Tips and Tricks to Make Life with Technology Easier

abhay6547

So I don't know if a thread like this has been created before (I googled it and nothing seemed to come up) so I'm taking the chance to start it now. We all have those really quick and short tips or tricks that make things like surfing the internet or using certain applications just a bit easier. I want this thread to be the place where we all share some things we know to help each other out.

My quick tip:    - Clicking the scroll wheel button on a link opens it in a new tab (I use this all the time)

i9-6930X @ 5.3GHz | ASUS Z1007-A | 64TB G.Skill Ripjaw XIV 2400GHz RAM | GTX 1080 Ti | Corsair 900R

Corsair CX2500 W | 15TB WD Green | Noctua NH-D24

alt + tab ( or windows key + tab) is the greatest thing ever.

You can also use CTRL + Tab to switch tabs.

CTRL + E = Open Computer

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Same goes for clicking the scroll wheel on a tab to close it :D

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

Same goes for clicking the scroll wheel on a tab to close it :D

See, I did not know that and it's going to help me a bunch! Thanks!

i9-6930X @ 5.3GHz | ASUS Z1007-A | 64TB G.Skill Ripjaw XIV 2400GHz RAM | GTX 1080 Ti | Corsair 900R

a unique feature on my older computer

kicking the right side panel short circuit something and shuts down the pc when ur to lazy to turn it off

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

a unique feature on my older computer

kicking the right side panel short circuit something and shuts down the pc when ur to lazy to turn it off

Yours did that too?

<3

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

alt + tab ( or windows key + tab) is the greatest thing ever.

You can also use CTRL + Tab to switch tabs.

CTRL + E = Open Computer

that is so 80s, use the mice:D

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

It blew my mind when I found you could open task manager by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc.

Also if you're ever helping somebody with a software issue and trying to figure out where they're going wrong, get them to run Problem Step Recorder (Open Run then type PSR.exe) until their problem occurs, then get the person to save and send you the file it generates.

Shift + Right click an object to bring up more options. Some useful features this brings up are the options to run software as a specific user and to copy the full path location of a file.

If you're scripting in a command line and need the path of a file, you can just drag the file onto the window and it will get it for you.

Process Explorer is a more advanced Task Manager and you are able to see which related processes are hanging and thus causing a program to freeze or crash (You can also do this via resource monitor by going to CPU, right clicking on a process and clicking 'Analyze Wait Chain'.

When copying files, it's best doing so in a new process by shift + right clicking on the folder and choosing 'Open in new process', that way if your main instance of explorer crashes, it will not interrupt your copying.

Work in an office environment? LANMessenger is a great IM app that you can install on a memory stick and use to chat with your coworkers anywhere in the office. No signing in or setting up of accounts.

Got an old piece of software on your computer that you no longer have the disc for and can't find the download? Use PickMeApp to copy and create an install file.

Got the program but need the key? Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder can recover keys for a bunch of programs.

Launch a program as admin from your taskbar by holding Ctrl + Shift when clicking the icon.

You can mount virtual hard drives (.vhd files) using disk manager.

It blew my mind when I found you could open task manager by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc.

Also if you're ever helping somebody with a software issue and trying to figure out where they're going wrong, get them to run Problem Step Recorder (Open Run then type PSR.exe) until their problem occurs, then get the person to save and send you the file it generates.

Shift + Right click an object to bring up more options. Some useful features this brings up are the options to run software as a specific user and to copy the full path location of a file.

If you're scripting in a command line and need the path of a file, you can just drag the file onto the window and it will get it for you.

Process Explorer is a more advanced Task Manager and you are able to see which related processes are hanging and thus causing a program to freeze or crash (You can also do this via resource monitor by going to CPU, right clicking on a process and clicking 'Analyze Wait Chain'.

When copying files, it's best doing so in a new process by shift + right clicking on the folder and choosing 'Open in new process', that way if your main instance of explorer crashes, it will not interrupt your copying.

Work in an office environment? LANMessenger is a great IM app that you can install on a memory stick and use to chat with your coworkers anywhere in the office. No signing in or setting up of accounts.

Got an old piece of software on your computer that you no longer have the disc for and can't find the download? Use PickMeApp to copy and create an install file.

Got the program but need the key? Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder can recover keys for a bunch of programs.

Launch a program as admin from your taskbar by holding Ctrl + Shift when clicking the icon.

You can mount virtual hard drives (.vhd files) using disk manager.

Awesome tips!

I didn't know some of this stuff O_o

A few of my own I've found:

Press Windows Key + 1-9 and it will open up the corresponding program in your taskbar. Say Chrome is the first program on the left of your taskbar. Press Win + 1 and it'll open! If I want to open my taskbar programs quickly I just hold Win and move along the number keys :P You can do the same thing to hide the program :)

Press Windows Key + D to hide all open applications. Neat if your desktop is cluttered or if you like admiring your wallpaper.

In Chrome, press Ctrl + Shift + T and your least opened tabs will open. Handy if you accidentally close Chrome or a tab.

Ctrl + Alt + vowel will insert an accented letter. For example: á é í ó ú. I use this a lot for typing Beyoncé (I type her name a lot, I'm a big fan) :P

That's all I can think of.

| My first build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/117400-my-very-first-build/ | Build for my friend's 18th: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/168660-pc-for-my-friends-18th-with-pictures-complete/ |

ATH-M50X Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/165934-review-audio-technica-ath-m50-x/ | Nintendo 3DS XL Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/179711-nintendo-3ds-xl-review/ | Game Capture Guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186547-ultimate-guide-to-recording-your-gameplay/

Case: Corsair 200R CPU: i5 4670K @ 3.4GHz RAM: Corsair 8GB 1600MHz C9 Mobo: GIGABYTE Z87-HD3 GPU: MSI R9 290 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO PSU: EVGA 750W Storage: 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD Display: Dell U2212HM OS: Windows 8

Rainmeter for your PC

"Do not pray for and easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one."

"A place where everything and nothing exists, this is my playground."

Instead of going to someones house to fix a software problem, you can use teamviewer (if their computer isnt completely screwed up). Ive used it to help someone who live ~8 hours from me.

since i like telling stories—

This guy had brought his computer to one of those repair places, and they told him they dont know what happended to ~50% of his hdd space. I told him to get teamviewer, and i then was able to remotely install easeus partition manager, and saw that half his hdd was unpartionened space. i then managed to give him back the space by extending the partition, and all was good again.