should i bother getting 32gb ram

xdenter

Right now I have 16gb 4x4 ram and I was wondering if I should get 32gb 4x8, if this a question depending on how powerful my pc is I have a Ryzen 5 2600X and a Rtx 2060. If theres any other parts you need to know just ask.

Are you running into ram issues? (Are you using the entire 16gb?) if not then I say no.

Why upgrade if you don't need it.

spend it on a whole system upgrade down the line.

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

3 minutes ago, xdenter said:

Right now I have 16gb 4x4 ram and I was wondering if I should get 32gb 4x8, if this a question depending on how powerful my pc is I have a Ryzen 5 2600X and a Rtx 2060. If theres any other parts you need to know just ask.

i don't think it's necessary yet, although i have thought about it too. I'd suggest investing in an m.2 if you dont have one yet.

hi, im renata bliss and am ur freestyle dance teacher

1 minute ago, SignatureSigner said:

Are you running into ram issues? (Are you using the entire 16gb?) if not then I say no.

Why upgrade if you don't need it.

spend it on a whole system upgrade down the line.

I am not but my uncle and my brother need ram they have 8gb and I was willing to give them my ram and I get new ram but I was wondering if I get more just to save money so I don't need to upgrade in the future.

Just now, Seban said:

i don't think it's necessary yet, although i have thought about it too. I'd suggest investing in an m.2 if you dont have one yet.

Makes sense I've been thinking of getting one too.

Just now, xdenter said:

Makes sense I've been thinking of getting one too.

Crucial is always my go-to 10/10, best price/perfomance 

hi, im renata bliss and am ur freestyle dance teacher

No, I have a system with 64gb and one with 16gb

They are exactly the same at performance for everyday use and gaming.

It's user dependent.  32 is worthwhile if you have 30 tabs open on your browser at all times, while having 1 or more games open.

If you're planning on donating the RAM anyways, yeah, upgrade. 

Completely depends on how you use your system. Are you finding your RAM is running out when you use your PC? Then upgrade to 32GB. No? Then don't.

If you want to get your family RAM, then get them gifts of RAM. Black Friday usually has some killer deals.

You can easily pick up 32GB of RAM on eBay for about $75US, sometimes less if you're willing to wait out the auctions.

Don't buy 32GB hoping that you'll need it in the future. That's poor usage of your cash.

25 minutes ago, xdenter said:

I am not but my uncle and my brother need ram they have 8gb and I was willing to give them my ram and I get new ram but I was wondering if I get more just to save money so I don't need to upgrade in the future.

Do they actually need the extra RAM, though? Or do you just think they need it because they don't have 16GB.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

44 minutes ago, xdenter said:

I have 32GB, but the only time I get anywhere near using it all is photo editing. I shoot nikon d850, my RAW files are massive… and doing lots of photo work, it’ll eat up RAM.  Normal day to day use, with likely 50+ chrome tabs open, whatever game launchers, discord, etc etc, 16 is “fine” since I rarely see usage over ~12GB. Your likely fine with 16. But if it makes sense to upgrade since you will be giving others your old stuff, sure. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

3 hours ago, dizmo said:

Completely depends on how you use your system. Are you finding your RAM is running out when you use your PC? Then upgrade to 32GB. No? Then don't.

If you want to get your family RAM, then get them gifts of RAM. Black Friday usually has some killer deals.

You can easily pick up 32GB of RAM on eBay for about $75US, sometimes less if you're willing to wait out the auctions.

Don't buy 32GB hoping that you'll need it in the future. That's poor usage of your cash.

Do they actually need the extra RAM, though? Or do you just think they need it because they don't have 16GB.

They definitely need it if they don't have 16, imho.  But no idea about DDR3/4 and what their setups are.  8GB is like being in prison for windows 10, imho.

3 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

I have 32GB, but the only time I get anywhere near using it all is photo editing. I shoot nikon d850, my RAW files are massive… and doing lots of photo work, it’ll eat up RAM.  Normal day to day use, with likely 50+ chrome tabs open, whatever game launchers, discord, etc etc, 16 is “fine” since I rarely see usage over ~12GB. Your likely fine with 16. But if it makes sense to upgrade since you will be giving others your old stuff, sure. 

Interesting, when I have a fair number of tabs open (usually around 60 over 5 or 6 windows) and start up a game, I'll easily smash against the 16GB barrier.

1 hour ago, IPD said:

They definitely need it if they don't have 16, imho.  But no idea about DDR3/4 and what their setups are.  8GB is like being in prison for windows 10, imho.

As someone who's used 8GB on Win10, it's really not that bad. Depends how you use your computer. As such, you shouldn't use your usage habits to assume what someone else needs. It's not accurate.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I suppose for very light use 8GB might work.  But even on our work PC's with the enormous hog that Tanium is, 12GB is like minimum to keep from constantly dipping into virtual memory.

10 hours ago, xdenter said:

Most have said you don't need 32GB's worth and that's true for what you'd be doing now but if there are some long term plans for the machine, as in several years of use minimum I'd get it.
It's just fact that as time passes more RAM is required to run things, if that wasn't the case we could still run just 8GB's or even 4GB's worth as we did 10 years ago as a standard and it be perfectly fine today but we all know that's not how it is.

I'd only get it if that's the case for the machine once it's passed along to whomever will be using it, aside from that's it's not neccesary - 16GB's will do just fine these days.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

10 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

Same experience here.  In gaming, my system having 12gb of ram has always been fine, but now that i am into creating and mixing music, i need 32gb.

On 11/22/2021 at 6:17 PM, dizmo said:

My uncle uses pretty much most of his ram and same with my brother I checked their PC's to make sure if they actually needed it because im not just gonna give them free ram, they are family but I would only give it free if they need it not if they want it.