Buyer Beware: TP-Link Archer A5 speed claims misleading.

RGProductions
10 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

That's the one drawback of me using an appliance, no upgrading the NICs.聽 But then I don't see needing more than Gigabit any time soon, though once I DO have Gigabit I will still have the 5G backup so its a shame to not do a test load balanced across both. 馃槈

Will probably try either link aggregation or a USB 2.5Gbit adapter as I聽 THINK pfSense supports that as its driverless, I know it doesn't like my 5Gbit adapter though.

I'm not a fan of USB long term as it tends to have more latency and I believe more CPU overhead.

This is more future proofing.聽 Since the J4005 has more than enough power for what I'm doing, it'll last years and years and I'll just strap on a faster dualport NIC as needed.聽 Will be a while till I need to but at least it's an option.聽 Though with only an x2 PCIE 2.0 slot, that's 1000MB/s maximum, but that should go to a bit shy of 5gbps聽internet聽which probably ten years.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio,聽Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7聽4790, Asus聽B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel聽E5-2603v2,聽Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5聽
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel聽i3 3250, Asus聽P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock聽775i65G聽r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

19 hours ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

This is more future proofing.聽 Since the J4005 has more than enough power for what I'm doing, it'll last years and years and I'll just strap on a faster dualport NIC as needed.聽 Will be a while till I need to but at least it's an option.聽 Though with only an x2 PCIE 2.0 slot, that's 1000MB/s maximum, but that should go to a bit shy of 5gbps聽internet聽which probably ten years.

The J4005 is not going to handle 5Gbit though, my 7200U hits 50% load on a single core doing 500Mbit and once I get FTTP that will have PPPoE overhead on top.聽 I'm not entirely convinced it will handle Gigabit despite being the fastest appliance I could find at the time.

I do run several instances of OpenVPN on it too though, that pushes requirements up though in most cases its unlikely to go above 300Mbit on VPN due to the sheer horsepower needed at the OTHER end too.聽 Plus at least OpenVPN can run on a different core to PPP.

The biggest confusion with Gigabit for users is not understanding the huge requirements at the other end of the link.聽 Only really big CDN will deliver it and not necessarily during a big game launch for example.聽 The capacity at the other end vs our end is a much smaller ratio than it used to be, so always assume Gigabit is intended to be shared across multiple clients rather than actually hitting Gigabit for a single download.

Router:聽 Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

7 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

The J4005 is not going to handle 5Gbit though, my 7200U hits 50% load on a single core doing 500Mbit and once I get FTTP that will have PPPoE overhead on top.聽 I'm not entirely convinced it will handle Gigabit despite being the fastest appliance I could find at the time.

I do run several instances of OpenVPN on it too though, that pushes requirements up though in most cases its unlikely to go above 300Mbit on VPN due to the sheer horsepower needed at the OTHER end too.聽 Plus at least OpenVPN can run on a different core to PPP.

The biggest confusion with Gigabit for users is not understanding the huge requirements at the other end of the link.聽 Only really big CDN will deliver it and not necessarily during a big game launch for example.聽 The capacity at the other end vs our end is a much smaller ratio than it used to be, so always assume Gigabit is intended to be shared across multiple clients rather than actually hitting Gigabit for a single download.

My comment is less about absolute speed and more link speed.聽 For example, my ISP offers at max 1.5gbps, but the link for that is 2.5gbps, so you'll need 2.5gbps link speed to make that 'work' even if it's not about saturating 2.5gbps.聽 Same concern with a 5Gbps NIC but I imagine that with a 2.5gbps NIC, by the time faster than that is a concern, the hardware will have served for 10 years maybe and need to be retired anyway.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio,聽Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7聽4790, Asus聽B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel聽E5-2603v2,聽Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5聽
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel聽i3 3250, Asus聽P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock聽775i65G聽r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

27 minutes ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

My comment is less about absolute speed and more link speed.聽 For example, my ISP offers at max 1.5gbps, but the link for that is 2.5gbps, so you'll need 2.5gbps link speed to make that 'work' even if it's not about saturating 2.5gbps.聽 Same concern with a 5Gbps NIC but I imagine that with a 2.5gbps NIC, by the time faster than that is a concern, the hardware will have served for 10 years maybe and need to be retired anyway.

Would be fascinating to see pfSense running on an Apple M1 Mac Mini. 馃槈

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

On 9/11/2021 at 3:20 AM, Alex Atkin UK said:

The router market is a nightmare for people who ARE technically inclined, never mind those who aren't.

It is聽for everyone, IMO. I'm fairly technical, but never cared enough to learn much about networking (natting, submasking etc).

Primary issue is that the "extremely" low budget offerings, are muddying the waters, making it hard for someone who doesn't understand it, to justify purchasing a聽>$150 router paired with a >$100 switch instead of a $50 all-in-one that does nothing well

Personally, I run edgerouter with AP from ubiquity - but those are a nightmare to configure compared to a cheap plug-and-play mainstream router with built-in "gigabit" switch.
And I can damn well guarantee you that I won't be setting that stuff up for someone else - If I did, I'd be basically volunteering聽myself firmly as their personal IT guy, should any issues arise or changes needed

11 hours ago, helfisk said:

Personally, I run edgerouter with AP from ubiquity - but those are a nightmare to configure compared to a cheap plug-and-play mainstream router with built-in "gigabit" switch.

And I can damn well guarantee you that I won't be setting that stuff up for someone else - If I did, I'd be basically volunteering聽myself firmly as their personal IT guy, should any issues arise or changes needed

I've recently flashed my nanoHD with OpenWRT because frankly I despise Unifi Controller.聽 I get the principle of having one place to configure everything, but its hugely bloated if you DON'T have a whole network of Ubiquiti gear and their firmware updates can be so hit and miss I'd never do that.聽 Having a firmware that is long-term supported by the community is a whole lot better, it will likely be getting security updates years past the point where Ubiquiti stop supporting it.

When it comes to routers, honestly the waters got muddied the instant they advertised "Gigabit router" to merely identify they have Gigabit ethernet ports.聽 As now we have Gigabit broadband and 99% of Gigabit routers can't come close to handling it.

Then we have WiFi which further inflates the speed claims.聽聽 Even Ubiquiti are guilty of this, having Access Points that can achieve a 1.6Gbit link rate but only have Gigabit ports.聽 Theoretically the WiFi can go faster than the link back to the LAN which is utterly stupid.

12 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Access Points that can achieve a 1.6Gbit link rate but only have Gigabit ports.聽 Theoretically the WiFi can go faster than the link back to the LAN which is utterly stupid

Well, to some extend - but it also means 2 devices can communicate directly through the AP at higher speeds, so it can be an indicator of how multiple devices will perform聽

On 9/15/2021 at 7:02 AM, helfisk said:

Well, to some extend - but it also means 2 devices can communicate directly through the AP at higher speeds, so it can be an indicator of how multiple devices will perform聽

True, but I'd wager very few people do much WiFi to WiFi data transfer, its mostly WiFi to LAN.

Of course there could be an argument that it allows for more overheads so that with more clients you're hitting a higher speed, but I haven't really seen anyone testing that so can't be sure.