The PC That Opens Like THIS - Azza Cast

ColinLTT

The Azza Cast doesn’t need no stinkin side panel screws – instead it opts for a rather unconventional hinged lid design that could lead to excellent GPU thermal performance!

2 minutes ago, ColinLTT said:

rather unconventional hinged lid design

I'm continually amazed how stagnant PC cases are. They seem to be stuck in the convention "beige box" except they only add some better airflow and RGB EVERYTHING and call it an improvement.

This hinged lid has been a long time in coming. 

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Comments are suggesting the reason the temps are so high is because he forgot to apply thermal paste...He didn't forget, right?

That 90° is rather brushed off, no?  I'm no expert like Linus but I've built 2 computers on 5800X with just Be Quiet Air Coolers and neither passed 80 when stressed (and I'm pretty sure it was really 70 max).  I would think an AIO shouldn't be that much worse...

(Did he forget the thermal paste or the plastic again? 😛 )

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

I'm continually amazed how stagnant PC cases are. They seem to be stuck in the convention "beige box" except they only add some better airflow and RGB EVERYTHING and call it an improvement.

This hinged lid has been a long time in coming. 

I agree but I've come to just like practical, 'out of the box' cases tend to have something annoying.

I really ended up liking the Be Quiet 802.  Looks nice, panels are changeable, the simple mechanism for releasing the side panels is AMAZING.*

In my case the PC ended up being on left of my desk, so the whole middle was reversible and I have a nice upside down build in it that I can actually see.

*To be clear its simple, but when I actually want to open it, its AMAZING. It has a simple button on the back that releases the panel.

8 minutes ago, donquist said:

Comments are suggesting the reason the temps are so high is because he forgot to apply thermal paste...He didn't forget, right?

we used the stock applied thermal paste

13 minutes ago, ColinLTT said:

we used the stock applied thermal paste

except you didn't

6 hours ago, muff said:

except you didn't

2 hours ago, marcgii said:

In case you missed it, Colin did confirm in the YT comments thermal pasted didn't get applied.

Actually now the YouTube comment is "EDIT: We have found footage showing thermal paste WAS applied during the shoot.... investigating now. -CW", i.e. Linus applied but at some point it went missing so theyre investigating...  I'm guessing Linus got distracted and they it got wiped off so as not to get dirty.  (The build was still assembled and Colin verified it was missing now).

That said Colin did already run another test "Followup testing with a liberal dousing of NT-H2 and Prime95 showed a 90.6deg @ 4.4Ghz with the front panel ON, with a drop to 85.5 degrees and a slight bump to 4.48GHz with the front panel OFF. This confirms that the front panel does limit cooling performance somewhat."

@ColinLTT please update us here when investigation is complete (and probably add a pinned Youtube comment)

You know every now and then Mythbusters would do an episode where they revisited myths from previous seasons where fans had issues with their methodology or ways to better test it. It'd be cool to see LTT do a revisit episode on things like this. 

And 90°C is a thermal throttling limit for a 5800X, so it staying there no matter what is normal given it has no thermal transfer capability without thermal paste. 5800X are quite hot tho because the CCX complex is tiny and it just has a single one. 5900X has 50% more cores and 100% more surface area because it uses 12 cores split between two 16 core CCX complexes. It's why 5800X are hotter. Still not unbearably hot. Mine goes to 88°C under R23 and it's boosting to almost 4.5 GHz on all cores. Under all other conditions it's way cooler even with just a 240 rad.

15 hours ago, swimtome said:

Actually now the YouTube comment is "EDIT: We have found footage showing thermal paste WAS applied during the shoot.... investigating now. -CW", i.e. Linus applied but at some point it went missing so theyre investigating...  I'm guessing Linus got distracted and they it got wiped off so as not to get dirty.  (The build was still assembled and Colin verified it was missing now).

That said Colin did already run another test "Followup testing with a liberal dousing of NT-H2 and Prime95 showed a 90.6deg @ 4.4Ghz with the front panel ON, with a drop to 85.5 degrees and a slight bump to 4.48GHz with the front panel OFF. This confirms that the front panel does limit cooling performance somewhat."

@ColinLTT please update us here when investigation is complete (and probably add a pinned Youtube comment)

of course, will do. Still figuring it out. 

• 6 months later...

I have a 1151 socket with the same aio water cooler from corsair I get about °90 under load and °35 at idle

4 hours ago, rayminator2022 said:

I have a 1151 socket with the same aio water cooler from corsair I get about °90 under load and °35 at idle

Is that on stock speeds? What cpu? 9900k? If not may be a little high depending on ambient temperature.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

On 7/13/2022 at 5:47 AM, DoctorNick said:

Is that on stock speeds? What cpu? 9900k? If not may be a little high depending on ambient temperature.

this what I have and no over clocking

Intel Core i9-9900K Desktop Processor 8 Cores 16 threads up to 5.0GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F Gaming LGA 1151 (300 Series)
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 16G
ASUS GeForce RTX 2060 Overclocked 6G GDDR6 Dual-Fan EVO Edition (Planning to upgrade to 3080 or 4080)
CORSAIR RMx Series RM1000X 1000W 80 PLUS GOLD

Thermaltake Core P3 TG Black ATX Open Frame

CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX
Windows 11 pro 64bit

just bought these Corsair LL Series CO-9050092-WW LL120 RGB to replace the stock fans

35-181-168-01.thumb.jpg.afa18bf1226ca42429b9e75e376bdd48.jpg