Windows 11 is bigger than we thought

4 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Who uses 7 zip though 

I'm a daily user of it

7zip is the bomb

42.zip to be specific

i do the writing of things hello | they/them

4 hours ago, Forbidden Wafer said:

I think I'm sticking with Win10. No right-click on the task bar? Heck, I gave up on Win7 for that and now they have removed it.

That would be a deal breaker for me too. The extra step of having to click "Show more options" when right clicking files is also annoying. I have a few items in my right click menu that I like to use.

16 minutes ago, JBee said:

I'm a daily user of it

7zip is the bomb

how it feels to chew 5 gum and your winrar version is expired!

Gonna nitpick about the TPM/Secure Boot thing: The screenshots you used when talking about it were about HVCI which is neither a requirement for Windows 11 nor directly related to TPM/Secure Boot support (although IIRC Secure Boot is a requirement for HVCI)

ie. The hardware virtualization features required for HVCI (VT-x + EPT/AMD-Vi) are not a requirement to run Windows 11 - I have them disabled in the BIOS and the Windows Insider Program section in Settings does not complain about lacking support for Windows 11 the way it does if I disable TPM.

9 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Who uses 7 zip though 

Many people do. 7-zip is the best for me as it can literally read any file format and doesn't cost money like other ones.

11 hours ago, GabenJr said:

Honestly I am bit confused i will upgrade but Microsoft make me feel like this is the first time i will be using windows i don't normally use the command prompt so I don't know anything about I want to learn about the new terminal and commands but i really confused when i saw the video they made for the windows terminal it had ubuntu logo can anyone explain that

13 hours ago, poochyena said:

18 minutes and not even 1 minute of features that would make me want to upgrade

...and at least 10 minutes of features that make me want to stay.

I'd like to know how to avoid M$ account logon and achieve similar "security". The loss of Local Accounts is a deal breaker for me. Configuring local login account was a challenge to the uninitiated after the migration to Win10. How does providing private information or identification to M$ enhance my standalone PC's security? It is certainly not a reduction in the attack surface.
Can anyone assure me that M$ cloud that will store my security informatin will never be breached and my credentials used by the nefarious?
I hope that it will still be possible to run all my Portable Apps from the main drive.

27 minutes ago, TerryS said:

The loss of Local Accounts is a deal breaker for me.

100% with you there, at least for now. I guess I'll stick with 10 for a while longer, and after support ends... I guess we'll see. Maybe gaming on Linux will be on par with Windows by then! (one can hope).

And before anyone quotes me, yes I know about proton and all that, it's still not quite enough for me to make the jump.

7 hours ago, TerryS said:

I'd like to know how to avoid M$ account logon and achieve similar "security". The loss of Local Accounts is a deal breaker for me. Configuring local login account was a challenge to the uninitiated after the migration to Win10. How does providing private information or identification to M$ enhance my standalone PC's security? It is certainly not a reduction in the attack surface.
Can anyone assure me that M$ cloud that will store my security informatin will never be breached and my credentials used by the nefarious?
I hope that it will still be possible to run all my Portable Apps from the main drive.

You install Windows 11 Pro where it's still enabled.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

9 hours ago, alifarshad275 said:

not showing the content of a folder is the biggest deal breaker for me! i do manage my folders very neatly but heck that is very important to just LOOK and tell what you are clicking on w/o reading a list of folder names or sth! i know my  friend who is not very organized is going to have a heck o time finding the right stuff in the folders. 

Yeah, when watching the video that part bothered me a lot too. Thing is, there are so many deal breakers in the video I don't even remember all of them by the end of it.

I am a Windows 7 die-hard,

Enough was said.

Not only the UI looks good,it's also easier to use!

The Start menu,pinned programs,all programs,default programs,Control Panel,display settings,network settings are all superior in Windows 7,and you have frequently used programs as well!

Explorer is fairly simple,no ribbons.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

• 1 month later...
On 8/25/2021 at 8:00 PM, GabenJr said:

Windows 11 is out of the dev channel and officially beta software now. The final release is close, so let’s see what new features are in Microsoft’s biggest operating system update in a long, long time.

translation of the binary code in the begging of the video is: "this is Windows 3"

I hope to get LTT water bottle for this translating this easter egg or a laptop, what ever you see fit

Windows 98 BAD, what, Anthony? 😠 What about it was bad?? And why did LTT leave out Win 8.1 in the video? 8.1 was awesome!!!

9 minutes ago, D4n said:

Windows 98 BAD, what, Anthony? 😠 What about it was bad?? And why did LTT leave out Win 8.1 in the video? 8.1 was awesome!!!

8.1 was just 8 and less shit.

Everyone though it was good because it was 8.0 was so ass.

Spicifically remember this because I had a surface rt runningg 8.0 because we didnt bother updating it and a updated 8.1 desktop for a while when I was like 7

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler