Rank percentile on the forum

TheBean

as far as I know, the percentile each profile shows does not get more accurate than 1%. and as far as I can tell, everyone in enthusiast or above is already top 1%. so, once people reach top 1, can it slowly go into things like top 0.5, top 0.1, top 0.01 etc?

Edit: once the persons rank is <1000 (they are in the top 1000 users) would you switch to just saying top xxxx? can we also know how many users are on the forum (with at least 2 posts to prevent counting fake accounts?)

Edited by TheBean

Does this matter? I personally dislike whole rank system, and anything that can further highlight some odd brackets like top 1% is just making things worse. Does it really matter whether you are top 1% or top 0.5%? Or just top 5%? Or top anything? Isn't that just another way to grow epeen?

Full disclaimer, I don't know exactly how current rank is calculated. I'm shy 7k points from top rank. And I did care about that until I got to 10k posts. That was before becoming moderator. Haven't cared about any ranks, points or such stats after that.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Having a system that shows you on what % you are compared to all would encourage post farming and farming of XP to achieve it, which is NOT how the system is designed or to be used. I have to agree with @LogicalDrm that I am not a fan of ranking systems either as it encourages this type of behavior/attitude. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

26 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Having a system that shows you on what % you are compared to all would encourage post farming and farming of XP to achieve it, which is NOT how the system is designed or to be used. I have to agree with @LogicalDrm that I am not a fan of ranking systems either as it encourages this type of behavior/attitude. 

I dislike the system as well,it kinda creates an inequality between forum members,and may give a sense of elitism to some members.

It labels people....

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

that was not really my objective.

the reason I brought it up was basically why have it in the first place if half of the ranks have the same percentile? it only differentiates people in the lower half of the ranks. I did not want to add it because of elitism, it just doesn't feel useful once you reach enthusiast

I dont know how well my point comes across because im bad at explaining things

1 hour ago, TheBean said:

it just doesn't feel useful once you reach enthusiast

"Useful"? Also, to reiterate my question on why does it matter, how do you use the current knowledge or would use the knowledge if it was added?

The whole thing seems rather pointless, and I would vote on removing such completely. If all "Newbies" are in top 38%, that must be calculated incorrectly in first place.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

i really dont like the rating system, i myself am stupid, but i write a lot of posts, so while i get the "proficient" badge im quite dumb compared to others with lower badges that have a life. 

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

10 minutes ago, adarw said:

i really dont like the rating system, i myself am stupid, but i write a lot of posts, so while i get the "proficient" badge im quite dumb compared to others with lower badges that have a life. 

I get you,there could be a new user that just registered to the forums,but he is way more knowledgeable than me,

Since the ranking system labels him as a newbie and me as Experienced - It may fool people into thinking that i know more than him,and that's wrong.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

1 minute ago, Vishera said:

I get you,there could be a new user that just registered to the forums,but he is way more knowledgeable than me,

Since the ranking system labels him as a newbie and me as Experienced - It may fool people into thinking that i know more than him,and that's wrong.

exactly what im trying to say but it doenst even have to be a new user could be someone with much less posts.

Edited by adarw

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

7 hours ago, Vishera said:

I dislike the system as well,it kinda creates an inequality between forum members,and may give a sense of elitism to some members.

It labels people....

in fairness, if you want to completely remove "elitism," you would also have to remove the message counter entirely

░█▀▀█ ▒█░░░ ▒█▀▀▄ ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█▀▀█   ▒█░░░ ░█▀▀█ ▒█░▄▀ ▒█▀▀▀ 
▒█▄▄█ ▒█░░░ ▒█░▒█ ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█▄▄▀   ▒█░░░ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▀▄░ ▒█▀▀▀ 
▒█░▒█ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▄▄▀ ▒█▄▄▄ ▒█░▒█   ▒█▄▄█ ▒█░▒█ ▒█░▒█ ▒█▄▄▄

13 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

"Useful"? Also, to reiterate my question on why does it matter, how do you use the current knowledge or would use the knowledge if it was added?

The whole thing seems rather pointless, and I would vote on removing such completely. If all "Newbies" are in top 38%, that must be calculated incorrectly in first place.

exactly my point that I was trying to make but I guess I didnt explain well enough. 

I think it should either be more precise/accurate (because its current state doesnt work well to account for such large number of users)

or

remove it entirely because we dont actually need it in the 1st place

5 hours ago, TheBean said:

exactly my point that I was trying to make but I guess I didnt explain well enough. 

I think it should either be more precise/accurate (because its current state doesnt work well to account for such large number of users)

or

remove it entirely because we dont actually need it in the 1st place

You still haven't explained how you would use this information...

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, LogicalDrm said:

You still haven't explained how you would use this information...

I wouldnt use it for anything. Its just not doing anything right now so either remove it or make it more accurate? idrk how else to explain

2 hours ago, TheBean said:

I wouldnt use it for anything. Its just not doing anything right now so either remove it or make it more accurate? idrk how else to explain

So essentially remove it completely since you have no idea how you would use the information if it was accurate.

@AJJaxNet this should be fairly easy to get done...

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 12/15/2021 at 8:45 AM, Vishera said:

It labels people....

sounds like what a <6k posts peasant would say

/s

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

The percentile in the rank progress page isn't intended to do anything.

Points for rank are mostly based on post count so if you want to know who is higher than who just go by post count. You need around 300 posts to be in the top 1%. There really isn't anything to gain from showing top 0.1% and so on but if you're really interested the top 0.1% would be the top 500 or so posters which would be people with around 3,500 or more posts.

The only way to see it is if you go to someone's profile and go to their rank progress page and it's just a small comment above their rank badges. You will really only see it if you look for it. It's there for people who are interested and anyone who isn't interested doesn't ever have to worry about it. I don't really see any point in removing it.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

9 hours ago, TheBean said:

Its just not doing anything right now so either remove it or make it more accurate?

I agree with this. It's useless as it is, so either remove it or make it more accurate.

I lean heavily toward removing it.

BabyBlu (Primary): 

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ up to 5.3GHz, 5.0GHz all-core, delidded
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 @ 4000MHz 16-18-18-34
  • GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Sea Hawk EK X, 2070MHz core, 8000MHz mem
  • Case: Phanteks Evolv X
  • Storage: XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB, 3x ADATASU800 1TB (RAID 0), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
  • PSU: Corsair HX1000i
  • Display: MSI MPG341CQR 34" 3440x1440 144Hz Freesync, Dell S2417DG 24" 2560x1440 165Hz Gsync
  • Cooling: Custom water loop (CPU & GPU), Radiators: 1x140mm(Back), 1x280mm(Top), 1x420mm(Front)
  • Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB (Cherry MX Brown)
  • Mouse: MasterMouse MM710
  • Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB

Roxanne (Wife Build):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ up to 5.0GHz, 4.8Ghz all-core, relidded w/ LM
  • Motherboard: Asus Z97A
  • RAM: G.Skill Sniper 4x8GB DDR3-2400 @ 10-12-12-24
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 w/ LM
  • Case: Corsair Vengeance C70, w/ Custom Side-Panel Window
  • Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Silicon Power A80 2TB NVME
  • PSU: Corsair AX760
  • Display: Samsung C27JG56 27" 2560x1440 144Hz Freesync
  • Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB
  • Keyboard: GMMK TKL(Kailh Box White)
  • Mouse: Glorious Model O-
  • Headset: SteelSeries Arctis 7

BigBox (HTPC):

• CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3600 @ 3600MHz 14-14-14-28
  • GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X Plus OC, de-shrouded, LM TIM, replaced mem therm pads
  • Case: Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage: SP A80 1TB, WD Black SN770 2TB
  • PSU: Corsair SF600 Gold w/ NF-A9x14
  • Display: Samsung QN90A 65" (QLED, 4K, 120Hz, HDR, VRR)
  • Cooling: Thermalright AXP-100 Copper w/ NF-A12x15
  • Keyboard/Mouse: Rii i4
  • Controllers: 4X Xbox One & 2X N64 (with USB)
  • Sound: Denon AVR S760H with 5.1.2 Atmos setup.

Harmonic (NAS/Game/Plex/Other Server):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 6700
  • Motherboard: ASRock FATAL1TY H270M
  • RAM: 64GB DDR4-2133
  • GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530
  • Case: Fractal Design Define 7
  • HDD: 3X Seagate Exos X16 14TB in RAID 5
  • SSD: Inland Premium 512GB NVME, Sabrent 1TB NVME
  • Optical: BDXL WH14NS40 flashed to WH16NS60
  • PSU: Corsair CX450
  • Display: None
  • Cooling: Noctua NH-U14S
  • Keyboard/Mouse: None

NAS:

• Synology DS216J
  • 2x8TB WD Red NAS HDDs in RAID 1. 8TB usable space

On 12/16/2021 at 3:37 AM, Sauron said:

sounds like what a <6k posts peasant would say

/s

wait until they get 6k posts, when if they get there, I'm sure their opinion would change a little bit, it's just how forumer brains typically work

something around the lines of, "screw thy friend, screw thee; go to hell, or kneel before me!!!"

░█▀▀█ ▒█░░░ ▒█▀▀▄ ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█▀▀█   ▒█░░░ ░█▀▀█ ▒█░▄▀ ▒█▀▀▀ 
▒█▄▄█ ▒█░░░ ▒█░▒█ ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█▄▄▀   ▒█░░░ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▀▄░ ▒█▀▀▀ 
▒█░▒█ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▄▄▀ ▒█▄▄▄ ▒█░▒█   ▒█▄▄█ ▒█░▒█ ▒█░▒█ ▒█▄▄▄

5 hours ago, Alder Lake said:

something around the lines of, "screw thy friend, screw thee; go to hell, or kneel before me!!!"

As a member of the >6k posts club I press Y to disagree with this statement

Whether I should be in the >6k posts club is a good question, and the answer is probably most likely definitely no.

My viewpoint on it now is it's just a statistic that no one has to care about. I personally don't like the Community Answers value as it depends on other people marking your answer as the solution - I'd say that 2/3 to 3/4 of the topics I've answered the OP didn't mark my question as the solution.

Do I care? No. Their problem was solved and that's what matters. Not numbers that go up based on what you do here (like rep count), the questions you answer, the discussions you have, the friends you make, and the really funny topics you archive whenever you need a good laugh.

elephants

1 minute ago, FakeKGB said:

Whether I should be in the >6k posts club is a good question, and the answer is probably most likely definitely no.

Depends on if the post is done by an Elephant, or Putin.

2 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

My viewpoint on it now is it's just a statistic that no one has to care about. I personally don't like the Community Answers value as it depends on other people marking your answer as the solution - I'd say that 2/3 to 3/4 of the topics I've answered the OP didn't mark my question as the solution.

I almost think we'd be better off not having post count or CA as a listed statistic on the left. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

8 hours ago, FakeKGB said:

As a member of the >6k posts club I press Y to disagree with this statement

Do I care? No. Their problem was solved and that's what matters. Not numbers that go up based on what you do here (like rep count), the questions you answer, the discussions you have, the friends you make, and the really funny topics you archive whenever you need a good laugh.

The problem with ranks and counters is perception. To be frank, most of the people in the Internet lack critical thinking or are unable to read difference between suggestion and something they should follow. This can be seen with overclocking and build guides by tech-tubers where fans try to follow them to the letter. And it can be seen on forums where rank, post count or any other such statistic is automatically related to knowledge. For some reason, even join date is seen as something of value, while its often quite opposite.

That's why I don't like having ranks shown so visibly, and think that any statistics should be taken with grain of salt and hidden in place where you actually need to go and look for them.

So in that sense, @Spotty

is correct that this statistic is hidden enough. Unlike the counter on mobile menu.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv