LTT Screwdriver

Imbadatnames
Just now, Imbadatnames said:

But you could just get a screwdriver that’s the same but cheaper from other, more established, brands where you can just go into a store to RMA something. The LTT screwdriver without shipping and taxes is more expensive than a wera one with shipping and tax included 

Yes, it's expensive. You could also just get a cheaper backpack, a cheaper hoodie, a cheaper water bottle...

deadhorse.gif.90659b00de4fb4f416cce5c9c0236969.gif

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Just now, Needfuldoer said:

Yes, it's expensive. You could also just get a cheaper backpack, a cheaper hoodie, a cheaper water bottle...

All would be of better quality rather than supporting a company who openly tries to shaft it’s customers and goes back on its “values” at the sight of a few pennies 

10 minutes ago, Imbadatnames said:

All would be of better quality rather than supporting a company who openly tries to shaft it’s customers and goes back on its “values” at the sight of a few pennies 

Cool, than do that. No one said you need to get it. If you have an issue with the company than dont support it. If you dislike LTT that much than why are you even here.  Also I like how you have decided the others would be of better quality without putting your hands on an LTT one yet. Im not saying the LTT one will be the best, but im not gonna jump to conclusions yet either. I have several high end ratcheting screwdrivers I use for my work and Ill give theirs a shot as well and decide once the product is actually in my hands.

And show me a customer they "shafted" so far. Show me a customer that had a product issue they didn't take care of.  A bunch of entitled children (figuratively) online bitching about a written warranty aren't shafted customers.

2 hours ago, NastyFlytrap said:

kay, but at 70$, with half the bit capacity, it becomes a stupid option, only for fanboys, and the point is that they didnt have to use the short bits...

They used shorter 1/4” bits so they could fit more in the bit loader and so the magnetisation of the bit is stronger due to there being less material between the top and the magnet in the shaft.

If you strip a bit you can still go to your local hardware store and grab any old 1/4” hex bit and it’ll fit in the screwdriver.

8 hours ago, NastyFlytrap said:

Yea... I agree, especially since im in europe.... Imagine stripping a bit like a philips size 2, and having to wait 3-5 weeks AND be delayed for another week while customs handle my VAT and tariff papers. Yikes

Okay, but at 70$, with half the bit capacity, it becomes a stupid option, only for fanboys, and the point is that they didnt have to use the short bits...

Would you stop being such an ass-kisser dude? You're starting to seriously piss me off. Go be a corporate apologist somewhere else. Your mentality is essentially 'well, noone is forcing you, therefore its ok'

Apply that to anything else. You're the kind of person who'd excuse shit like diablo immoral cuz 'well, i you dont HAVE to pay for it...!'
ITS STILL FUCKING AWFUL, DUDE. Us buying LTT shit, or paying or diablo immoral is IRRELEVANT. Its in the fking name, its IMMORAL! Just because 'well, you can buy something else then' doesnt solve the problem of this being immoral and frankly, trashy. 

We're supposed to be solving the god fucking damned problems the world has, instead of excusing them under the notion that the free hand of the market will correct itself. It absolutely wont. The world is full of cretins who'll support whatever either because they are that dumb or they dont care. If you're capable of realizing that something is bad, you're actively hurting the entire world by not standing in front of it and resisting that bad thing.

You're the gum on the shoes of the people.

You can call me an asskisser if you want, I assure you your opinion of me means zero in my world. Conversely I would say you aren't trying to make anything better, you are simply trying to start/continue drama where there shouldn't be any. Lets look at the screwdriver bit issue that's currently being discussed here so we stay on track. 6 bits isn't "useless", its actually standard in a lot of ratcheting drivers, or for example the snap on one can hold more but its not in an organized holder, its inside the handle where you just unscrew the end and pour the bits out to find what you need. Between the option of it coming with 12, but can be reduced to 6, or having a handle where the end unscrews and having the bits loose, ill take the first option. Also if you break one bit and had to replace it with a standard the capacity only actually drops to 11 but lets not look at that because it weakens your troll stance 😉 Also as stated it increases the magnetic grip that the driver will have on a screw, as someone who makes their living using things like ratcheting screwdrivers I can tell you that that is worth A LOT in the professional world. Dropping a screw in a case for example that gets stuck under the board and means removing the hardware to get it out costs time and causes frustration, its not common that would happen but when it does you will lose your mind. Or in my world where I work on vehicle dashes, dropping a screw into a dash can easily turn into 30-60 minutes of extra disassembly and reassembly depending on where that screw went, once again that higher magnetic force is very valuable in those instances. So in short, its not a stupid option, it just is to you hence why I said then don't buy it. I'm not sure why that's hard for you to get through your head. The product upsets you and doesn't suit you so don't get it, that's not being an apologist for LTT, its telling you to select an obvious option in front of your face.

I find it odd that you seem to fancy yourself the morale compass of the corporate world, trying to hold LTT to some standard you've decided they need to recognize. What makes you an expert, or are you just some keyboard warrior online that decided you wanted to try to make yourself more important by trying to call out a company on an engineering choice they made that you are to uneducated about to understand. YOU are the kind of problem in the world we need to solve. To many people without a clue think their opinions need to be taken as fact by the rest of the world or else we are evil. Grow up and learn a thing or two before you decide to call everyone out on the carpet, your embarrassing 

4 hours ago, Ravendarat said:

You can call me an asskisser if you want, I assure you your opinion of me means zero in my world. Conversely I would say you aren't trying to make anything better, you are simply trying to start/continue drama where there shouldn't be any. Lets look at the screwdriver bit issue that's currently being discussed here so we stay on track. 6 bits isn't "useless", its actually standard in a lot of ratcheting drivers, or for example the snap on one can hold more but its not in an organized holder, its inside the handle where you just unscrew the end and pour the bits out to find what you need. Between the option of it coming with 12, but can be reduced to 6, or having a handle where the end unscrews and having the bits loose, ill take the first option. Also if you break one bit and had to replace it with a standard the capacity only actually drops to 11 but lets not look at that because it weakens your troll stance 😉 Also as stated it increases the magnetic grip that the driver will have on a screw, as someone who makes their living using things like ratcheting screwdrivers I can tell you that that is worth A LOT in the professional world. Dropping a screw in a case for example that gets stuck under the board and means removing the hardware to get it out costs time and causes frustration, its not common that would happen but when it does you will lose your mind. Or in my world where I work on vehicle dashes, dropping a screw into a dash can easily turn into 30-60 minutes of extra disassembly and reassembly depending on where that screw went, once again that higher magnetic force is very valuable in those instances. So in short, its not a stupid option, it just is to you hence why I said then don't buy it. I'm not sure why that's hard for you to get through your head. The product upsets you and doesn't suit you so don't get it, that's not being an apologist for LTT, its telling you to select an obvious option in front of your face.

I find it odd that you seem to fancy yourself the morale compass of the corporate world, trying to hold LTT to some standard you've decided they need to recognize. What makes you an expert, or are you just some keyboard warrior online that decided you wanted to try to make yourself more important by trying to call out a company on an engineering choice they made that you are to uneducated about to understand. YOU are the kind of problem in the world we need to solve. To many people without a clue think their opinions need to be taken as fact by the rest of the world or else we are evil. Grow up and learn a thing or two before you decide to call everyone out on the carpet, your embarrassing 

What BS. 

6 bits is pathetic, especially for the price. Also how does it increase the magnetic hold of the bit? Magnets only have good strength vertically so the only strong part is on the base. The sides don’t do much as magnet have really shit strength in the X and Y planes. 

14 minutes ago, Imbadatnames said:

What BS. 

6 bits is pathetic, especially for the price. Also how does it increase the magnetic hold of the bit? Magnets only have good strength vertically so the only strong part is on the base. The sides don’t do much as magnet have really shit strength in the X and Y planes. 

Are you referring to the ltt screwdriver? It comes with 12 bits.

There's a video for the screwdriver that shows off its features. You can view the bits at around the 2min mark. He also discusses the magnets, saying the shorter bits make the magnetic effect on the tip of the bit stronger as it's closer to the magnet in the shaft of the driver.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

20 minutes ago, Imbadatnames said:

6 bits is pathetic, especially for the price.

lol it's 12 bits. He meant that you can only put 6 if you're using the standard bits. you have no idea what you're talking about. You dont even know thing that you are criticizing. You have lost the argument already. 

2 minutes ago, crazzp said:

lol it's 12 bits. He meant that you can only put 6 if you're using the standard bits. you have no idea what you're talking about. You dont even know thing that you are criticizing. You have lost the argument already. 

Yeah that’s pathetic, you can get that for less than half the price from someone like wera. 

10 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Are you referring to the ltt screwdriver? It comes with 12 bits.

There's a video for the screwdriver that shows off its features. You can view the bits at around the 2min mark. He also discusses the magnets, saying the shorter bits make the magnetic effect on the tip of the bit stronger as it's closer to the magnet in the shaft of the driver.

We’re talking about standard bits. 

that’s not how magnets work. 

3 minutes ago, Imbadatnames said:

Yeah that’s pathetic, you can get that for less than half the price from someone like wera. 

A wera ratcheting driver without any bits cost $60 USD here in Australia

4 minutes ago, Imbadatnames said:

Magnetic force follows the inverse square law so the closer to the magnet an object is the stronger the force. By using shorter bits the magnetic force at the tip of the bit will be stronger compared to a longer bit.

3 minutes ago, Imbadatnames said:

you can get that for less than half the price from someone like wera

I can get a ratchet screwdriver with all the bits in the world from Aliexpress for $5. Your point being? That something from wera is better because it's half the price? 

2 minutes ago, Imbadatnames said:

You have not used the LTT screwdriver and yet you are saying the additional magnetism part is BS. How can you criticize something and saying it's bad if you have NEVER use or even seen it before? 

3 minutes ago, crazzp said:

I can get a ratchet screwdriver with all the bits in the world from Aliexpress for $5. Your point being? That something from wera is better because it's half the price? 

You have not used the LTT screwdriver and yet you are saying the additional magnetism part is BS. How can you criticize something and saying it's bad if you have NEVER use or even seen it before? 

Does better quality for half the price make something better? Are you really asking that? 

Because I know how magnets work from studying chemistry and electronics? 

9 minutes ago, DeltaBruggemann said:

A wera ratcheting driver without any bits cost $60 USD here in Australia

Ah Australia 

9 minutes ago, DeltaBruggemann said:

Magnetic force follows the inverse square law so the closer to the magnet an object is the stronger the force. By using shorter bits the magnetic force at the tip of the bit will be stronger compared to a longer bit.

in air sure 

34 minutes ago, Imbadatnames said:

The 20mm bits it comes with will fit 12 in the holder in the shaft. If you replace them all with longer bits you can only fit 6. You can buy other 20mm hex screwdriver bits.

The bits themselves aren't magnetic, there's a magnet in the shaft that holds the bits in place and holds screws on to the tip of the bit. Using shorter bits means the tip of the bit is closer to the magnetic field of the magnet in the shaft of the driver. When you add a piece of metal to a magnet it does extend the field of the magnet, however the magnetic field is weakened the further from the magnet it is. You can't attach a magnet to a metal object and turn the entire object in to an infinitely long magnet with equal force along the infinite length.

Found this which is useful as the calculator it uses is 1/4" magnet and has 1/4" diameter attachment (bit hex size) which is what the screwdriver would be using. The 20mm long bits are approximately 3/4" so select that for "Thickness". As you increase the "Thickness" (length of the bit) the magnetic force at the tip is weakened. It only allows you to select up to 1" length but that still shows that the magnetic force is weaker with the longer bit. Same is also true for the pull force, the further from the magnet the weaker the force.

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/blog.asp?p=block-or-extend

image.png

36 minutes ago, Imbadatnames said:

See:

On 8/20/2022 at 5:43 PM, Needfuldoer said:

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

31 minutes ago, Imbadatnames said:

Ah Australia

Having looked through few USA retailers, the average price of a Wera 816 Driver is approximately $60 USD. The highest price with Target at $70 and the lowest at $45 from amazon. This still doesn't include bits either which could cost upwards of $20 for 10 Wera stainless steel bits.

1 hour ago, DeltaBruggemann said:

Having looked through few USA retailers, the average price of a Wera 816 Driver is approximately $60 USD. The highest price with Target at $70 and the lowest at $45 from amazon. This still doesn't include bits either which could cost upwards of $20 for 10 Wera stainless steel bits.

Amazon here is £30 with 7 bits 

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

The 20mm bits it comes with will fit 12 in the holder in the shaft. If you replace them all with longer bits you can only fit 6. You can buy other 20mm hex screwdriver bits.

The bits themselves aren't magnetic, there's a magnet in the shaft that holds the bits in place and holds screws on to the tip of the bit. Using shorter bits means the tip of the bit is closer to the magnetic field of the magnet in the shaft of the driver. When you add a piece of metal to a magnet it does extend the field of the magnet, however the magnetic field is weakened the further from the magnet it is. You can't attach a magnet to a metal object and turn the entire object in to an infinitely long magnet with equal force along the infinite length.

Found this which is useful as the calculator it uses is 1/4" magnet and has 1/4" diameter attachment (bit hex size) which is what the screwdriver would be using. The 20mm long bits are approximately 3/4" so select that for "Thickness". As you increase the "Thickness" (length of the bit) the magnetic force at the tip is weakened. It only allows you to select up to 1" length but that still shows that the magnetic force is weaker with the longer bit. Same is also true for the pull force, the further from the magnet the weaker the force.

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/blog.asp?p=block-or-extend

image.png

See:

Not the inverse square though is it. Also not that accurate for the use case due to it being open on all sides vs enclosed in a metal cylinder along with the strength of the actual magnet at the base. The D44 is around 6000 gauss so you’ve already lost over 90% either way. The extra percent is negligible. 

9 hours ago, Imbadatnames said:

Does better quality for half the price make something better? Are you really asking that? 

What are you basing "better quality" on? I was unaware people outside the company had hands on experience yet with the LTT driver. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I am saying you are making an assumption. Maybe you will be right, maybe the LTT driver will be subpar when it launches, but one other possibility is that it launches and is a fantastic tool that out performs the Wera. Until we get hands on we don't know so I think making statements saying other drivers are better is factually unfounded.

5 minutes ago, Ravendarat said:

What are you basing "better quality" on? I was unaware people outside the company had hands on experience yet with the LTT driver. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I am saying you are making an assumption. Maybe you will be right, maybe the LTT driver will be subpar when it launches, but one other possibility is that it launches and is a fantastic tool that out performs the Wera. Until we get hands on we don't know so I think making statements saying other drivers are better is factually unfounded.

Everything I’ve heard around the screwdriver screams “I don’t know what I’m doing” and “rebranded POS”. What’s your bet it’s made in China and the tolerances are nowhere near what people like Wera and snap on maintain? 

Just now, Imbadatnames said:

Everything I’ve heard around the screwdriver screams “I don’t know what I’m doing” and “rebranded POS”. What’s your bet it’s made in China and the tolerances are nowhere near what people like Wera and snap on maintain? 

Its 100% not rebranded, as for tolerances and what not, I guess we will wait and see. Lets be honest, Linus loved his orange snap on driver and if he wanted to just rebrand one he would have gotten that one and launched this thing like 2 years ago and started making money then. Others have rebranded that same hard handled driver so the option is out there.

I'm not as cynical as you, I'm gonna give them a shot. I use ratcheting screwdrivers everyday at work, I make my money with them. I'll order one and if its as good as they tout than Ill buy  one for each of my toolboxes and one for home, if they aren't then Ill stick to my snap on one even though I feel its not a perfect design its still one of the better ones Ive used.

3 hours ago, Imbadatnames said:

It's starting to sound like you haven't even watched the video on the screwdriver.

They licenced MegaPro IP for the ratchet and the Bit Loader and they are working with a canadian mold maker for the handle.

They are using a Chinese factory but from what has been said on WAN show the Chinese factory is producing better ratchets then what Megapros recommended Taiwan factory could produce. You can watch for yourself here.

They have also said previously that the screwdriver qualifies for assembled in Canada branding. (Maybe it's made in canada but I can't find the WAN where that was said at this time.)

I wish I could justify an overnight trip and beat the piss out of it at the pop up.

Screwdriver?  More like hammer, prybar, and chisel 

Iykyk

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

6 minutes ago, Yoinkerman said:

I wish I could justify an overnight trip and beat the piss out of it at the pop up.

Screwdriver?  More like hammer, prybar, and chisel 

Iykyk

If you want a backpack as well it might be worth it. They said that have the last of the air shipped one’s available at the pop up shop.