Hiding PCs in open closet

hootie318

I have two mid-tower PCs. I just built out a small closet (see attached photos). The closet (40" wide, 48" deep, 70 - 80" tall) will only be closed with a bifold door having only clothes hanging on the left and be located on the shelves to the right.

Do you think I would have any real heat issues? I don't have the ability to test the environment without taking both "servers" down for a day or two. I could possibly put a 10" desk fan to blow from the back to the front to the closet toward the bifold door. 

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

PXL_20220122_163001426.jpg

PXL_20220123_212422864.jpg

Definitely needs ventilation.
I would suggest a grill or 2 on the door and maybe a fan.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

I have 3 Linux Servers and my Modem, router, and switch in a closet that size. 

2 Are old Laptops, one is "mid teir" system. Absolutely no heating issues. I do have a 120mm fan in the closet that circulates the air around,  but other than that its just what's in the systems themselves for fans.

Sorry I probably edited my post. Refresh plz. Build Specs Below.

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5900x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F
  • RAM
    32 GB (2X8) Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CAS 16
  • GPU
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3070
  • Case
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
  • Storage
    Sabrent 1 TB TLC PCI 4.0 NVMe M.2
  • PSU
    NZXT C850 Gold PSU
  • Display(s)
    MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34" UWQHD
  • Cooling
    Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT 240mm
  • Operating System
    Windows 11

Any time you restrict ambient airflow, things can get wonky.  Same reason all those plastic partitions people started puting up for Covid--are a bad idea; they create stagnant air.

I guess if you could put a small vent above the door frame, that might help.  Might also consider a bead curtain instead of a closed, bifold door.  Or if you are going to keep the door shut, try soundproofing it and sticking a carpet blower or some such in the closet--to keep the airflow going full tilt.

20 minutes ago, mr fobs said:

I have 3 Linux Servers and my Modem, router, and switch in a closet that size. 

2 Are old Laptops, one is "mid teir" system. Absolutely no heating issues. I do have a 120mm fan in the closet that circulates the air around,  but other than that its just what's in the systems themselves for fans.

Thats also not really comparable because most laptop cpu's don't ever even go over 45w and mid tier ones usually are like 25w compared to the normal mimal 65w power draw most desktop units have + all the other more heat generating components.

For op for sure have ventilation eventually it will heat up and the clothes are a good heattrap too.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Thats also not really comparable because most laptop cpu's don't ever even go over 45w and mid tier ones usually are like 25w compared to the normal mimal 65w power draw most desktop units have + all the other more heat generating components.

For op for sure have ventilation eventually it will heat up and the clothes are a good heattrap too.

Fair.. The system I have in there is 550w system. I have other things in the closet too like boxes, tools, and luggage cases. I was mostly offering mine for comparison.

Sorry I probably edited my post. Refresh plz. Build Specs Below.

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5900x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F
  • RAM
    32 GB (2X8) Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CAS 16
  • GPU
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3070
  • Case
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
  • Storage
    Sabrent 1 TB TLC PCI 4.0 NVMe M.2
  • PSU
    NZXT C850 Gold PSU
  • Display(s)
    MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34" UWQHD
  • Cooling
    Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT 240mm
  • Operating System
    Windows 11

If the door is left open it should be fine. You will need at least some ventilation otherwise things will get pretty hot in a small space like that 

Looks like you did a good job installing the closet and shelves.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

-> Moved to Cooling

Need of air circulation depends on actual components you have. But like said, if door is close, you will need something to circulate air in and our. Or just in from some low point.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv