why steam deck not choosing oled display?

buklu

Price and durability would be my guess. 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

OLED have burn in issues, imagine clueless people whining about it on the internet, who knows if it will ferment into something worse? Not like TVs which would hardly stay on one screen (could turn it off), steam deck very well could be used like computers and they will stay on one screen.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Given the low price of the steamdeck as it is, they would already be losing money on each unit, going OLED would push up manufacturing cost, meaning they would be losing a higher margin on each unit, or they would have to make them more expensive and potentially lose sales

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

9 hours ago, Arika S said:

Given the low price of the steamdeck as it is, they would already be losing money on each unit, going OLED would push up manufacturing cost, meaning they would be losing a higher margin on each unit, or they would have to make them more expensive and potentially lose sales

Low cost? Oh please The Steamdeck is pricier then I am willing to pay from.

6 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Yes, the low cost. Just because it is not something you can afford or are willing to buy at that cost does not mean it is not a low cost peice of hardware for what they have made. Gabe has even said so himself in that it was incredibly hard for them to commit to the costs they have compaired to what they cost to make.

Quite frankly I wouldnt be at all shocked to find out when all the math is done they are selling units at a loss and plan to make up the money though steam itself.

All you have to do is look at literally any other competing devices on the market and see they are literally hundreds of dollars mode (and quite frankly I'd wager were cheaper to produce) to realize the Steam deck is at a low cost.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

3 minutes ago, Nexxus said:

Yes, the low cost. Just because it is not something you can afford or are willing to buy at that cost does not mean it is not a low cost peice of hardware for what they have made. Gabe has even said so himself in that it was incredibly hard for them to commit to the costs they have compaired to what they cost to make.

Quite frankly I wouldnt be at all shocked to find out when all the math is done they are selling units at a loss and plan to make up the money though steam itself.

Well that hardly usual at all. There are/were some exectations like Wii, but I know if any are now.

12 hours ago, whm1974 said:

The Steam Deck is not much more than a Nintendo Switch. And its more powerful. And its a full computer pretty much. So yeah, its low cost. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

14 hours ago, whm1974 said:

A product objectively having a low price compared to the cost of manufacturing it and having a price low enough for people to want to buy it are two separate and unrelated things. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

17 minutes ago, Middcore said:

A product objectively having a low price compared to the cost of manufacturing it and having a price low enough for people to want to buy it are two separate and unrelated things. 

Well I suppose you are right about that. At least the Steamdeck isn't a ~$1,000+ iPhone.

• 2 weeks later...

Im super glad they have not used an OLED
Because that shiz burns in.
An LCD I can leave on all day (by accident even)
but an OLED... perma-burnin

Burn in is less of an issue when the displayed image varies a lot, unlike a desktop computer. 

But the answer is probably trying to keep cost low and maybe power. I think OLED uses less power? 

On 10/10/2021 at 5:44 AM, whm1974 said:

GabeN said in an IGN interview that the getting the steamdeck to this price point has been "Painful"; which means they are probably losing some money rather than breaking even. (Like the switch) So, they cut corners on the screen.

It's hard for a company all about maximizing profits through steam to adopt a completely different business model which is designed to lose money just for one product. Other handheld PCs like gpd win3, aya neo, onexplayer start at $700 and all the way to $1100. 

The last time valve tried to enter into the console space through the the steam machine, it failed HORRIBLY due to the price being much higher than a standard xbone or PlayStation. They are rectifying the biggest mistake with the steam deck.  

Sidenote:- OLED has suffered more in comparison with LCD in the semiconductor shortage due to the tech being relatively new and not having many manufacturing hubs in comparison to LCD. 

On 10/10/2021 at 6:21 PM, Donut417 said:

The Steam Deck is not much more than a Nintendo Switch

The steam deck is MUCH more powerful than a switch cuz :-

1)Big ass console ports on the switch are literary shoved into with the help of optimizations.

2)The Tegra chip by Nvidia is an ARM based one and the steam deck has a full x86 cpu.

3)Nintendo themselves are struggling with the hardware in games like hyrule warriors. 

6 hours ago, Bl4ze_buoy said:

The steam deck is MUCH more powerful than a switch cuz :-

You need to read my entire post. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I think the post of it being expensive and less durable hit the nail on the head..i'm pretty sure those are the two deciding factors.

On 10/9/2021 at 8:14 PM, whm1974 said:

Yes, it's low-cost.  

Compare it to the GPD or other devices.  (Linus even made a video about it already!)

It's dramatically cheaper, and has great performace in comparison.