How long can Gamecube disks last?

Joduko

I was thinking of getting a gamecube, but I'm hesitant because I realize the console is over 20 years old and it uses disk format for all the games.

Don't these things get "data rot" after such a long time? How long could the game disc for these classic consoles last?

Quality dvd disks and cds are projected to last 30-80 years as long as stored in the right way. But disks that are commonly used will wear out far quicker.

But for a gc I recommend you get a wii with gamecube built in (they are cheaper too) and then homebrew it so you can have backups of the game and use it when the disk dies.

Yeah, its kind of a "how long is a piece of string?" type question....

It depends on so many variables its impossible to say. Manufacturing quality, authoring process, storage, how much usage it gets, environmental conditions where it is stored etc etc.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

10 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Yeah, its kind of a "how long is a piece of string?" type question....

It depends on so many variables its impossible to say. Manufacturing quality, authoring process, storage, how much usage it gets, environmental conditions where it is stored etc etc.

Like my friend broke 5 copies of gta sa and it basically never left the ps2 and was pretty much scratch free. But simply due to being used by him and his 3 siblings almost every waking hour that game kept breaking. Yet late with gta V on the 360 only 1 copy broke. So yeah just goes to show how different things can be.

Hell, my Sega CD and Saturn discs still work. If they are cared for you can look forward to a long life. As for the Wii with backward compatibility I found the games on Gamecube to look better than playing them on the Wii. Weird and maybe it's just me. Though now my Wii is bricked after the store shut down so it's a moot point.

I've had a GameCube almost since launch, many of the games I have were purchased at that time and still work great. As long as a disc has been cared for, even PS1 games can still work well.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

I have quite a few Gamecube games, and haven't found a dead disc yet. Scratched discs aside, the only optical discs I've ever had trouble with are the writable ones.

i got disc games from ps1 and up and they all still work, treat them well and you will have them a long time. if buying them just buy from reputable sellers. Many times disc rot you see reported is from games not being stored or treated properly. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5700x  (evga 240 AIO cooling)
PBO Settings:
Boost Override CPU: +200
CO: -17 all core
PPT: 140
TDC:  110
EDC: 150
Scalar: Auto

Mobo: Asrock x570 steel legend wifi ax

GPU: asrock challenger 7800xt 16 gb

Ram: 32 gb @3600 mhz

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C White

PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-1000

Storage: 1tb Samsung 860 ssd, 1tb nvme, 2tb Hitachi HDD, 3tb HDD for media

Display: Samsung 27" CHG70 1440p QLED Monitor

Pressed optical discs should last a lifetime.

Disc rot exists but it usually happens to specific titles because of bad manufacturing. There were famous examples of certain discs rotting in every generation; laserdisc, CD, Blu-ray, etc. There are probably certain GameCube titles that rot more than others.

Burned optical discs are a total crapshoot. Most people bought the cheapest media possible and a lot of them go bad pretty quickly.

The only disc format that I've seen widespread longevity issues reported with is HD DVD, and that seems limited to a few studios. So it was likely a manufacturing process issue, likely cost savings in the short term before they knew better. Though, since Blu-Ray won the battle, it's not a big deal. 

If you're concerned about preserving your discs, just make sure they're properly stored and make sure the console is level when the discs are in use to avoid any issues. Replacement rubber feet can also be used to ensure vibrations are dampened. 

I ended up grabbing these to replace the pads on a handful of old electronics I have.

Still one of the best consoles of all time in my opinion. I had it since launch basically and everything from the game disks to the memory cards still works perfectly. Therefore, at least 20 years from my experience.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB