Links on the forum automatically converted to affiliate links to participating retailers

LinusTech

I don't really care about ads. I'm from Argentina and I really doubt there's gonna be anything available for me hahahha, but if it helps Linus Media Group, then I wouldn't mind seeing some ads here :D

It appears that with those services there is some user-configuration that might allow you to control just out intrusive it is, but I haven't been in the control panels for either of them at any point, so I can't comment on how it would work. Personally automatic hyperlinks with little pop ups always drove me crazy when I was reading, so I don't really want to do it, but want to see how others feel.

If you're using Skimwords, I'm out of this site.

That sounds a bit harsh, but I hate those little popups with adds. I don't mind skimlinks.

I ABHOR those websites where random words are turned into links and mousing over them, or anywhere near them frankly, opens up distracting sharing options/adverts/etc. So annoying.

If there was a way to just have any link on the website be turned into bit.ly links or something similar to generate revenue.

Edit: In other words, need an example first. The website doesn't really show what it would be like.

I just hope that it isn't another fiasco like vBulletin. Or EA!!!

Do it, frankly I want this community to be around for a long time and I want Linus Media Group to keep on producing content and to get even better. If this helps achieve these goals then GO AHEAD!

I think a tip jar would be a great idea along with some banner ads?.

Not sure on skimlinks but if its similar to the bubbles that appear from keywords then there really annoying.

If this helps you and the forum, then I would recommend you that you should go for it because I wouldn't want the forum to go down or your media group stop producing videos. :)

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

As long as it dose not become intrusive I wouldn't mind. I do come check out the new post and stuff like build logs. So do what you got to do to keep it running just remember why we all love this forum and please don't break it...LOL

If it helps generate money for the site, and isn't annoying on the user's end then I say go for it.

This.

skimlinks and skimwords both are fine but if skimwords will show a place(website) to buy products which only operates in specific region like North America then it would be pretty annoying for a guy from other part of the world...

Deal breaker, I'd really have trouble staying here depite the fantastic content, community, and my loyalty to Linus (as a content creator). Don't touch text, ever, it's just about the worst possible thing that could happen *verbal period*. Hyperlinks in text that were not intended by the author should not be there and they ruin entire sites. The LTT forum is so much about hardware that the vendors are always part of the question, don't try to remove a cornerstone of this forums existence. As alternatives you could (in order of my favorite to least favorite):

1. Sell some merchandise (Ts, hats, or whatever).
  2. Static sidebar ads that can be removed with a cheap monthy subscription.
  3. Add donations.
  4. Put regular adds on the forum

TL:DR Linus, I'm begging you with all my heart, don't do it.

Please quote me if you want me to see your post about my post, otherwise I may lose track of the thread and never see it.

I'd love to help, but I'm probably gonna' have to ask for more info before we can get anything done.

Have a wonderful day.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I'm locking this because I won't be monitoring it anymore, but rest assured we will be VERY careful about whatever we roll out to monetize the site.

We do have to do something however because the security implementation that is keeping the site up every day is costing us around $2500 per year alone...