What happens when you try to call 911 on an Apple watch (non-cellular) when the Iphone is not present?

What happens when you try to call 911 on an Apple watch (non-cellular) when the Iphone is not present? (no Wifi is available)

If its the non-cellular then absolutely nothing will happen. What exactly do you think it will connect to?

It can still connect to a known wifi network if you have wifi calling enabled. But if theres no wifi then you get nothing.

If a tree falls in the woods and no one is there to hear it did it make a noise?

Same answer as the apple watch.

34 minutes ago, 38034580 said:

What happens when you try to call 911 on an Apple watch (non-cellular) when the Iphone is not present? (no Wifi is available)

I just want to clarify the Apple Watch CAN connect to wifi on its own without any iphone present. It just has to be a previously saved wifi network. Emergency calls will still work as long as you have wifi calling enabled.

55 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

If its the non-cellular then absolutely nothing will happen. What exactly do you think it will connect to?

It can still connect to a known wifi network if you have wifi calling enabled. But if theres no wifi then you get nothing.

What error message is shown? Will the apple watch just lock itslef>

31 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

I just want to clarify the Apple Watch CAN connect to wifi on its own without any iphone present. It just has to be a previously saved wifi network. Emergency calls will still work as long as you have wifi calling enabled.

Wi-fi calling is NOT setup in this situation.

2 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

I don't think apple watches have SIM cards right? Nothing, then. 

They do have cellular connected models. But in this case the OP only has a WIFi model. 

2 hours ago, 38034580 said:

Nothing. If no cellular connection is established or no WiFI connection then its cant call out. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

5 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Nothing. If no cellular connection is established or no WiFI connection then its cant call out. 

Will it try to use another nearby iphone, like the homepod? If not, what error will show? Will the device just lock itself and nothing else?

Just now, 38034580 said:

Will it try to use another nearby iphone, like the homepod? If not, what error will show? Will the device just lock itself and nothing else?

I dont have an Apple Watch. But generally devices dont automatically pair to an unknown device. So, I doubt it will use another iPhone. Especially with calls, as caller data and GPS data is sent from the phone to 911. I would expect it would say it cant make the call. I mean what happens when you pull out your SIM card in your phone and try to call? Its pretty much the same concept. Even if the watch was able to connect to another iPhone without pairing, I would imagine that would have to be enable on the device in question. Its kinda like the Exposure Notifications that are suppose to alert you if you come across someone sick. That has to be enabled. 

21 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I dont have an Apple Watch. But generally devices dont automatically pair to an unknown device. So, I doubt it will use another iPhone. Especially with calls, as caller data and GPS data is sent from the phone to 911. I would expect it would say it cant make the call. I mean what happens when you pull out your SIM card in your phone and try to call? Its pretty much the same concept. Even if the watch was able to connect to another iPhone without pairing, I would imagine that would have to be enable on the device in question. Its kinda like the Exposure Notifications that are suppose to alert you if you come across someone sick. That has to be enabled. 

Phones without SIM can call 911.

5 minutes ago, 38034580 said:

Phones without SIM can call 911.

Ok bad example. But how the hell do you expect a device that only connects to WiFI to connect to Cellular data? Your watch doesnt have cellular data radios. If your not connecting to WiFi then you have NO network connection. No network connection equals no 911. Simple. If you want your watch to call 911 without a phone or WIFi present, then you should have bought the cellular data model. 

OP, can we ask what your purpose is in asking this question? You seem really concerned about it. Maybe if you explained we could help more.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

3 hours ago, EricX2 said:

If a tree falls in the woods and no one is there to hear it did it make a noise?

Same answer as the apple watch.

The answer is a tree falling moves air, as does its impact with the ground. Sound is moving air. So yes, it makes a sound. But, that's not scientifically equivalent to how an Apple watch works. So....

3 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Ok bad example. But how the hell do you expect a device that only connects to WiFI to connect to Cellular data? Your watch doesnt have cellular data radios. If your not connecting to WiFi then you have NO network connection. No network connection equals no 911. Simple. If you want your watch to call 911 without a phone or WIFi present, then you should have bought the cellular data model. 

To clarify on that topic of a SIM-less phone able to make 911 calls: the cell phone has a transceiver that can connect to a cell network all on its own. An Apple watch uses a phone as its proxy to connect to the cell network. It doesn't and can't make the call itself, without having its own cellular transceiver, in the way a SIM-less phone can. Making a phone call, though, is done via another layer beyond the cell network, though. Cellular calls don't bounce from tower to tower, they go tower to ground, and become a regular phone call, just like an old fashioned landline. When a call has to go to a cell phone, it has to be routed to the tower that the cell phone is connected to. Now, that wifi calling mentioned before works in a similar proxy fashion as the cell calls to the landline network, they just start from a wifi connection to the internet. So yes, if an Apple Watch can make a wifi call, it theoretically should also be able to make a 911 call all by itself, as long as it has a wifi connection.

1 minute ago, Euchre said:

It doesn't and can't make the call itself,

The one with the Cellular radio can in fact make calls with out a phone being present. Something can be said about the Samsung smart watches as well. Thats one of the reasons to buy the cellular model. 

2 minutes ago, Euchre said:

Cellular calls don't bounce from tower to tower,

If your on the move they do. Once your about the leave the range of one tower your call is transferred to the next. 

I think you also missed the point of the post. The OP asked if they can call 911 without a phone and without WIFI on a non cellular Apple Watch. The answer is NO. Because there is NO network connection. 

Well I'm assuming nothing will happen. No SIM and Wi-Fi calling is disabled then, yeah, nothing will happen.

47 minutes ago, Middcore said:

OP, can we ask what your purpose is in asking this question? You seem really concerned about it. Maybe if you explained we could help more.

Ensure that 911 is not accidentally dialed.

4 hours ago, 38034580 said:

Ensure that 911 is not accidentally dialed.

This is why lock screens and verification exist. On my Android phone, you need two touches to get to dial screen, get correct number and touch dial icon. So even if something in my pocket was able to imitate touch (wet screen for example), it would take a small miracle.

Try and see how many steps it takes for you to get call going out. As for error message, most likely its just saying "no network available" or something like that. Could be that it hard-locks if you get error too many times (requires more than regular unlock method).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

"Ensure that 911 is not accidentally dialed."

The emergency SOS feature (which is what I assume you're talking about, since it would be very unlikely you could have it accidentally dialed) has a very loud countdown, as shown here:

It's pretty hard to miss it, so I don't think it's something to be worried about

🙂

6 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

This is why lock screens and verification exist. On my Android phone, you need two touches to get to dial screen, get correct number and touch dial icon. So even if something in my pocket was able to imitate touch (wet screen for example), it would take a small miracle.

Try and see how many steps it takes for you to get call going out. As for error message, most likely its just saying "no network available" or something like that. Could be that it hard-locks if you get error too many times (requires more than regular unlock method).

You just hold the power button to call 911.

On 12/28/2021 at 1:20 PM, duncannah said:

"Ensure that 911 is not accidentally dialed."

The emergency SOS feature (which is what I assume you're talking about, since it would be very unlikely you could have it accidentally dialed) has a very loud countdown, as shown here:

It's pretty hard to miss it, so I don't think it's something to be worried about

Made me shit myself in the car the other day that did