Damn, Intel!

34 minutes ago, themrsbusta said:

I disagree Linus conclusion: To me, the 5600X still the king because is a 65w CPU

i5 is 10 bucks more expensive but a 125w/150w CPU needs an more expensive motherboard, more powerful PSU and much more cooling, you probably can't use in Micro ITX without a huge watercooler.

At the end of the day you would paid more on the entire kit than using the Ryzen. To have a little bit more performance, on the spreadsheets...

TDP shows little.

The 5600X and 12600K system load difference is 16W:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyleather/2021/11/04/new-intel-core-i5-12600k-vs-ryzen-5-5600x-which-should-you-buy/?sh=79a7f0031e9a

To each their own, to me 12600K seems much better. 

I edit my posts more often than not

22 minutes ago, themrsbusta said:

>Overclocking 

Right, 40W

Significant, but considering performance uplift, the used power would somewhat be compensated by higher fps.

I edit my posts more often than not

43 minutes ago, themrsbusta said:

At the end of the day you would paid more on the entire kit than using the Ryzen. To have a little bit more performance, on the spreadsheets...

At the end of the day it's important that Intel stays competitive and thus AMD needing to innovate. It was the first time in years that AMD was on top and they instantly raised prices across the board. Same with GPUs: As soon as they don't have to do work to sell stuff, they will stop doing work and just sell stuff.

To me it doesn't really matter if Intel or AMD is the king, as long as they stay competitive with each other and drive innovation. That's what matters.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

In a (German) YT comment under his own 12900K video, Igor from IgorsLab straight out claims that LS and Anthony have been using insufficient mounting pressure on the cooler in their benchmarks. He claims temperatures under 60 degree Celsius for Productivity workloads, which is a huge gap compared to the 90 of LTT. Apparently there have been notices from cooler manufacturers about this mounting pressure issue.

There is also a salty kick in the nuts-comment about LTT being a video production company and not a real benchmarking "lab" but I guess that's just Igor being Igor.

55 minutes ago, themrsbusta said:

I disagree Linus conclusion: To me, the 5600X still the king because is a 65w CPU

i5 is 10 bucks more expensive but a 125w/150w CPU needs an more expensive motherboard, more powerful PSU and much more cooling, you probably can't use in Micro ITX without a huge watercooler.

it's a quite significant gap between the 5600x and the 12600k performance

also if I had to guess, I'd say that if they were both using the same wattage, the 12600k would still perform better

░█▀▀█ ▒█░░░ ▒█▀▀▄ ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█▀▀█   ▒█░░░ ░█▀▀█ ▒█░▄▀ ▒█▀▀▀ 
▒█▄▄█ ▒█░░░ ▒█░▒█ ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█▄▄▀   ▒█░░░ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▀▄░ ▒█▀▀▀ 
▒█░▒█ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▄▄▀ ▒█▄▄▄ ▒█░▒█   ▒█▄▄█ ▒█░▒█ ▒█░▒█ ▒█▄▄▄

4 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

In a (German) YT comment under his own 12900K video, Igor from IgorsLab straight out claims that LS and Anthony have been using insufficient mounting pressure on the cooler in their benchmarks. He claims temperatures under 60 degree Celsius for Productivity workloads, which is a huge gap compared to the 90 of LTT. Apparently there have been notices from cooler manufacturers about this mounting pressure issue.

👀

1 hour ago, kumicota said:

When pointing out that the 7nm from Intel is the same as their 10nm I think it would be interesting to call out AMD on that too, as they were the ones that begin with that new metric just for marketing

Nm and before it um are 2d measurement metrics, which worked fine in earlier days, but when processors moved to 3d manufacturing methods (mid 200X for home pc) we continued to use 2d metrics to describe the processes. 

From 2:22 Neil Degrasse Tyson explains why 2d measurement of 3d objects is less than ideal 

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

2 hours ago, BigDamn said:

The 12900k is impressive to an extent, but for content creation I still believe the 5950x is the clear winner. Though the chip is $100 more, the cost saved on AMD's platform and not requiring a top tier cooler even things out with a slight performance edge to Ryzen. I wish we could've seen a comparison between Windows 10 and Windows 11 for AMD to verify that the performance hit really is fixed.

But man the 12600k is impressive. This is THE gaming chip to beat for the foreseeable future. Can't wait to see what AMD's response is when Zen4 releases.

GamersNexus mentioned in their video that they will do a separate piece comparing Win 10 and 11. Although Steve did say that he saw the numbers already and the difference wasn't all that big.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

Yeah ... no..

160w for 5950x vs 240w for 12900 and barely better with ddr5 memory that eat around 1w / GB

so cheaper cpu, but expensive motherboard (i can run 5950x on a 100-120$ motherboard) and expensive memory.

Do some charts  with performance per dollar and see who does better.

Switch to DDR4 and cap the cpu to let's say 200w (vs 160w for ryzen 5950x) to keep the cpu at a more manageable 90c or so and your extra performance is gone.

Comparing the 12900K with the 5950X seems like a folly, considering it is 150 bucks more

TechJesus™ has a nice review, albeit on Win10 and Intel is still holding. It has almost reversed, with Intel being the better one in productivity and value(on lower end parts)

The 12900K is stupid and should be price cut. Not as bad as the 11900K, but eh, that ain't much

The 12700K and the 12600K are much cooler.

12 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

GamersNexus mentioned in their video that they will do a separate piece comparing Win 10 and 11. Although Steve did say that he saw the numbers already and the difference wasn't all that big.

That was visible in the 0.1% lows. Maybe it will improve. Maybe not

Nice to see competition. AMDs margins were absolutely ridiculous when you put it against basically everybody else.

I think I chose well and went with the 12600k, of course this will be a huge leap forward for me as I am still running a 3570K on my gaming PC

55 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Yeah ... no..

160w for 5950x vs 240w for 12900 and barely better with ddr5 memory that eat around 1w / GB

so cheaper cpu, but expensive motherboard (i can run 5950x on a 100-120$ motherboard) and expensive memory.

Do some charts  with performance per dollar and see who does better.

Switch to DDR4 and cap the cpu to let's say 200w (vs 160w for ryzen 5950x) to keep the cpu at a more manageable 90c or so and your extra performance is gone.

"barely better"
cpMCdXSMouNGmiYnjZ8rkV-970-80.png.webp

also, your performance won't be "gone" if you lower the power, you're just ignorant

51 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

TechJesus™ has a nice review, albeit on Win10 and Intel is still holding. It has almost reversed, with Intel being the better one in productivity and value(on lower end parts)

ofc they did w10, they have to keep a testing platform, otherwise the scores are invalid for comparison

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Competition! But it's such an expensive platform if u wanna do it properly.

Motherboards are around double of a B550 board and DDR5 is double the price of DDR4. But hey that's what you get if u wanna be an early adopter.

And we already knew AMD was power efficient and while Intel depending on the test does get a bit out of control, it's nice to see that they didn't go full FX and is competitive in most scenario's.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

7 minutes ago, yesyes said:

"barely better"
cpMCdXSMouNGmiYnjZ8rkV-970-80.png.webp

also, your performance won't be "gone" if you lower the power, you're just ignorant

thats a 8% difference, thats not that big.

the reason the 12900k is better is because it draws  2x the power....

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

ofc they did w10, they have to keep a testing platform, otherwise the scores are invalid for comparison

AMD apparently gets a 5% performance boost from switching to windows 11, meaning from here on, all benchmarks should be done on windows 11

1 minute ago, yesyes said:

AMD apparently gets a 5% performance boost from switching to windows 11, meaning from here on, all benchmarks should be done on windows 11

Seen any proof of that?

iirc one of the adl threads said Tech Jesus himself said there was bassically no difference in win11/10

for a while amd had a ~10% los in perf, not a 5% gain

GN will keep its testing platfor untill the end of the year, its what they always do,

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

Just now, HelpfulTechWizard said:

thats a 8% difference, thats not that big.

the reason the 12900k is better is because it draws  2x the power....

how about for a 17% difference?

Image of performance benchmarks between 12th gen Intel and Ryzen 5000

thats and entirely diffrent thing, a productivity benchmark, not a game like the last one. Got any power draw maps for each of those?

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Seen any proof of that?

iirc one of the adl threads said Tech Jesus himself said there was bassically no difference in win11/10

for a while amd had a ~10% los in perf, not a 5% gain

GN will keep its testing platfor untill the end of the year, its what they always do,

It’s the same for the Blender Open Data benchmark, especially when looking at the Ryzen 9 5950X which sees less than a 1% deviation in performance. The R5 3600 was also similar though we do observe a 3% improvement with Windows 11, which I’d argue is quite insignificant.

also this "for a while" ended days ago, and even if it didn't improve performance, it's still an insignificant loss

tldr: proof given, doesn't matter if there's no difference, that 10% loss was fixed days ago

6 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

thats and entirely diffrent thing, a productivity benchmark, not a game like the last one. Got any power draw maps for each of those?

before I find one, I do think intel is slightly less power efficient, but cranking it up to 5Ghz or whatever just exaggerates it to the point of stupidity, so it's not an accurate thing to base your judgement off of

It’s the same for the Blender Open Data benchmark, especially when looking at the Ryzen 9 5950X which sees less than a 1% deviation in performance. The R5 3600 was also similar though we do observe a 3% improvement with Windows 11, which I’d argue is quite insignificant.

also this "for a while" ended days ago, and even if it didn't improve performance, it's still an insignificant loss

tldr: proof given, doesn't matter if there's no difference, that 10% loss was fixed days ago

ye, quotes without scource, thats  great

I never said that loss was still active tho....

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

Just now, yesyes said:

before I find one, I do think intel is slightly less power efficient, but cranking it up to 5Ghz or whatever just exaggerates it to the point of stupidity, so it's not an accurate thing to base your judgement off of

oC4hrrtyfKjd6C2eqbeZPf-970-80.png.webp

~25% difference in performance for a ~50% increase in power, but as performance goes up linearly, power usage goes up exponentially, so if you reduced this down to a 5% increase in performance, I would guess the extra power usage to be a difference of <10%

14 minutes ago, yesyes said:

Image of performance benchmarks between 12th gen Intel and Ryzen 5000

Wow... cherry picking ...

It's OFFICE stuff.   You're comparing a  $600 12900k + $300..400 mobo and a $300 kit of 32 GB DDR5 edit: + $150 on water cooler to cool 240w  to a $550 5950 + $150 mobo + $150 DDR4 kit + $50 air cooler  .... you get 17% extra performance for DOUBLE the power consumption and maybe $500+ more.

edit and I'm being generous here, you can run a 5950 on a 100$ motherboard if you want.

Here's another question ... in an OFFICE environment, do you think the Dell / HP / whatever machines will come with unlocked CPUs that do 240w, or do you think those systems will CPUs capped at 125-150w and with shit motherboards with barely any heatsinks on the VRM and with a stock cooler and some chunky air cooler. 

Those systems will be capped and throttled, so the fact that 12900k can do 17% more for 2x the power consumption is meaningless... it's just something for your wanking pleasure.