Windows 11 is bigger than we thought

Windows 11 is out of the dev channel and officially beta software now. The final release is close, so let’s see what new features are in Microsoft’s biggest operating system update in a long, long time.

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

I hope Windows 11 flops like Windows 8 or even Vista because of the ridiculous system requirements which will ultimately cause Millions of Computers to go in Landfill after windows 10 support ends. 

22 minutes ago, WickedThunder86 said:

I hope Windows 11 flops like Windows 8 or even Vista because of the ridiculous system requirements which will ultimately cause Millions of Computers to go in Landfill after windows 10 support ends. 

The thing I hate about 11 is that my AMD drivers are broken as hell, Radeon software crashes my whole pc when opened, and when I put my sound to 10% it says 9% in the taskbar but 10% in the volume pop up.

And the fact it's reskinned Windows 10 with more demanding requirements and marketed as a new product.

Windows 10 good???????????

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Windows 11, don't know if I will switch over to it to be honest.

Windows 10 were already a complete no in my opinion. (It's forced updates isn't particularly nice, and the few windows 10 systems I do use tend to be semi bricked due to the updates. I work in electronics manufacturing, a lot of "security updates" are generally a nightmare. Be it the FTDI gate issue, sudden missing drivers, whole programs gone missing, files getting deleted out of the blue, etc, etc... When a system is critical for production, forced updates aren't a feature!)

The new folder design lacking previewing is frankly a bit lackluster, I don't know about others, but the previews can be really helpful when one searches for a specific file that one can't remember the name of, or where exactly one placed it, but the preview gets one down the right track faster. All though, mostly useful for images. Most other files are frankly rather non unique in their nature.

The overall style/theme of the OS seems a bit like someone changed things up for the sake of change rather than anything substantial. And a lot of things could be user settings regardless. But I guess I shouldn't expect too much from today's inefficient programmers.

The lack of app categories is both a pro and con at the same time. It is more nuance, but also more hassle. One can argue for both sides. (Though, I still think it is fairly featureless)

Direct storage is fairly niche, though I do wonder how long it will take before someone exploits it to gain access to files that they shouldn't be able to read/edit. (Not like windows and other OSes already are an open book for programs to do almost whatever they wish within...)

In the end.
I likely won't switch to Windows 11 nor Windows 10.
Have been looking at FreeBSD myself, and a few Linux distros. (Also working on an OS of my own for the CPU architecture I develop as a hobby, but that is a different topic... It is a hobby, not a product! yet...)

Who uses 7 zip though 

Just now, Rellik66 said:

Anybody that doesn't want to feel the guilt of not paying for WinRAR

I pay for the Android WinRAR, but I legit prefer 7z on the desktop. ._.

@GabenJr I have upgraded to Windows 11 and for the most part I'm enjoying it but I have had a few issues with it ranging from major to minor that you may be interested in.

When I upgraded to Windows 11 I have had several drivers quit working on me. I get a warning from VoiceMeter that it has detected bad audio drivers, and no applications within Windows can control or even recognize that I have any fans or RGB. I am no longer able to have more than a mild OC now since I have lost all ability to tweak my settings.

Windows 11 also uninstalled at least one program and replaced it with the Windows app version. I don't mind this so much but it did it without asking and I have no idea where it is physically located so I have not yet figured out how to create a shortcut to it.

Windows 11 also removed the ability to have the clock displayed on all monitors.

At this time I'm just waiting for an update or something to fix these issues cause this is my streaming PC and I REALLY do not want to have to reconfigure everything to do a clean install or anything.

If this interests you please feel free to reach out to me. I'll gladly let you poke around and use my computer as a case study.

@GabenJr it appears the Binary on the intro reads Windows 3.. not Windows 11 as I/we assume was expected. 

According to converters like https://www.rapidtables.com/, this is the Binary code for This is Windows 11

Spoiler

image.png

This is the code posted and what it converts to:

Spoiler

image.png.6e674083e9a155a28e8e9b81835ab4ee.png

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

2 hours ago, GabenJr said:

Windows 11 is out of the dev channel and officially beta software now. The final release is close, so let’s see what new features are in Microsoft’s biggest operating system update in a long, long time.

what's up with windows 3

01110100 01101000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01010111 01101001 01101110 01100100 01101111 01110111 01110011 00100000 00110011

this was in the intro

5 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

it appears the Binary on the intro reads Windows 3.. not Windows 11 as I/we assume was expected. 

Probably a joke about Microsoft's awful naming scheme. Wouldn't surprise me if they named it "Windows One Series Windows".

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Spotify layout isn't really compatible with the rounded corners, the Close/Maximize/Minimize buttons are messing it up and they are hanging outside of corner

1 hour ago, NULL Protogen said:

@GabenJr I have upgraded to Windows 11 and for the most part I'm enjoying it but I have had a few issues with it ranging from major to minor that you may be interested in.

When I upgraded to Windows 11 I have had several drivers quit working on me. I get a warning from VoiceMeter that it has detected bad audio drivers, and no applications within Windows can control or even recognize that I have any fans or RGB. I am no longer able to have more than a mild OC now since I have lost all ability to tweak my settings.

Windows 11 also uninstalled at least one program and replaced it with the Windows app version. I don't mind this so much but it did it without asking and I have no idea where it is physically located so I have not yet figured out how to create a shortcut to it.

Windows 11 also removed the ability to have the clock displayed on all monitors.

At this time I'm just waiting for an update or something to fix these issues cause this is my streaming PC and I REALLY do not want to have to reconfigure everything to do a clean install or anything.

If this interests you please feel free to reach out to me. I'll gladly let you poke around and use my computer as a case study.

I experienced an issue or two with bad drivers, especially for the audio, but the issue got carried to Windows 10 when I downgraded, and I re-experienced it again with Windows 10 today for no reason at all. 

Also I feel like Windows 11 is hogging up CPU I sat and watched my CPU usage top up to 100% for like 15 minutes while doing nothing.

The "open shell here" has been around for a long time, but before Win 11 it was hidden behind holding "ctrl and shift" before you right click on a folder\file..

For those that are in Multi-Monitor hell, 2 major applications you must get:

*(I have the issue when I turn off monitors overnight): There might be a video in there: How much power do certain things actually draw, especially when sleeping?  Is my wifi switch wasting more power to turn on/off my monitors overnight then just the standard sleep mode?