Have you cut the cord?

abhay6547

Ah, that sucks. I guess that's the only option if you want to keep some channels without paying anything :/ But if you're still unsure you could cancel the service for a month or two, see how you go, and if you feel like you need it back you can always sign up again :)

True, I guess the period that I don't have TV service will decide whether I really need it or not.

i9-6930X @ 5.3GHz | ASUS Z1007-A | 64TB G.Skill Ripjaw XIV 2400GHz RAM | GTX 1080 Ti | Corsair 900R

Corsair CX2500 W | 15TB WD Green | Noctua NH-D24

Yep.. Gotta love how popular that is here in Denmark.

It's quite sickening as a user who literally never watches TV.

All I want is fast fiber, but too bad that fiber (or even fast speeds (talking about upload too)) is a rarity right now.

If I had to choose I would get one of those Boxer things where you can get DR and TV2 and then just fast innnernetz

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

We just watch antenna and Netflix/amazon prime on our roku

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

technically because it was a deal for fibre and the tv. the only one who uses the cable is my brother and he doesn't live with us anymore

PC specs.3570k, asus p8z77m pro, 8gb corsair vengence 1600MHz, XFX 550w, seagate barracuda 1TB, MSI 660ti, cooler master k350, cooler master hyper tx3 evo.

I couldn't live with out my Sky+ I much rarther have that than mess around with netflix or amazon prime. I do have a subscription to amazon prime though but only cos I've had it since before they tookover Lovefilm and I rent blu-rays from them.

I also have a 3TB hdd in my nas filled with all the tv shows and films I want easy access to.

I only have cable because it was included in my internet package. I never use it, and don't even have the cable box plugged into anything.

For the past few years at my apartment I've only had Comcast internet but no cable.  I built a little HTPC in an itx lian li case for under the tv, and netflix and the power of the interwebs have been just fine.  But I'll be moving in to a bigger place that i'm buying in May and renting one of the rooms to my buddy.  So with him splitting the bill, I'll probably be getting a cable subscription again. It'll be nice to have random crap like the history channel and science channel again, and hgtv for my gf.  And it'll be nice to be able to watch FSU's away games without having to go to a bar lol.

Here in  Germany we have to pay. Even if we don't have a TV.

Huh? Explain.

Huh? Explain.

There is a thing called Rundfunck-Gebühren it's like 20€ a month and every citizen (except kids and unemployed and so on) has to pay it. Even if you don't have a Radio or a TV. If you have a PC they go well you can watch TV on that. Pay it. And then they make the shittest shows every whit really big budgets and they fucking suck. 

No TV here. I had it for like 4 months out of the last 5 years, and that was because I got offered a good package for $10/month.

I do kinda miss Jerry Springer and Maury in the mornings haha.

Never say it's not broken. Everything is broken. Why? Because everything needs MOAR POWA!

SKY HD+ interwebz.

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

I like watching PBS, BBC America, MSNBC/NBC, and HBO and I use the Comcast Xfinity.tv website for On-demand which is really useful so I'm keeping mah tv services. Also my parents would never get rid of our tv services.

I couldn't live with out my Sky+ I much rarther have that than mess around with netflix or amazon prime. I do have a subscription to amazon prime though but only cos I've had it since before they tookover Lovefilm and I rent blu-rays from them.

I also have a 3TB hdd in my nas filled with all the tv shows and films I

want easy access to.

Agree, Sky is baller.

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

stopped paying for tv when digital came standard in Australia

Its all about those volumetric clouds

Youtube has ruined tv and movies. The only time I watch that stuff is if my girlfriend insists. Otherwise, screw cable, spend it on faster internet

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

I cut cable 6 months ago. I was paying for cable, netflix, hulu, and internet. I find that i can watch almost all the shows I want on Netflix and Hulu. Until cable has some sort of a la cart option, im done with it. More people should do the same to force these company's to change.

Keep internet, go to projectfree.tv... enjoy life. 

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

My sister just moved into a new home and was deciding on which cable/internet package to get.

She went with just the internet package and bought a few Roku devices, one for each TV.  Coupled with Plex and Netflix and NHL Vault (for her son), she gets pretty much all she wanted.  The TV show seasons that she doesn't find on Netflix are on a Plex Media Server.   She chose netflix over Hulu because Hulu only allows simultaneous streaming to one device per account, while netflix allows two simultaneous devices to stream.  Also, Hulu has commercials which kind of sucks, considering it is a paid subscription.

She still misses things like E! and local news, etc.  But she gets that info now from visiting websites.  But she still misses it some. 

Here is what she would have paid if she went with a full cable TV package with measly 5mbps internet:

$92.98 USD = per month COX cable tv (240 channels) plus 5mbps internet

which comes to...

$1115.76 = COX cable tv for 12 months with 5mbps internet

plus

$323.64 = at 8.99 per receiver x 3 cablebox receivers for 12 months

equals

$1439.40... for one year of Cox 5mbps + 240 TV channels and receivers.

crazy expensive, and it is not even a premium internet at 5mbps.

Now instead she pays...

for 25mbps internet (I think they are still asking too much at $63 per month) + Netflix ($8 per month) + NHL ($5 per month) + Roku devices (a one time only purchase)

it is a start.  I still hate COX.  They allow scheduling a 2 hr window for installation service.  Then they ask for a 2nd optional time window incase they can't meet the first scheduled window... then they miss both 2 hr time windows and show up at random time later in the week when she was not home. lol.

In all honesty, Internet is all you need nowadays. So, I would keep that. 

This, I download movies or TV shows and watch everything in my room on my 24" computer monitor, I find that it looks really nice and doesn't bother me to watch it on a 24" monitor. 

Maybe one day I will buy a nice TV to use as a monitor etc.. otherwise it is a waste of money to pay for TV, all you need is the internet and you can watch and do anything you like.

“Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.”

I wish I could cut the cord for TV.

I almost never watch it and when I do, it's the news, that's all. But, I live with my elderly mother who recently got hit by a car, so she needs something to do while she's healing and that something is watching TV. I tried getting her to use things like netflix/youtube/going directly to the news website, but nope, she doesn't want to do that.(Doesn't help that we're French Canadian and she doesn't understand a word of English)

So we're paying $95 for our cable TV subscription, even if we only watch a couple channels, our provider is forcing us to get all those others channels we do not care about at a high cost. Basic channels + HD + 20 extra channels + 3 cablebox.

The only good news in all that, is that we will soon be switching to VOIP for our phone service, so that will be $30 less to pay monthly. (We pay that provider $125 a month for Phone and Cable)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I finally cut the cable TV cord and cut $160 off my bill.  I don't miss it at all, I do Netflix, Hulu, and Prime.

Dis track?  Jesus christ why'd we even fight a war?  - Ron Cadillac

I have virgin on its top pack , all the channels, 125mb fibre optic broadband (150 soon yay) and home phone too

I get it half price so its isnt too bad

£60 a month approx for Broadband, phone and TV (2 boxes, Tivo in lounge on my 47", normal box in my office 42")#

I also have Amazon Prime AND netflix---MUST HAVE IT ALLLLL MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

TV still matters. There are still lots of shows and things that you don't get to see on internet. Sports for example unless sometimes there is a specific subscription to something but that can still limit the amount of sports you can watch. While it's a lot more convenient to watch stuff online you don't always get to see things live or somes things aren't put online.

Between my netflix subscription, youtube, and my folks' hbo go, I get all I need as far as video goes. But I've fallen in love with music streaming, radio, and podcasts. They range from comedy (most of them) to political to long format history podcasts. I can just sit and listen to these for hours and be very entertained.

My sister just moved into a new home and was deciding on which cable/internet package to get.

She went with just the internet package and bought a few Roku devices, one for each TV.  Coupled with Plex and Netflix and NHL Vault (for her son), she gets pretty much all she wanted.  The TV show seasons that she doesn't find on Netflix are on a Plex Media Server.   She chose netflix over Hulu because Hulu only allows simultaneous streaming to one device per account, while netflix allows two simultaneous devices to stream.  Also, Hulu has commercials which kind of sucks, considering it is a paid subscription.

She still misses things like E! and local news, etc.  But she gets that info now from visiting websites.  But she still misses it some. 

Here is what she would have paid if she went with a full cable TV package with measly 5mbps internet:

$92.98 USD = per month COX cable tv (240 channels) plus 5mbps internet

which comes to...

$1115.76 = COX cable tv for 12 months with 5mbps internet

plus

$323.64 = at 8.99 per receiver x 3 cablebox receivers for 12 months

equals

$1439.40... for one year of Cox 5mbps + 240 TV channels and receivers.

crazy expensive, and it is not even a premium internet at 5mbps.

Now instead she pays...

for 25mbps internet (I think they are still asking too much at $63 per month) + Netflix ($8 per month) + NHL ($5 per month) + Roku devices (a one time only purchase)

it is a start.  I still hate COX.  They allow scheduling a 2 hr window for installation service.  Then they ask for a 2nd optional time window incase they can't meet the first scheduled window... then they miss both 2 hr time windows and show up at random time later in the week when she was not home. lol.

Well, my sister sent me an email today saying that COX reported her going over the 250GB data usage cap.  Bad news is that she is only about half way through her monthly billing period.  Yeah, they watch ALOT of streaming content.

So now she must consider either curbing their streaming usage or else just go back to Cox Cable.  sucks balls.  The good news however is that COX does not charge her if she exceeds the cap.  But if she continues to exceed the cap excessively they may suspend her service.

It could be worse, if she was on COMCAST and if she had gone over their data usage cap (300GB I think) then they would have charged her for it.

I told her to try simply cutting down on the usage... don't fall asleep watching movies.  Don't stream while brushing teeth and making breakfast or dinner.  Don't leave a movie or tv show streaming for the dog while she is out shopping., etc.