365 Is a ripoff

Microsofts Windows 365 service is what I am refering to, not to be confused with Microsoft 365.

For a low spec PC:

image.png.846b57a08060db782f9c450f4989cfca.png

That comes about to: ~ £312/YR/User

A physical PC with better specs £205:

image.png.e2be25a7cc0a154bd80dfaf63d5865df.png

https://www.amazon.com/Beelink-Processor-Windows-Computer-Business/dp/B09H5QXS6K?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1.

Why cant someone just install remote management software on it, I bet I could get a 50 Year old to set up the remote software from a youtube video and only take 1/2 a day max.

This PC could probbably last for 5-6 Years untill it becomes slow and unusable.

The only case where I see Windows 365 being cost effective and a viable choice is if someone is living in a remote area where PC parts are not easily accessable, you could counter my arguement by saying this is not scaleable, however a business could directly contact a PC manufacturer and place a bulk order with the remote software aleardy flashed into storage with preset settings.

Im just confused why anyone would want this service even if they are a business or indiviuals

The other tiers dont provide more value FYI

image.png.7a13403e70d13652a3baa36da05ef242.png

You can also use VS inc Blend and its other "Branches" on a Dual Core cpu w/ 8GB of ram, moreover unless you are doing UI work you can just use VSC which is lightweight and more customisable

No one knows 😞

NobodyKnowsJamesPumphreyGIF.gif

11 minutes ago, lounge-user said:

A physical PC with better specs

This is a flawed comparison, if you're using this you already have a physical pc. The idea with this type of service is that you can access your instance from other machines. If you want to compare prices you should do it with a competing VPS service like Amazon AWS.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

This is a flawed comparison, if you're using this you already have a physical pc. The idea with this type of service is that you can access your instance from other machines. If you want to compare prices you should do it with a competing VPS service like Amazon AWS.

But remote software can archive that, anyways something like linode would be a lot cheaper

2 minutes ago, lounge-user said:

But remote software can archive that

What do you mean? A VPS isn't the same as a cloud storage service.

3 minutes ago, lounge-user said:

linode would be a lot cheaper

Not really, the base tier is marginally cheaper for a machine with lower storage capacity.

https://www.linode.com/pricing/

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

4 minutes ago, Sauron said:

What do you mean? A VPS isn't the same as a cloud storage service.

I mean something like "Proxmox" but for windows, it can control & "Enter"/ Use multiple pc's on the same network, or you can configure it for WAN

Ok I think im missing the point of Windows 365 as I can gather from the responses, Im still confused as their is WAN Remote software for PCs, which allows you to use said PCs via streaming it to other devices, like 356

25 minutes ago, lounge-user said:

I mean something like "Proxmox" but for windows, it can control & "Enter"/ Use multiple pc's on the same network, or you can configure it for WAN

...yeah but then you need to maintain your own server with your own internet connection... if you need something to be up 24/7 then you need to pay someone to tend to it, have backups, fallback machines and so on. it's not any cheaper, I assure you.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

36 minutes ago, Sauron said:

The idea with this type of service is that you can access your instance from other machines.

but the point is, the "other machine" would very likely be more powerful than this, so whats the point?

I honestly don't even see in which scenario Windows 365 would be advantageous over simply having a cheap laptop

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Just now, poochyena said:

but the point is, the "other machine" would very likely be more powerful than this, so whats the point?

aside from the ability to host a service with none of the headaches attached to server maintenance, you might require access to it from machines that are not your own.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

40 minutes ago, lounge-user said:

But remote software can archive that, anyways something like linode would be a lot cheaper

You have to say it like you're orgasming, the way Dawid does.

Li-NOOOOODE!

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

1 minute ago, Middcore said:

You have to say it like you're orgasming, the way Dawid does.

Li-NOOOOODE!

image.png.e685244deadb65efa2377a6988a32171.png

This is what I get when I search that, look what you did...

19 minutes ago, Sauron said:

aside from the ability to host a service with none of the headaches attached to server maintenance, you might require access to it from machines that are not your own.

What scenario is this more beneficial than cloud storage and a cheap laptop or tablet?

There are people that value their time far more than $27 a month that can come with anything PC related and self maintenance.  I dont have a reason to use this but others do.

EDIT - for some people, you have to understand, its about ease and accessibility and has nothing to do with money.  They have enough to not care about the value - but about the TIME spent maintaining or setting anything up.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Did you really come to the forum, create an account for the sole purpose of bitching about a product that you clearly have no interest in?

I R Confuzed.

I'd say just buy a raspberry pi 4 kit and use libreoffice.

13 minutes ago, tkitch said:

Did you really come to the forum, create an account for the sole purpose of bitching about a product that you clearly have no interest in?

I R Confuzed.

No, I have tried Windows 365, after I tried it, I was confused why anyone would find it worth it. It was when the trials were still availiable

56 minutes ago, poochyena said:

What scenario is this more beneficial than cloud storage and a cheap laptop or tablet?

suppose you need specific software that might not have permission to install on whatever machine you're using (plus installing it would take time you might not have). licensing could also be an obstacle. as for why you'd not use a laptop, multiple people may need to access this, possibly in different physical locations. and again, you may need any one of these things and the ability to host something 24/7.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

4 hours ago, lounge-user said:

No, I have tried Windows 365, after I tried it, I was confused why anyone would find it worth it. It was when the trials were still availiable

This is a product for large business, you are not the intended customer whatsoever.

These are managed installs for companies that want to offload some of their IT and security costs to a third party.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

On 1/10/2022 at 6:29 AM, lounge-user said:

The only case where I see Windows 365 being cost effective and a viable choice is if someone is living in a remote area where PC parts are not easily accessable, you could counter my arguement by saying this is not scaleable, however a business could directly contact a PC manufacturer and place a bulk order with the remote software aleardy flashed into storage with preset settings.

So there are a couple of things you've overlooked here: support/SLA's & scalability.

Microsoft have openly admitted, Windows 365 for Business is designed to offer an alternative for small business who might have traditionally gone to their local brick & mortar retailer to purchase to instead purchase a subscription. From MS' perspective, instead of making a % via Windows licensing on day 1, they make an ongoing margin from the subscription every month. However, the value for the business here is that the service is SLA backed, meaning there is financial incentive for Microsoft to ensure stability as well as the fact that it can easily scale.

Scalability is actually a really big issue for small business: say you have 5 staff, you want to onboard a 6th or 7th for a few months on a temporary basis. Instead of having to purchase hardware, the business can simply purchase a subscription and allow the user to access it via their own laptop (not perfect but it's small business). Scalability also means that if you find the 'device' too slow, then it's just a licensing upgrade to change. Compare that with most devices: I've seen my fair share of small business setups and normally it's consumer grade laptops or basic business ones: typically poor spec with limited hardware upgrade paths.

On 1/10/2022 at 12:58 PM, Roswell said:

This is a product for large business, you are not the intended customer whatsoever.

Not really - in fact I would struggle to recommend it into an enterprise, even with the enterprise SKU's - this is also what a lot of other MS partners are finding. The business SKU's make sense for small business in certain circumstances but I cannot see this being used by enterprise. The reason being, it's a very similar product to Azure Virtual Desktop (formerly Windows Virtual Desktop), however where AVD is a PaaS solution, Windows 365 is certainly more of a SaaS solution: basically turnkey virtual computers.

This has implications for both cost and control: where Windows 365 is fixed cost per user, AVD is based on consumption making it significantly cheaper for larger cyclical workloads (e.g. Monday to Friday, 8-5) as you can scale based on required compute power. Similarly, as Microsoft take 'ownership' of more areas of the solution, enterprise IT teams have limited capability as far as custom requirements, troubleshooting capabilities and more. This is already a known issue for AVD (where the session broker is managed by MS meaning it's very difficult to troubleshoot dropouts). 

This is an Enterprise grade VDI offering, it is priced to compete with a company who's alterative is settings up an in house ESXi cluster that could easily cost $1,000,000.

Even for a small business, this is affordable considering you are replacing the cost of IT support (assuming your staff is non-technical), the price really only looks bad when considering it for home use.