Are intel 6th gen cores outdated?

Are intel 6th gen cores outdated?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Are intel 6th gen cores outdated?

• Yes
    • No

Intel 6th gen was 6 generations, or 7 years ago. After all this time, are these CPUs still relevant? 

I'm still running a 6700k. It sometimes chugs a little when it needs to generate new terrain in Astroneer, other than that it still does what I need it to. (But I don't play the latest AAA games, either.)

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Depends on what your doing. I'm still using a i7 2600, still does everything I need it to do.

Main Rig:

Ryzen 5800x, ASUS Crosshair Hero VII Wi-Fi, 32gb of Corsair Vengence Pro SL 3600 CL18, MSI Ventus 2 OC RTX 3060 12gb, Corsair H115i Pro AIO cooler, Soundblaster AE-7, Beyerdynamic DT 990 Edition 600Ohm headphones, Creative Giga Speakers, 1tb ADATA SX8200 NVME SSD, 1tb Intel 665P NVME SSD, 500gb Samsung 850 EVO SATA SSD, 8tb WB Black SATA HDD, LG SATA Blue Ray Drive, Corsair CX850M PSU, Coolermaster Stryker case, ROG ARGB strips, China ARGB fans, China ARGB SSD heat sink. 🤣

HTPC:

Erying 11800 ES CPU/Mobo combo, 32GB of Corsair LPX 3200 CL16, Gigabyte 4060 8gb LP, Thermalright AXP90 full copper cooler, WD Black SN770 500gb NVME SSD, WD Black SN770 1tb NVME SSD, Crucial MX500 2tb SATA SSD, WD Blue 2tb SATA HDD, Pioneer Blu-Ray burner, Intel AX200 WiFi/Bluetooth, Seasonic 300w TFX PSU, Silverstone ML11 case. STILL NO RGB! 😭

Retro Gamer PC:

VIA C3 1000Mhz, VIA Epia PD-10000 LVDS, 1gb of Kingston DDR, PNY Geforce FX5500 128mb PCI, WD 80GB HDD, Random CD-ROM, Random 250w mini psu, Mini ITX case 🤣

Can't recommend buying one used, mostly because the pricing for them is kinda just dumb ($140 for a 6700k is waaaay too much), but if you've already got one they're still pretty competent. Slap an RX 6600 in a 6700k rig and you've got a pretty nice 1080p gaming PC. 

It depends on what you're doing but for most things no it isn't outdated, you might want to upgrade if you're playing the latest AAA games or need more cores.

It all depends on what you want to do with it. I'm still fine with the i7-2600 in my office PC, but if I needed to regularly do more intensive work on that machine I'd definitely want an upgrade. I don't see Skylake as being terribly outdated in that regard. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

As AAA gaming chips, yes. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

My i5 6600 non-k is paired with 3070... four of them, and it's working fine

Depends on what you do with it, I suppose

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

How do you count a generation? Marketing generations, yes it is quite old. But it was also the architecture in place at the start of Intel's fabrication woes. So it was reused for many generations after that. 

In terms of microarchitecture, you could argue it is only 2 generations behind. There was Ice Lake and Tiger Lake on mobile only, but they're essentially the same apart from a cache size increase with the latter.

Or to put it in context against AMD, Skylake overall IPC would sit roughly between Zen+ and Zen 2. It would beat same core count AMD CPUs from 2 generations ago.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

The cores themselves are basically the same architecture as the cores in the 10th gen parts. So if we're asking about the individual Skylake cores, then saying they're outdated would mean that the cores in the 10th gen refresh from last year are outdated - the i3 10105 was only released in Q1 2021.

Of course, the idea that Comet Lake was an outdated refresh of a refresh of a refresh, 14nm+++∞ and beyond, was already being said when the original 10th gen came out...

I don't think Skylake is an outdated architecture. It does well in terms of the per core performance. The issue with 6th gen was that the core count stayed the same as it had been for 7 years, and it actually traded blows with Devil's Canyon. Plus it was on a new socket, and 5th gen was basically non-existent, which kind of burned people who invested in a Z97 board.

That's arguably not as bad as the Kaby Lake and Z270 release, where 8th gen came out within the year on an incompatible socket and obsoleted it. Or Rocket Lake and Z590, where the same thing happened with Alder Lake 9 months later.

Honestly the whole Skylake 14nm era was a rough time for Intel and Intel fans, but hopefully they will bounce back with the new CEO and we won't end up with Intel 7+++∞ for 16th gen in 2028.

9 hours ago, Middcore said:

As AAA gaming chips, yes. 

9 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

It depends on what you're doing but for most things no it isn't outdated, you might want to upgrade if you're playing the latest AAA games or need more cores.

You guy's are just looking at synthetic performance on low res uncapped gameplay, aren't you....

Anyone playing at 1440p is never gonna max these cores out without maxing a GPU first, and hyperthreaded quads still play everything as windows and your browser will just page on thread 7.  Thread 0/1/2 and maybe 3 might be burning up, but threads 4-7 aren't really working that hard so stacking background tasks there will not affect framerate. Skylake is still faster than Zen 1 and Zen 1 is still sufficient for higher-end GPUs at 1440 or higher resolutions.

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

2 hours ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

You guy's are just looking at synthetic performance on low res uncapped gameplay, aren't you....

Anyone playing at 1440p is never gonna max these cores out without maxing a GPU first, and hyperthreaded quads still play everything as windows and your browser will just page on thread 7.  Thread 0/1/2 and maybe 3 might be burning up, but threads 4-7 aren't really working that hard so stacking background tasks there will not affect framerate. Skylake is still faster than Zen 1 and Zen 1 is still sufficient for higher-end GPUs at 1440 or higher resolutions.

Yes you are. Easily. A lot of AAA games just have so much going on that even if the game runs at 30fps because the gpu can't keep up the cpu will still be pinned at 100%.

4core/4t cpu's are done for. 6c/6t ones too 8 threaded ones still have a bit of life in them left but that won't last too much longer. The moment the 8th gen consoles go is when the 8thread cpu's enter the boat of the lower threaded ones.

Are they outdated? Yes. Are they useless? Absolutely not. Performance is still good. Depending on the task.

For heavy tasks, e.g. modern games, you will require an i7 for the core/thread count. Modern games can easily use 6-8 threads. So unless your gpu is as old as the 6. gen cpu, you will be cpu limited. Especially with an i5 or lower. 4c/8t should work for a while longer, matched with other sensible hardware.

My personal experience, with my spare computer, is that a 4.gen. i7 will keep up with a 1080ti in modern games. And still play new games with a 75-100% cpu load at high settings.

I would not stick a 6.gen. cpu with a 3080 and expect to max out that gpu though. 🐵

3 hours ago, jaslion said:

Yes you are. Easily. A lot of AAA games just have so much going on that even if the game runs at 30fps because the gpu can't keep up the cpu will still be pinned at 100%.

4core/4t cpu's are done for. 6c/6t ones too 8 threaded ones still have a bit of life in them left but that won't last too much longer. The moment the 8th gen consoles go is when the 8thread cpu's enter the boat of the lower threaded ones.

Really, which games?  Find me a finished game made in the last 5 years that’s objectively gonna max out a 6700k before it maxes out a 2080ti at 1440p.  So much going on?  Yeah, and the GPU does all of it.  What is ‘PhysX’?  What are GPU APIs?  And coffee lake i5s are done for?  Shame.  Nevermind the haswell systems still doing fine at 4K…

Badly distorted hearsay.  You’re a parrot.

54 minutes ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

Really, which games?  Find me a finished game made in the last 5 years that’s objectively gonna max out a 6700k before it maxes out a 2080ti at 1440p.  So much going on?  Yeah, and the GPU does all of it.  What is ‘PhysX’?  What are GPU APIs?  And coffee lake i5s are done for?  Shame.  Nevermind the haswell systems still doing fine at 4K…

A 6700k is a 8 thread part that is fine for now. You can see the problem with 4c and 6c systems without smt in basically every AAA game of choice in the last couple of years.

Pick your battlefields, cods, assasins creeds, far cries, cyberpunk, horizon zero dawn,... and so much more.

31 minutes ago, jaslion said:

A 6700k is a 8 thread part that is fine for now. You can see the problem with 4c and 6c systems without smt in basically every AAA game of choice in the last couple of years.

Pick your battlefields, cods, assasins creeds, far cries, cyberpunk, horizon zero dawn,... and so much more.

That completely depends on the settings and target FPS. If you're okay with 60fps, then even the i5 8400 (the slowest of the 6c/6t chips you're referring to) will easily maintain that. The 4c/4t i5 and i3 chips since the Haswell days are also able to get around 60fps, if you're okay with occasional stutters. While not ideal, the games are far from unplayable.

The only game where you genuinely will have a problem with getting around 60fps is Battlefield 2042 multiplayer with 128 players, but that's also an issue for the 4c/8t chips (apart from the 12th gen i3 ones, which have no problem.)

10 hours ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

At 1080p, which is still the most popular gaming resolution according to Steam surveys, a 4 core CPU won't be enough for most of the latest AAA titles, maybe at 1080p low/medium with nothing else running in the background, but most people really don't do that anymore with discord, spotify or a browser open while gaming. And even if a 4c/8t can run the game that doesn't mean it will run well, some games have stuttering or frame drop issues with 4 core cpu's.

19 hours ago, hvzkt9co said:

Intel 6th gen was 6 generations, or 7 years ago. After all this time, are these CPUs still relevant? 

I mean, they are okay. But 6 core/12 thread cpus are so dirt cheap nowadays, idk why anyone would buy them in 2022. Maybe if you already have it I suppose

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

5 hours ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

Find me a finished game made in the last 5 years that’s objectively gonna max out a 6700k before it maxes out a 2080ti at 1440p.

i know for a fact that 6700k witrh a 2080ti at 1440p (exactly as u mentioned) in monster hunter world highest graphical setting with HD texture pack, the CPU is the bottleneck in that game

runs slightly below 80fps-ish in maps

even my 3900x is a bottleneck in that game paired with a 2070S, in term of single threaded performance, tbf

58 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

At 1080p, which is still the most popular gaming resolution according to Steam surveys, a 4 core CPU won't be enough for most of the latest AAA titles, maybe at 1080p low/medium with nothing else running in the background, but most people really don't do that anymore with discord, spotify or a browser open while gaming. And even if a 4c/8t can run the game that doesn't mean it will run well, some games have stuttering or frame drop issues with 4 core cpu's.

You’re misinterpreting the data. No one gaming at 1080p is using a high end GPU, and at 1440 or higher the framerate is gonna be lower anyway with the significantly heavier load on the GPU.

3 hours ago, Moonzy said:

i know for a fact that 6700k witrh a 2080ti at 1440p (exactly as u mentioned) in monster hunter world highest graphical setting with HD texture pack, the CPU is the bottleneck in that game

runs slightly below 80fps-ish in maps

even my 3900x is a bottleneck in that game paired with a 2070S, in term of single threaded performance, tbf

Does the game max out the 6700K? As in, does the CPU reach 100% utilization for all threads at those settings? Or is it just a single core performance limitation like with your 3900X?

37 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

Does the game max out the 6700K? As in, does the CPU reach 100% utilization for all threads at those settings? Or is it just a single core performance limitation like with your 3900X?

It's my friend's system so I'm not too sure, but I don't think it's pinned 100% on all threads, but perhaps each core is fully loaded (the game puts heavy load on the first thread of each core, not so much on the second thread)

My i5 6600 running that game on gtx970 would be pinned at 100% all threads on lower graphical settings, around 50 fps with horrible stutters when there's many critical hit particles

Running Windows 11 Pro just fine on my Intel Core i7 6850k / ASUS x99 Deluxe II w/ TPM 2.0 module system... just had to do a bare metal install. Works fine, responsive in workloads. Of course about the most intensive thing I do with the system other than gaming is use it for photo editing and Autodesk Sketchbook Pro / Corel Draw! Graphics Suite 2020 with my Huion Pen Display... but it does what I need it to well.

BlackDragon

Intel Core i9 10920x CPU; ASUS ROG Strix x299-E Gaming II Motherboard; 64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666 MHz Quad Channel Kit; EVGA RTX 2070 Gaming 8 GB; 2 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe m.2 SSD & 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe m.2 SSD; 1 TB WD Blue SATA SSD; 2x 6 TB HGST DeskStar NAS Hard Drives; Corsair Hydro H150i RGB PRO XT All In One Cooler; Corsair RM1000i 1000 Watt PSU; Corsair Commander Pro Lighting & Fan control; 4x Corsair HD120 RGB 120 mm fans - Intake ; Lian Li 011-Dynamic Razer Edition cube case, Windows 11 Pro 23H2

On 3/18/2022 at 3:33 PM, Queen Chrysalis said:

Many games have horrible 1% and 0.1% lows with old quad cores. Even the faster 6c6t cpu:s struggle and those even have not taken the hit from spectre updates. If my 3600 struggles 1080p with a 4 year old gpu, a 7700K will struggle horribly 1440p when paired with a 3070ti etc.