AMD just proved they're not your friend

3 hours ago, poochyena said:

Even Anthony said the latest ryzen is good enough, making threadripper kinda pointless.

Anthony does not hold truth over every possible use case a person might have. There are people who will benefit from quad channel memory, the more PCIe lanes and don't want to pay extra for EPYC bullshit that is barely available to most anyway.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

Just now, Elisis said:

Anthony does not hold truth over every possible use case a person might have. There are people who will benefit from quad channel memory, the more PCIe lanes and don't want to pay extra for EPYC bullshit that is barely available to most anyway.

Yes, but the point is even extreme users hardly see benefit in it. Add in the fact that wasn't mentioned before; Lots of tasks aren't even computed through the cpu, its GPU based now. The need for a threadripper CPU is just so extremely niche, there is no reason to put much focus into making more.

1 hour ago, poochyena said:

Yes, but the point is even extreme users hardly see benefit in it. Add in the fact that wasn't mentioned before; Lots of tasks aren't even computed through the cpu, its GPU based now. The need for a threadripper CPU is just so extremely niche, there is no reason to put much focus into making more.

A workstation platform isn't really niche... are you only considering home and like finance/commerce office users? 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 hour ago, Elisis said:

Yup there are edge cases.  And those are just that, edge cases.

The actual percentage of people who gain anything from the added cost of Threadripper is hella low.  

47 minutes ago, tkitch said:

Yup there are edge cases.  And those are just that, edge cases.

The actual percentage of people who gain anything from the added cost of Threadripper is hella low.  

true. its been the pci lanes. i used hard on tr

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

2 hours ago, Zando_ said:

A workstation platform isn't really niche

I didn't say it was.

3 hours ago, Zando_ said:

A workstation platform isn't really niche... are you only considering home and like finance/commerce office users? 

What used to be workstation?  Is now just a solid HEDT platform.

Need a fuckton of CPU Power?  A 12900K or 5950X has you covered in spades.

Tons of RAM?  unless you're passing 128 or 256GB?  Not an issue!

Tons of super-fast storage?  8TB SSDs all day, yo.

GPU Power?  Did someone mention an A6000 or RTX 3090?

Here's the thing, a lot of people have the "I NEED A WORKSTATION" idea stuck in their heads from 10+ years ago where getting an actual workstation build was the only way to get any form of multi-threaded support.  That's just no longer the case.

And unless you're doing something that OMGWTFBBQ I CAN"T NOT HAVE 40+ PCIE LANES!!!! (Which almost nobody is) a workstation platform?  Really doesn't do shit for you.

And for a lot of people who do have workloads that could legitimately benefit from it?  It'd be a better use of their time/skills if they could offload the processing to a server instead of wasting their time waiting on their own machine.

11 hours ago, StalePie42 said:

Do you by any chance have any more pictures ?

Sure. I posted some over in this thread. More of a build-progress than the actual finished product, but it gives you a better idea of everything that went into it :old-smile:

You would have to a special kind of fool to believe any of these companies are your friends. Which is one of the biggest reasons I find fanboys weird. I mean, you can like/love the product, but don't be stupid for a billion dollar corporation, lol.

Leonidas Specs: Ryzen 7 5800X3D | AMD 6800 XT Midnight Black | MSI B550 Gaming Plus | Corsair Dominator CL16 3200 MHz  4x8 32GB | be quiet! Silent Base 802

Maximus Specs: Ryzen 7 3700x | AMD 6700 XT Power Color Fighter | Asrock B550M-Itx/AC | Corsair Vengeance CL 16 3200 MHz 2x8 16 GB | Fractal Ridge Case (HTPC)

18 hours ago, poochyena said:

I didn't say it was.

You specifically mentioned Threadripper, which is AMD's Workstation/HEDT platform (EPYC being more server side). 

17 hours ago, tkitch said:

Need a fuckton of CPU Power?  A 12900K or 5950X has you covered in spades.

Unless you need more cores, which plenty of people do (it's usually the reason I've seen people buy a 3960X or 3970X, explicitly for the core/thread count).

Tons of RAM?  unless you're passing 128 or 256GB?  Not an issue!

Bandwidth. There are people who need massive capacity, but even for those using "only" 128-256GB RAM, being able to run above dual channel is very nice. 

Tons of super-fast storage?  8TB SSDs all day, yo.

Not fast enough. I know people who run RAID 0 PCIe 3.0 (and now 4.0) SSDs as a cache drive for photo/video editing, you need the PCIe lanes and slot bifurcation to do that. Some X500 series boards can do the bifurcation, but they haven't the lanes. 

GPU Power?  Did someone mention an A6000 or RTX 3090?

There is certainly less need for multiple GPUs now, yes. 

Here's the thing, a lot of people have the "I NEED A WORKSTATION" idea stuck in their heads from 10+ years ago where getting an actual workstation build was the only way to get any form of multi-threaded support.  That's just no longer the case.

And unless you're doing something that OMGWTFBBQ I CAN"T NOT HAVE 40+ PCIE LANES!!!! (Which almost nobody is) a workstation platform?  Really doesn't do shit for you.

Yep. There are tons of people who can use mainstream parts for their work and would gain nothing from going HEDT. My point is that there's still plenty of reason people do still use HEDT, and it's not as niche as y'all seem to think. 

And for a lot of people who do have workloads that could legitimately benefit from it?  It'd be a better use of their time/skills if they could offload the processing to a server instead of wasting their time waiting on their own machine.

Sort of? In some cases? But not categorically. If the answer were simply "offload it to a server 4head" and it was that easy, everyone would be doing it. You need a pretty beefy setup to offload stuff to a server and then process it faster than just a single powerful computer that does it all. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

5 minutes ago, Zando_ said:

You specifically mentioned Threadripper, which is AMD's Workstation/HEDT platform (EPYC being more server side).

Correct. I said threadripper, not workstation/HEDT. High end ryzen would fit perfectly well into a workstation PC, along with many intel options.

2 minutes ago, poochyena said:

Correct. I said threadripper, not workstation/HEDT. High end ryzen would fit perfectly well into a workstation PC, along with many intel options.

Confused on where you're drawing that line, as AMD sure doesn't. All their showcase stuff is creative workstation use, and they specifically call it a high-end desktop platform in multiple places: https://www.amd.com/en/products/ryzen-threadripper

Main PC 

14 hours ago, Luscious said:

Sure. I posted some over in this thread. More of a build-progress than the actual finished product, but it gives you a better idea of everything that went into it :old-smile:

that's one of the coolest computers i have seen in a while what are the specs?

1 minute ago, poochyena said:

I'm not drawing a line

Well:

1 hour ago, poochyena said:

Correct. I said threadripper, not workstation/HEDT.

Threadripper is AMD's workstation/HEDT line. It is explicitly called HEDT multiple times and all their marketing is based off high end production workstation use for 3D modeling, film studios, etc. 

Main PC 

tr has tons of pci lanes. normal cpu do not.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

37 minutes ago, Zando_ said:

Threadripper is AMD's workstation/HEDT line. It is explicitly called HEDT multiple times and all their marketing is based off high end production workstation use for 3D modeling, film studios, etc. 

yea? I know that

15 hours ago, StalePie42 said:

that's one of the coolest computers i have seen in a while what are the specs?

• Case Labs Mercury S8 case + pedestal - heavily customized with Prismatic powder coat in yellow/gunmetal, custom dust filtering and sound deadening foam
  • Asus Rampage V Extreme with Intel 8-core 5960X and 32GB GSkill 2800 DDR4 with Front Base LCD add-on
  • 4x GTX 980 Ti with EK blocks courtesy of EVGA
  • 5x chunky 80mm thick alphacool radiators
  • 26x Akasa Viper X static pressure optimized 120mm and 140mm fans on 3x Swiftech PWM splitters
  • 4x Delta 40mm PWM custom order RAM cooling fans (not the RGB ones shown, those were from the GSkill memory cooler that I also painted yellow 😎
  • 2x LG BD burner
  • old style EK D5 pump res with manual speed control, using EK clear coolant 1:9 with quality distilled water
  • EVGA 1600W T2 PSU - rig actually pulls "only" 1460 watts from the wall under full load
  • 250GB SSD boot drive, 2TB steam drive, 4TB data drive, 10TB backup drive and 32TB (4x8TB) media storage
  • 12x Halos Lux RGB fan frames hooked into a pair of el-cheapo RGB controllers. I'll upgrade to the addressable ones when these die 😀

Externally I'm rocking a LG 34UM95 monitor, Creative T40 speakers going through a TEAC UD-503 DAC, Logitech trackball/webcam and a tricked out Corsair K95 keyboard with two tone key caps, silicone rings on each key and their LCD accessory.

That's pretty much the build right there, plus a ton of time doing custom wiring, tubing, fittings, adapters, plugs, splitters, switches, special screws/bolts/washers, cable management and zip tying, applying case badges, plug covers and then getting all the software installed/tuned/running once powered on. This really was custom taken to the extreme!!! I have to say it was ONE HECK of an experience and I learned so much along the way. More importantly I've developed and refined my skills as a high end system builder. I would gladly do it all again if given the opportunity.

• 1 year later...
On 3/10/2022 at 8:41 PM, poochyena said:

It's kind of bittersweet that after years of being stuck with CPUs with just a handful of cores, we finally have affordable CPUs with many cores, and now GPU compute is taking off, making it irrelevant for most tasks that would benefit from it.