200mm intake fan upgrade for a Core V21 case

thewelshbrummie

Rather than continue a 2 year old thread on a related (but not the same) topic here's a new thread.

I'm thinking about replacing the stock 200mm fan in the front of my Core V21 case. Temps are fine but if there's any improvement to be had by replacing it with extra cooling performance and/or noise reduction, then I'm interested.

This 200mm fan from Noctua looks promising but I'm open to other options. @kol @TetraSky , both of you discussed using the non-chromax version of this fan in the old thread I found, is there any improvement on switching out the stock fan for one of these?

I'm open to any other suggestions, including sticking with the stock fan.

Thoughts welcome.

US Gaming Rig (April 2021): Win 11Pro/10 Pro, Thermaltake Core V21, Intel Core i7 10700K with XMP2/MCE enabled, 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 @3,600MHz, Asus Z490-G (Wi-Fi), SK Hynix nvme SSDs (1x 2TB P41, 1x 500GB P31) SSDs, 1x WD 4TB SATA SSD, 1x16TB Seagate HDD, Asus Dual RTX 3060 V2 OC, Seasonic Focus PX-750, LG 27GN800-B monitor. Logitech Z533 speakers, Xbox Stereo & Wireless headsets, Logitech G213 keyboard, G703 mouse with Powerplay

UK HTPC #2 (April 2022) Win 11 Pro, Silverstone ML08, (with SST-FPS01 front panel adapter), Intel Core i5 10400, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3,600MHz, Asus B560-I, SK Hynix P31 (500GB) nvme boot SSD, 1x 5TB Seagate 2.5" HDD, Drobo S with 5x4TB HDDs, Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Silverstone SST-SX500-LG v2.1 SFX PSU, LG 42LW550T TV. Philips HTL5120 soundbar, Logitech K400.

US HTPC (planning 2024): Win 11 Pro, Streacom DB4, Intel Core i5 13600T, RAM TBC (32GB), AsRock Z690-itx/ax, SK Hynix P41 Platinum 1TB, Streacom ZF240 PSU, LG TV, Logitech K400.

US NAS (planning): tbc

UK Gaming Rig #2 (May 2013, offline 2020): Win 10 Pro/Win 8.1 Pro with MCE, Antec 1200 v3, Intel Core i5 4670K @4.2GHz, 4x4GB Corsair DDR3 @1,600MHz, Asus Z87-DELUXE/Dual, Samsung 840 Evo 1TB boot SSD, 1TB & 500GB sata m.2 SSDs (and 6 HDDs for 28TB total in a Storage Space), no dGPU, Seasonic SS-660XP2, Dell U2410 monitor. Dell AY511 soundbar, Sennheiser HD205, Saitek Eclipse II keyboard, Roccat Kone XTD mouse.

UK Gaming Rig #1 (Feb 2008, last rebuilt 2013, offline 2020): Win 7 Ultimate (64bit)/Win Vista Ultimate (32bit)/Win XP Pro (32bit), Coolermaster Elite 335U, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @3.6GHz, 4x2GB Corsair DDR3 @1,600MHz, Asus P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi-Ap@n, 2x 1TB & 2x 500GB 2.5" HDDs (1 for each OS & 1 for Win7 data), NVidia GTX 750, CoolerMaster Real Power M620 PSU, shared I/O with gaming rig #2 via KVM.

UK HTPC #1 (June 2010, rebuilt 2012/13, offline 2022) Win 7 Home Premium, Antec Fusion Black, Intel Core i3 3220T, 4x2GB OCZ DDR3 @1,600MHz, Gigabyte H77M-D3H, OCZ Agility3 120GB boot SSD, 1x1TB 2.5" HDD, Blackgold 3620 TV Tuner, Seasonic SS-400FL2 Fanless PSU, Logitech MX Air, Origen RC197.

Laptop: 2015 HP Spectre x360, i7 6500U, 8GB Ram, 512GB m.2 Sata SSD.

Tablet: Surface Go 128GB/8GB.

Mini PC: Intel Compute Stick (m3)

10 hours ago, thewelshbrummie said:

This 200mm fan from Noctua looks promising but I'm open to other options. @kol @TetraSky , both of you discussed using the non-chromax version of this fan in the old thread I found, is there any improvement on switching out the stock fan for one of these?

The noctua fans are quiet for sure.

But I don't actually know if it's better than the stock fan. Stock fans according to spec is 800rpm, 13dBA. Noctua's A20 is 800rpm, 18,1 dBA.

If we go purely by these specs, the stock fan sounds better. But thermaltake doesn't provide airflow, static pressure and what not for that fan. It would be up to you to determine if it's worth it. Can you even hear the front fan while it's running?

I can't even hear my PC at all with my all Noctua build (even the GPU has Noctua fans strapped onto it after the stock fans failed).

As for temperatures, it really depends on what you have and what your priorities are. My priority was for quiet, not high performance. So fans run at very low speed to begin with.

The chromax and regular version of the A20 are basically the same. Same airflow, same noise, same everything.

I just went with the cheapest option, which is what I already had from a previous built because I had upgraded the fan on it just a few months prior to buying a new PC.
That said, I essentially frosted my case's window(put it on the top panel) by sanding it a bit and I put a bunch of school books and stuff on top of the case, so I don't even see my fans anyway. As such the colors didn't matter to me all that much.

Spoiler

20220107_104245.jpg.e47916286d39484905c620239c3a0232.jpg

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

the  noctua wont bolt on i dont think so you will need a way of attaching it.  imo unless there a reason to upgrade i wouldn't bother.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

6 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

the  noctua wont bolt on i dont think so you will need a way of attaching it. 

The Noctua 200mm will bolt on anything, it has 3 sets of mounting holes. Only the 30mm fatness might be an issue. The Silverstone 180mm above also bolts on np as it has 2 sets of holes (but is also 32mm fat).

Noctua even tested a bunch of cases, and V21 is of course on the list. Why do I even get surprised anymore by how thorough, detailed, and consumer-oriented Noctua is, They're better at support stuff than all other companies in the world combined (sans Be Quiet!).

https://noctua.at/en/nf-a20-pwm/ccomp

5 hours ago, Dogzilla07 said:

The Noctua 200mm will bolt on anything, it has 3 sets of mounting holes. Only the 30mm fatness might be an issue. The Silverstone 180mm above also bolts on np as it has 2 sets of holes (but is also 32mm fat).

Noctua even tested a bunch of cases, and V21 is of course on the list. Why do I even get surprised anymore by how thorough, detailed, and consumer-oriented Noctua is, They're better at support stuff than all other companies in the world combined (sans Be Quiet!).

https://noctua.at/en/nf-a20-pwm/ccomp

oh gn made a video about about 200mm fans not being able to mount to anything? i no the 200mm rads it wont mount to thows...

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

@thrasher_565I apologize If I misunderstood/misinterpreted, all I wanted was to clarify, that going by mounting holes, Noctua is the most compatible 200mm, and then followed by Silverstone 180mm. Reason I mentioned these two is these are the only 180-200mm fans worth upgrading too (with the Fractal Design 180mm as well).

However They are all >30mm so depth wise compatibility is iffy. And that upgrading to 180-230mm fans other than these 3 is not worth it.

10 hours ago, Dogzilla07 said:

@thrasher_565I apologize If I misunderstood/misinterpreted, all I wanted was to clarify, that going by mounting holes, Noctua is the most compatible 200mm, and then followed by Silverstone 180mm. Reason I mentioned these two is these are the only 180-200mm fans worth upgrading too (with the Fractal Design 180mm as well).

However They are all >30mm so depth wise compatibility is iffy. And that upgrading to 180-230mm fans other than these 3 is not worth it.

ya np i didn't no my self thx for the info.that gn video must be miss leading...

There's an explanation how to make rotate it, and what holes on the fan, and slits (on the case) to use to fit it, and give how tight a fit this already is, I highly doubt the front panel would close with the Silverstone 184i (as it is 2mm thicker, which is really a shame).

• 4 months later...

There is good feedback in this thread but does anyone know how well the 200mm Thermaltake front fan works? 

I have 4x 140mm be quiet! Pure Wings 2 in my old NZXT H500 case right now, the heat from the GPU is killing everything in there. Not enough airflow.

So I got my hands on this old Thermaltake Core V21, but don't know if the front 200mm fan is good or not. 

The be quite does 61,2 CFM at RPM: 1000. 

Thanks

3 hours ago, Robert Nyhus said:

200mm Thermaltake front fan works

Not very good 🙂, a 140mm within top 3 in the world would do much beter, so would a 120mm within top 3 in the world.

And even not best of the best 140mm fans will match or beat the 200mm

3 hours ago, Dogzilla07 said:

Not very good 🙂, a 140mm within top 3 in the world would do much beter, so would a 120mm within top 3 in the world.

And even not best of the best 140mm fans will beat match or beat the 200mm

Thanks, I guess Ill swap the 200mm with 2x 140mm be quiet! Pure Wings 2. 

4 minutes ago, Robert Nyhus said:

2x 140mm be quiet! Pure Wings 2. 

Yeah, that would work great