Does my board have pcie gen 4?

I'm looking at a rx 6500 xt, I know, everyone says it's bad but where I live it's close in price to the 1050ti, so yeah.

I heard that I need pci gen 4 to get the most out of it though.

I'm finding contradicting information about pcie gen 4, where some say that it is only available on b550 and 570 motherboards...

Mine is MSI B450 Gaming Plus, what I found on the website (https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-GAMING-PLUS/Specification) says:

• PCI-E X16: 2
  • PCI-E GEN: Gen3(16) (8), Gen2(4)

Will I be able to run the gpu with gen 4? Anything I need to know about it?

No. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

2 minutes ago, Middcore said:

No. 

I see thank you

8 minutes ago, pacote said:

I'm finding contradicting information about pcie gen 4, where some say that it is only available on b550 and 570 motherboards...

Those who say that are correct. Any information saying it is available on other AM4 boards is in error. 

Note that the CPU must also support PCIe 4.0, which Ryzen 5000 and 3000 (except 3400G and 3200G APU's) do. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

30 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Those who say that are correct. Any information saying it is available on other AM4 boards is in error. 

Note that the CPU must also support PCIe 4.0, which Ryzen 5000 and 3000 (except 3400G and 3200G APU's) do. 

And the 5000 series APUs: 5600G and 5700G. Those only support PCIe 3.0, as well.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

20 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

And the 5000 series APUs: 5600G and 5700G. Those only support PCIe 3.0, as well.

Do they? They're Zen 2 so they ought to support 4.0. 

Huh. That's weird. Makes AMD's site here misleading: https://www.amd.com/en/promotions/pcie4 5600G and 5700G probably weren't out when it was made and it was never updated.

40 minutes ago, pacote said:

I'm looking at a rx 6500 xt, I know, everyone says it's bad but where I live it's close in price to the 1050ti, so yeah.

I heard that I need pci gen 4 to get the most out of it though.

Mine is MSI B450 Gaming Plus, what I found on the website (https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-GAMING-PLUS/Specification) says:

• PCI-E X16: 2
  • PCI-E GEN: Gen3(16) (8), Gen2(4)

Will I be able to run the gpu with gen 4? Anything I need to know about it?

I highly recommend spending a little more for a better video card. The 6500xt should never have been released on desktop. It's a part that was designed for mobile computing.

You'd be much better off with a used Rx 580 8GB or an RTX 2060.

PSU Tier List   AMD Motherboard Tier List   SSD Tier List

If your issue is resolved, please share the fix with the community.

1 hour ago, Middcore said:

Huh. That's weird. Makes AMD's site here misleading: https://www.amd.com/en/promotions/pcie4 5600G and 5700G probably weren't out when it was made and it was never updated.

Yeah, it's a bit odd. I'm not sure why they don't have PCIe 4.0, but I guess there was some reason in AMD's infinite wisdom. It's really screwed over a lot of people that bought them as an interim solution because of the GPU shortage, and now just want one of these budget cards.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

i agree dont get that gpu, its shit, and definitely not worth buying a new mobo for, just get a bit better gpu then you dont have to worry about pcie4 at all.

kind of feels this gpu only exists to push people towards buying new motherboards …  

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

22 hours ago, Middcore said:

The 5000G CPUs are Zen 3. It's the 4000G series that are Zen 2 based. And the reason they all only support Gen 3 PCIe is that they are based on the AMD mobile chips; they are monolithic without chiplets and without the IO die.