Is anyone actually buying new keyboards?

Lord Szechenyi

Seeing the latest video I was wondering, does anyone actually buy these keyboards (or any)?

My keyboard is the oldest hardware in my setup, as everything is less than 2 years old but they keyboard is 15 years old, some of the letters are actually gone (as in, the inscription, the actual key still works)

It's a Genius SlimStar 220 btw.

By the activity on this forum I'm pretty sure people buy keyboards (unless everybody is on their phone). More than one every 5 or 10 years? Probably only if they are buying cheap crappy ones, into them or don't like their current one. I'm still rocking my Corsair K70 that I bought, what, 7 years ago now?

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

5 minutes ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

Seeing the latest video I was wondering, does anyone actually buy these keyboards (or any)?

My keyboard is the oldest hardware in my setup, as everything is less than 2 years old but they keyboard is 15 years old, some of the letters are actually gone (as in, the inscription, the actual key still works)

It's a Genius SlimStar 220 btw.

Yeah, I bought the RK61 almost 2 years ago now, that one was also in the video

Hope my response helps 🙂 

GPU MSI Gaming Ventus OC RTX 2060 CPU Intel Core i5-12600k Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X Memory Crucial DDR5 4800 Storage Western Digital SN850 500gb | PSU Corsair RM650x (2018) | CPU cooler Corsair H150i Elite Capellix Monitor MSI  Mouse Logitech G305 White Keyboard Royal Kludge RK61 (Cherry MX Reds) | Headset Logitech G533 |

My Dell SK-8115 is amazing and I will use it until an important key dies or until I do. Then I'll probably pony up the insane amounts of money people want for used ones to get a replacement.

It has the perfect level of compression on each key press to limit fatigue when typing for long periods, which as an amateur author and amateur programmer is very important to me.

I've bought and used three different keyboards in the past 5 years, I think. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Depends  i clean my keayboard at least once a month my keyboard and keep them in good condition,but every 2 years my tastes change and i want something different in my setup.Since i am too poor to build a new pc i can atleast buy new mousepad and keyboard.

I've got two mechanical keyboards (a G910 Orion Spark and a Razer BlackWidow Chroma). Both of them still work totally fine and I see no reason to buy another one until they break somehow. Since I regularly clean them and as a general rule don't eat at my desk at all and keep any drinks around my electronics closed (bottles only - with keycaps), I don't really expect them to.

One thing I can say is that I definitely wouldn't want anything else than a mechanical keyboard anymore. Every time I have to use something else (like the crappy chinaware keyboards my colleagues at work have), I instantly dislike the feeling intensely.

Over the past 6-7 years, I have bought 4 different mechanical keyboards. Not because I wanted to upgrade mine or anything, my K70 RGB is still going strong, but more because they were really cheap and it let me have some for different machines and for spares. My keyboard isn't the oldest thing in my setup, that would have to be reserved for my auxiliary monitors, but it's definitely close. Most people I know just buy one good keyboard and use it till it breaks. 

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Over the past 6-7 years, I have bought 4 different mechanical keyboards. Not because I wanted to upgrade mine or anything, my K70 RGB is still going strong, but more because they were really cheap and it let me have some for different machines and for spares. My keyboard isn't the oldest thing in my setup, that would have to be reserved for my auxiliary monitors, but it's definitely close. Most people I know just buy one good keyboard and use it till it breaks. 

I've had the same K70 that I've used everyday for almost a decade at this point. Great keyboard. 

I just haven't seen anything the past 10 years that peaks my interest.  I am still rocking a vintage Logitech G19.  Love the fact that it has the built in color LCD screen and there has been nothing on the market recently with that feature.  I run my system temps/loads on it as a sensor panel and I would miss having that feedback.

1 hour ago, vf1000ride said:

I just haven't seen anything the past 10 years that peaks my interest.  I am still rocking a vintage Logitech G19.  Love the fact that it has the built in color LCD screen and there has been nothing on the market recently with that feature.  I run my system temps/loads on it as a sensor panel and I would miss having that feedback.

Given that my laptop has been my desktop's primary keyboard for the last 4 years or so, no, i don't buy keyboards anymore.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Been using my Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Classic for 10+ years now. I also have some cheap membrane keyboards on my other computers that are still going strong 10+ years later.

Sadly, some keys on my Razer are showing signs of age, so I'll either have to learn how to solder or get a new kb for my main rig. 😕

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

3 hours ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

Yep, thats the one.  Here's mine, it's held up fairly well for how old it is.

IMG_20220209_204638306_HDR.jpg

3 minutes ago, vf1000ride said:

Yep, thats the one.  Here's mine, it's held up fairly well for how old it is.

IMG_20220209_204638306_HDR.jpg

That's a nice keyboard. I have a G910, it's pretty decent too. But I like yours better 🙂 

Been only buying new keyboards once the keyboard I was using started to fail. So far I have used 2 different keyboard I actually bought myself.

My first gaming keyboard was a Roccat keyboard that came with a pre-built about 15 years ago. Which I damaged after about 3 years by dropping something on it and some keys started to become very stiff almost unusable. Bought my first keyboard about 2 years after that. A SteelSeries Apex RAW which I used for about 8 years until January of last year. At about 6 years of use I spilled a drink on it and even though I cleaned it thoroughly some keys didn't work the way they used to after. After some time that became more and more annoying so I bought a new Keyboard a Logitech G815. Which is the best keyboard I ever had and I really don't see me replacing that any time soon.

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Display: Samsung Odyssey G7A (28" 4K 144Hz)

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

It’s what’s referred to as an upgrade market. Realistically just about anyone with a pc has at some point bought an ok keyboard or their pc came with one. The majority of purchases for a new keyboard are either replacements for damaged ones, or they’re upgrading the keyboard they have.

That little hobbyist community is a tiny part of the keyboard market. The average person buying a Corsair K70 or something is usually upgrading from an oem keyboard and will use it until it needs to be replaced.

8 hours ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

keyboard is 15 years old

Thats older than many people in LTT's audience. Not even making a joke here, people buy their first keyboard eventually. Someone is buying their first new keyboard every day. Personally, I have been using my keyboard for almost 6 year (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005IPKU20/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). I like it for its slim profile, but i've seen low profile mechanical keyboard and might upgrade when I upgrade my PC later this year (~6 months or so from now)

I've had mine for probably 8 years. But it took buying 5 or 6 to get the one I liked. K70, K95, trash. G410 meh. Romer keys aren't great. The G.Skill I have is the best I've found. 

I do plan to buy a custom keyboard sometime soon. GMMK Pro in green. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

9 hours ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

No. I'm using the same keyboard and mouse from my first build 20 years ago. It's something I've never even thought about upgrading. All this hype about "mechanical" keyboards is a bunch of nonsense too.

My current keyboard is 9 years old, I love it it's an A1243 and I fear the day it breaks since it's not made any more. 

It's the best keyboard ever made. 

5 hours ago, dilpickle said:

All this hype about "mechanical" keyboards is a bunch of nonsense too.

To be fair I really don't want to use the Speccy's keyboard

ZXSpectrum48k.jpg

I'm still rocking my k95 rgb 18G key variant and god knows who long they havent made/sold any of those , and I don't intend to change it, it still works and there really isnt another 18 macro keyboard out there.

RAM 32 GB of Corsair DDR4 3200Mhz            MOTHERBOARD ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
CPU Ryzen 9 5950X             GPU dual r9 290's        COOLING custom water loop using EKWB blocks
STORAGE samsung 970 EVo plus 2Tb Nvme, Samsung 850 EVO 512GB, WD Red 1TB,  Seagate 4 TB and Seagate Exos X18 18TB

Psu Corsair AX1200i
MICROPHONE RODE NT1-A          HEADPHONES Massdrop & Sennheiser HD6xx
MIXER inkel mx-1100   peripherals Corsair k-95 (the og 18G keys one)  and a Corsair scimitar

11 hours ago, Giganthrax said:

Been using my Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Classic for 10+ years now. I also have some cheap membrane keyboards on my other computers that are still going strong 10+ years later.

Sadly, some keys on my Razer are showing signs of age, so I'll either have to learn how to solder or get a new kb for my main rig. 😕

I replaced the keycaps on mine with razors newer higher quality ones and still rocking my older black widow ultimate as well.

this keyboard has been fantastic

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

System: R9-5950x, ASUS X570-Pro, Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070s. 32GB DDR4 @ 3200mhz.

6 hours ago, dilpickle said:

No. I'm using the same keyboard and mouse from my first build 20 years ago. It's something I've never even thought about upgrading. All this hype about "mechanical" keyboards is a bunch of nonsense too.

It’s not nonsense. But it is over hyped. There’s a difference 

if you’re not a heavy typist and just game with you’re regular wasd from time to time, it’s not a huge deal. or game’s primary with a controller 

but if you’re someone who spends hours a day typing and type at exceptionally quick speeds, a good keyboard with a good quality switch makes a massive difference. Both in keyboard responsiveness, accuracy of actuation, and lifespan.

Non mechanical keyboards use bubble switches mostly. And the plastic eventually loses is springiness, can dry our, or get ruined by moisture. Bubble dome based keyboards will all eventually start wearing down and performing an uneven experience with key actuation.

if you use a computer a lot. Type a lot. Game with it a lot. There are absolutely positives to using a mechanical keyboard. Especially since they have numerous different switch types to and you can get a keyboard that actuates more comfortable for you.

I’m partial to blues… so clickity clickity clickity clickity clickity clack all day long 

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

System: R9-5950x, ASUS X570-Pro, Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070s. 32GB DDR4 @ 3200mhz.