Best pen for really, really bad paper?

Sarra

For my job, I have to write, pretty much all day long, on the cheapest, lowest quality, massively bulk purchased paper that you can imagine. It's so bad, that every pen I've ever owned has just stopped working. I suspect that the fibers actually jam the ball, and it's happened with BIC garbage pens, fine point ball pens, gel pens, and pretty much everything I've owned. I even had Fischer brand Space Pens jam to the point that I literally could not use them anymore.

I've been told to just buy BIC pens in bulk, but seriously, it sucks throwing away a plastic tube that has an ink cartridge in it that's still 80% full. It's not only wasteful, but it really sucks having to carry around a bunch of pens.

I also like to fidget with crap, and since I can't take folding knives to work with me (I have a bugout and an M16 that I flip almost constantly when I'm home), I've been thinking about buying a less expensive bolt action pen, and getting refills for it that work better with crap tier paper.

Any suggestions for a pen type? This is for government, so it HAS to be black ink. Beyond that, as long as it writes reliably until it's 95% empty, I don't care. And it's gotta go on the road with me, so fountain pens... Probably not so much.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

58 minutes ago, Sarra said:

For my job, I have to write, pretty much all day long, on the cheapest, lowest quality, massively bulk purchased paper that you can imagine. It's so bad, that every pen I've ever owned has just stopped working. I suspect that the fibers actually jam the ball, and it's happened with BIC garbage pens, fine point ball pens, gel pens, and pretty much everything I've owned. I even had Fischer brand Space Pens jam to the point that I literally could not use them anymore.

I've been told to just buy BIC pens in bulk, but seriously, it sucks throwing away a plastic tube that has an ink cartridge in it that's still 80% full. It's not only wasteful, but it really sucks having to carry around a bunch of pens.

I also like to fidget with crap, and since I can't take folding knives to work with me (I have a bugout and an M16 that I flip almost constantly when I'm home), I've been thinking about buying a less expensive bolt action pen, and getting refills for it that work better with crap tier paper.

Any suggestions for a pen type? This is for government, so it HAS to be black ink. Beyond that, as long as it writes reliably until it's 95% empty, I don't care. And it's gotta go on the road with me, so fountain pens... Probably not so much.

A M16 Assault Rifle? Or type of Folding Knife?

What kind of BIC pens did you try? BIC Round Stic (the blue translucent sticks) have served me well for many years. They had a tendency to splotch when they're about to go, but otherwise did great. Nvm, these are blue only AFAIK. Interesting that your government requires black. Here it is black or blue, with a preference for blue as it's easily distinguished from printer ink in copies.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

Hey there.

10 hours ago, Sarra said:

For my job, I have to write, pretty much all day long, on the cheapest, lowest quality, massively bulk purchased paper that you can imagine. It's so bad, that every pen I've ever owned has just stopped working. I suspect that the fibers actually jam the ball, and it's happened with BIC garbage pens, fine point ball pens, gel pens, and pretty much everything I've owned.

It's Pilot G2 pens for me. Served me great from middle school to university.

• Pilot G2 Ultra Fine Point (0.38 mm): My preferred mm. Suits small, fine handwriting, but it does clog up easily.
  • Pilot G2 Extra Fine Point (0.5 mm): The other choice. Serves decent for small, fine handwriting. I find it clogs up less often than the 0.38 mm.
  • Pilot G2 Fine Point (0.7 mm) : Never tried these. I suppose they're an option for people that like thicker lines.

All the above are also refillable.

Do note that the Pilot G2s are rollerballs with gel inks. No idea how well they'll perform on your paper.

If one of my pens does clog up, I tend to run it on a piece of recycled paper or notepad paper several times to get the ball rolling again. I hear a rubber surface works just as well, though I've never tried that method.

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

7 hours ago, whm1974 said:

A M16 Assault Rifle? Or type of Folding Knife?

https://www.crkt.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=m16

27 minutes ago, tikker said:

What kind of BIC pens did you try? BIC Round Stic (the blue translucent sticks) have served me well for many years. They had a tendency to splotch when they're about to go, but otherwise did great. Nvm, these are blue only AFAIK. Interesting that your government requires black. Here it is black or blue, with a preference for blue as it's easily distinguished from printer ink in copies.

It's for verification. They actually make copies of what we write, and blue messes with our super low budget copier.

I wonder if I could get a bolt pen that takes G2 cartridges...

6 hours ago, Sarra said:

It's for verification. They actually make copies of what we write, and blue messes with our super low budget copier.

Funny how governments are always so anal about high quality copies when it's about my stuff, but whenever I receive something from them it could sometimes be the worst quality copy on the planet for all they care as long as I got it.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

6 hours ago, tikker said:

Funny how governments are always so anal about high quality copies when it's about my stuff, but whenever I receive something from them it could sometimes be the worst quality copy on the planet for all they care as long as I got it.

Well, it's not actual government, I work for a company that gets funding from the government. They have the capability of auditing us, and we have to verify everything we do on paper. So, we blast through forests worth of paper. And sadly, since we deal with HIPPA crap, almost all of it gets shredded in the end.

Just now, adarw said:

get a gel pen 🙂

I've got gel pens, and they jam or skip or just stop writing just the same as ball and roller pens. 😧

40 minutes ago, Sarra said:

Well, it's not actual government, I work for a company that gets funding from the government. They have the capability of auditing us, and we have to verify everything we do on paper. So, we blast through forests worth of paper. And sadly, since we deal with HIPPA crap, almost all of it gets shredded in the end.

Maybe a finewriter (the things with the sort of soft tips)? Although those never lived long for me. If you're a "heavy" writer maybe trying to use less pressure is something to look into.

A fine(ish) point Sharpie.

Or an airbrush, and practice your calligraphy.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

10 hours ago, tikker said:

Maybe a finewriter (the things with the sort of soft tips)? Although those never lived long for me. If you're a "heavy" writer maybe trying to use less pressure is something to look into.

Hmm. Maybe... I'm not a heavy writer, unless the ball jams, then I can go full gorilla.

8 hours ago, Caroline said:

Fountain pens are sturdy, I wrote entire essays, articles, whole notebooks and more for Uni and it hasn't failed on me, I like blue ink but you can pretty much use any colour you want. As long as you don't get a 20 cent school pen it's gonna be fine.

Ballpoint pens will jam sooner or later even if the paper's good, can try heating up the point using a lighter then quicky scratch a paper but it won't last for long, it's kind of an exam trick.

It has to live in my pocket, and I'm out and about all day long for my job. I mean, maybe... I've never actually used one. 😄

7 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

A fine(ish) point Sharpie.

Or an airbrush, and practice your calligraphy.

There would be many bricks getting... shat... if I brought an airbrush to work, and used that on my paperwork. lmao

I buy my own Muji pens to use almost exclusively at work. Rarely bother with the ones they provide at the workplace. You can buy refills as well so you just swap out the actual writing assembly rather than trashing the whole thing every time. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

3 hours ago, Sarra said:

It has to live in my pocket, and I'm out and about all day long for my job. I mean, maybe... I've never actually used one. 😄

I'd say the Kaweco Sport is pretty solid pocket fountain pen - though shitty paper can get stuck in fountain pen tines you can pretty easily get the fibres out with a verrry thin brass sheet, though the Sport will run you around 25-30 USD

But if size isn't a huge issue something like the Platinum Preppy ($3-4 typically) is excellent, cheap starter FP, or the Pilot Varsity (also about $3) - this is technically a disposable pen but you can hack it to refill, see Google

And depending on how absorbent the paper is it might bleed and/or feather (those tendril-y bits you might see with especially wet inks) a lot, might want to be intentional with your ink choices - I have heard very good things about Noodler's X-Feather Black

Another thing to note is nib size, a finer nib (within the same line/style of nib) will write thinner/feather less but it's going to dig fibres up more...because...physics?

edit: forgot to mention, can put ink in a plastic lab vial or something and then you have a pen and ink that typically lasts me a few days with prolific multi-page notetaking

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

I’ve just used Uniball Eye pens since college as they’re water and fade resistant. Also very solid and will write on anything that’s not glossy. 

you want a non-ball pen it seems.

https://www.staples.com/Pilot-Razor-Point-II-Fine-Line-Marker-Pens-Super-Fine-Point-Red-12-Pack-11011/product_64111

https://www.staples.com/Pilot-Fineliner-Marker-Pens-Fine-Point-Black-PIL11002/product_902991

there's a number of brands like these.  The only risk, if you push too hard you can utterly wreck the tip.  

this was my choice until a kid threw it in the wash XD

but it's metal, sturdy, writes well, and best of all it's refillable.

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

I have found that the Staples Sonix Gel pens work best for me on cheap bulk buy paper.

Link here

Junk Yard Dog Build

I7 -10700K
MSI Z490 MPG Gaming Plus

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32gb (4x8gb) DDR4 (3200 MHz)

Gigabyte RTX 2060 Gaming OC Pro

Corsair H115i Platinum AIO

EVGA 750 GQ

In a Cyberpower PC X-Titan case

• 3 months later...

I ended up buying a Pilot G2 pen, and as of now, the only problem I've had has been minor ink dripping. When writing, I sometimes have to wipe the little drop off the tip, but other than that, it hasn't jammed up or started skipping, though it's started writing lighter at times. I think there's actual junk in the tip, but it's still writing, so I'm not gonna flip my lid over it.