x4gb 1333mhz Patriot, GPU: Asus DCU2 r9-270 OC@1000/1500mem, PSU:-Sweex 350w.., HDD:-WD Caviar Blue 640GB
CASE:-TBD, CPU:-Core2Quad QX9650 @4Ghz, COOLER:-OCZ 92mm tower thing, BOARD:-MSI p43-c51, RAM:-4x1GB 800mhz Corsair XMS2, GPU: Zotac GTX460se @800/1000, PSU:-OCZ600sxs, HDD:-WD green 160GBBlueJean-A
 CASE:-Black/Blue Sharkoon T9, CPU:-Phenom2 x4 B55 @3.6Ghz/1.4v, COOLER:-FX8320 Stock HSF, BOARD:-M5A78L-M/USB3, RAM:-4GB 1333mhz Kingston low profile at 1600mhz, GPU:-EVGA GTX285, PSU:-Antec TP550w modu, STORAGE:-240gb  M500+2TB Toshiba
CASE:-icute zl02-3g-bb, CPU:-Phenom2 X6 1055t @3.5Ghz, COOLER:-Stock, BOARD:-Asrock m3a UCC, RAM:2x2GB 1333mhz Zeppelin (thats yellow!), GPU: XFX 1GB HD6870xxx, PSU:-some 450 POS, HDD:-WD Scorpio blue 120GB
CASE:-Packard Bell iMedia X2424, Custom black/red Aerocool Xpredator fulltower, CPU's:-E5200, C2D [email protected]<script cf-hash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>(so e8500), COOLER:-Scythe Big shuriken2 Rev B, BFG gtx260 sp216 OC, RAM:-tons..
Gigabyte GTX460, Gigabyte gt430,
GPU's:-GT210 1GB,  asus hd6670 1GB gddr5, XFX XXX 9600gt 512mb Alpha dog edition, few q6600's
PICTURES CASE:-CIT mars black+red, CPU:-Athlon K6 650mhz slot A, COOLER:-Stock, BOARD:-QDI Kinetiz 7a, RAM:-256+256+256MB 133mhz SDram, GPU:-inno3d geforce4 mx440 64mb, PSU:-E-Zcool 450w, STORAGE:-2x WD 40gb "black" drives,
CASE:-silver/red raidmax cobra, CPU:-Athlon64 4000+, COOLER:-BIG stock one, BOARD:-MSI something*, RAM:-(matched pair)2x1GB 400mhz ECC transcend, GPU:-ati 9800se@375core/325mem, PSU:-pfft, HDD:-2x maxtor 80gb,
PICTURES CASE:-silver/red raidmax cobra (another), CPU:-Pentium4 2.8ghz prescott, COOLER:-Artic Coolering Freezer4, BOARD:-DFI lanparty infinity 865 R2, RAM:-(matched pair)2x1GB 400mhz kingston, GPU:-ati 9550@375core/325mem, PSU:-pfft, HDD:-another 2x WD 80gb,
CASE:-ML110 G4, CPU:-xeon 4030, COOLER:-stock leaf blower, BOARD:-stock raid 771 board, RAM:-2x2GB 666mhz kingston ECC ddr2, GPU:-9400GT 1GB, PSU:-stock delta, RAID:-JMicron JMB363 card+onboard raid controller, HDD:-320gb hitachi OS, 2xMaxtor 160gb raid1, 500gb samsungSP, 160gb WD, LAPTOP:-Dell n5030, CPU:-replaced s*** cel900 with awesome C2D E8100, RAM:-2x2GB 1333mhz ddr3, HDD:-320gb, PHONE's:-LG optimus 3D (p920) on 2.3.5@300-600mhz de-clock (batteryFTW)

I loled at the people saying wait for maxwell and actually did

I'm still waiting, my 560ti will live to fight another year!

The story they're going to stick with is not necessarily the story that is true.

"Yield issues". So vague, yet so force majeure sounding. Realize that these companies operate on contracts a long long time in advance. And there is a cost involved, and many potential clients (for TSMC) - then you see the veritable mountain of unsold current generation cards both manufacturers are sitting on. Nvidia because of their arrogant pricing, AMD because of the mining fad. Not to mention the lacklustre performance they are projected to have in some very looming game titles. Even a balls-overclocked 780Ti will feel like a 560Ti in The Witcher 2 for Star Citizen or The Witcher 3.

They are going to want to buy out their contractual obligation to sell their old cards. Yet, they can't tell you that. Do you have any idea the kind of shitstorm that would ensue if they went "OK guys, we haven't sold out our old cards, so we're going to not produce our next ones yet."

So, while I have no proof of this, having worked at a related-technology fab I would not be surprised one bit if they simply let the next client slip past them in the queue to sell more of their very-soon-obsolete units.

You are ignoring one big thing though: For the last two or three die shrinks TSMC has had issues. The problems TSMC was having with 28nm were so bad that people were convinced that AMD was going to use Global Foundries for their GPUs. What you suggest is possible, but it's as likely as TSMC running into yet another issue on a die shrink. As semiconductors get smaller everything gets exponentially more complex.

This is the biggest problem for AMD CPUs. Even if they improve their architecture hugely they are handicapped by the process node. Trying to match Intel performance while remaining on an older process node is always going to result in huge, power hungry parts.

AMD doesnt use TSMC for their CPU's they use Global Foundries which are still on target for 20nm Q4 this year and have made a deal with samsung for 14nm FinFET

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

Sometimes I dont get it. If Nvidia had released these along with the 8XXm's then people would go around saying "no nvidia nobody wants to buy your stuff every year" and now when it takes too long to get something perhaps better theyre mad too.

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

This is good news. I'd love to go back and find each post where people were saying there's no point buying a high end GPU at the start of this year because Nvidia had their 20nm cards coming soon and laugh.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

This is good news. I'd love to go back and find each post where people were saying there's no point buying a high end GPU at the start of this year because Nvidia had their 20nm cards coming soon and laugh.

I wasn't one of those people, but considering how the last two generations had the higher end cards coming out in the first half of the year, it wasn't such a terrible idea to suggest waiting a few months for the new generation/price drop on the old generation, IMO

looks like amd will become the  best now

This also counts for AMD...

I just don't believe it.

Their is no evidence that would back this up.

20nm is already in production for months!

They even have 20nm listed on their homepage as finished developed process next to 40nm/28nm.

And this would also have a huge effect on other companies and the stock market.

RTX2070OC 

Called it. All of you people were saying 20nm Maxwell in the summer. I said that was a load of horseshit, and it was.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Fuck............................................ enough said.

(sneezes) "Sorry I'm allergic to bullshit"

TSMC has taken their time to get 20nm out the door, they are lucky they have little competition with GF who is still producing at 32nm. Should've been obvious, qualcomm's 810/808 with 20nm won't be out to for a while either

The article is wrong.

The process has to be done ~2 years before the final result of the design cycle (called the tape-out process: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tape-out). Meaning the 20nm process has been already worked on, and Nvidia knows if it will work or not. the time period could be reduced if you throw a lot of money at it... but usually 2 years. ~3 years if its very problematic, and the manufacture (TSMC in this case), is having a hard time.

So either:

-> The article is talking about another Nvidia chip later in time (ie: Volta)

-> or, Maxwell was always 28nm all a long, and it was the RUMORS to be 20nm process, was wrong all along (this would explain why the 750Ti is 28nm)

The article is wrong.

The process has to be done ~2 years before the final result of the design cycle (called the tape-out process: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tape-out). Meaning the 20nm process has been already worked on, and Nvidia knows if it will work or not. the time period could be reduced if you throw a lot of money at it... but usually 2 years. ~3 years if its very problematic, and the manufacture (TSMC in this case), is having a hard time.

So either:

-> or, Maxwell was always 28nm all a long, and it was the RUMORS to be 20nm process, was wrong all along (this would explain why the 750Ti is 28nm)

make a new thread on this please. i want to discuss it, not many people will see this on the 5th page

The article is wrong.

So either:

thats interesting, i wander if this period has been greatly reduced to something as low as one year due to how fast nvidia is updating these days.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Awe crap :( Maxwell is when i was finally going to switch out my tri- HD7950's

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Patience is a virtue guys ;)

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

thats interesting, i wander if this period has been greatly reduced to something as low as one year due to how fast nvidia is updating these days.

Intel probably already have rudimentary models of Cannonlake working at the moment. The period takes a long time, but every one works ahead of the curve anyway

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

:( Darn. I just hope the price of the 750 and 750Ti come down when they introduce the new cards.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

So, this is the source of the article:

http://translate.google.ca/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.3dcenter.org%2Fnews%2Fnvidias-maxwell-chips-gm204-gm206-legen-tape-out-fuer-die-28nm-fertigung-hin&edit-text=

So, all it is, is a site (3D center) basis it's "facts" on the news, from some users comment on their forum, which is HIS or HER ANALYSIS of the situation.

WOW. What a load of B.S