Do you own an iPhone? Here's what it indicates

Ebenesh

Source : Do you own an iPhone? Here's what it indicates

NEW YORK: Do you own an iPhone? You must belong to an affluent family living in a posh area in your city, a research based on smart phone owners and their social standings has revealed.

The US researchers have created a map which shows those living in posh areas in the world's biggest cities are far more likely to own Apple's iPhone, while those in lower income areas almost always own an Android handset.

Developed by the US-based mapping provider MapBox and social media aggregation firm Gnip, the map reveals the places from where phone owners tweet.

The developers analysed three billion tweets and found that in New York, affluent iOS owners are in Manhattan, while the suburbs are dominated by the low-cost Android cell phones.

"In the map, one can see that the iPhones, in red, are predominantly in wealthy sections of the city while the Android phones, in green, have more coverage in poorer sections," the developers were quoted as saying in media reports.

The iPhone owners download apps and games the most, leaving app developers make twice as much money from the Apple iPhone apps than hugely popular Android handsets.

According to latest figures, there have been 50 billion total downloads from the Apple App Store, still just ahead of Google Play's recently touted 48 billion.

Anyone here in posh locations with Android phones ??? 

I don't know if this applies to Canada, but I live in one of the best places in Toronto and I'm rocking the S4 so...

I went to school with kids on assisted lunch who had iphones, this article obviously doesn't apply to America.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Upper-middle class family in the middle of the Polo capital of the world, sounds about right.

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

Iphones are free on almost any plan nowadays so they must be talking about those singlecore 800mhz androids on trackfone.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Well there are a bunch of cheap android phones so that probably skews the results a bit...

As for me, I live in an area where a lot of people use iPhones, though I know a few people that own android phones. For an idea, I live in a semi-upper middle-class neighborhood.

"No signature"

So a cheap pay as you go phone means you're poor and an iPhone means you're rich, what does an expensive Android phone make you?

It makes you clever. Droid's are the way man.

OK really having an iPhone does not mean you are rich, it might mean that you got a contract deal with your provider and got the handset at a reduced price or for free. Granted they are still popular and people will go with the option that they have had before or that their friends have.

Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate Wants you! Join now!

UOLTT Basop | Misc Freelancer & Origin M50

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

-Groucho Marx

If your phone means that you are rich, you don't want to be flashing it in public. Because it makes you an automatic target for muggers and pick-pockets.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

And what about Note 3 owners, Xperia Z2, LG G2 and the rest of the expensive hi-end android phones? Also what about people who buy second-hand iphone "2g" and "3g"'s?

As always this kind of article is geared towards common uninformed folk who'll believe anything. What is it doing on our forum?

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

I live in one of the most posh areas in Belfast, UK and I use daily a HTC One X+.

Main Rig - Case: Corsair 200R   Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270-GAMING-K3  CPU: Intel i5 7600 RAM: Corsair H55 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3000MHz SSD: Crucial MX500 1 TB 

HDD: 2TB WD Green  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti 6GB Windforce  PSU: Corsair CX 600W  

HTPC - Case: CiT MTX-007B   Motherboard: Biostar H61MGV3, CPU: Intel i5 2400  RAM: Patriot 4GB 1333MHz SSD: 240GB Toshiba SSD PSU: 180W CIT (Came with case)

Corsair 200R Front Bezel Mod

I have an iPhone and I am actually a billionaire playboy

oh no wait that was my dream last night :(

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Living in one of the wealthiest part of Vancouver, Galaxy Nexus. Being able to afford something flashy doesn't mean you have to spend the money.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

I live in suburban Detroit. I would hardly call this the most affluent area in the country. Maybe one of the most miserable atm. 

Review of my Iphone.

OS and look. The new IOS icons looks like they were designed by a 8 year old girl who watched a marathon of My Little Pony and Rainbow Bright. Other than that? It's fine. The old OS had much manlier icons and shame on Apple for not letting me keep those. The new IOS does let me turn on the flashlight easier from the new bottom menu. Very nice. Flashlights can come in handy. The fancy new icons that are 3D or whatever. Turned that crap off. All it does it steal battery life. Also like that I can more easily turn off Wifi now, which also saves battery life.

Reception. Works good. I can surf the internet on my toilet nearest my router (bout the only time I use it for this). The toilet on the far side of the house gets no wi fi reception. I blame my router for this. I avoid that toilet.

Camera. Fine.

Games. Why the hell would I want to play games on a little phone. I actually like talking to people and stuff, when I can get them to look up from their damn phone. Also why are these phones getting bigger. Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose? The games suck and if I wanted a portable gaming system I would buy one.

I don't think Apple would like my review. I guess I am supposed to say that this phone changed my life and it opened up new possibilities and worlds to me (I will say that surfing the internet on a smartphone while on the toilet is nice)... I have no idea how people even fight over these dumb phones. Seriously who cares. If I meet someone who is impressed by the fact I have an Iphone? I don't want to meet that person anyways. 

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

There probably is another exception: A lot of "geeks" so to speak, or enthusiasts of all kinds, might own android headsets simply because they delve more into stats and added functionality. I'm assuming a good number of them do live in posh neighborhoods, after all is not a cheap hobby anybody can afford. So for the most part yes: I've seen iphones used as a status symbol and fashion accessory but that's not exclusive to well off people: I've seen strippers with the latests iphones and they were certainly not really living the high life in the rich neighborhoods, they just happen to have rich clients.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I own an iPhone, not because of my surrounding but because I will use it more due to the appstore having more games and more features on the iPhone.

The reason I own an iPhone its because I dropped my last smartphone into the sea :'(, so my father gave me his iPhone. Then he bought an S4..

There probably is another exception: A lot of "geeks" so to speak, or enthusiasts of all kinds, might own android headsets simply because they delve more into stats and added functionality. I'm assuming a good number of them do live in posh neighborhoods, after all is not a cheap hobby anybody can afford. So for the most part yes: I've seen iphones used as a status symbol and fashion accessory but that's not exclusive to well off people...

Yes, I must agree on this completely. I've owned an iPhone 3GS for maybe half a year back when android wasn't mature enough to be a viable competition. But nowdays, like you said a lot of techies use androids because we like to tinker around. That's what we do, it's in our nature, to pry around and android lets us do that best. Also being a techie isn't a cheap hobby at all (I'm not saying you can't be a techie if you have more money, but it helps a lot), just look at how much money we spend on technology yearly, more than most normal ppl spend on food and bills.

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

If your phone means that you are rich, you don't want to be flashing it in public. Because it makes you an automatic target for muggers and pick-pockets.

Mugging someone for their phone is pointless. Pick pocketing is next to impossible since most people have to forcibly stuff their hands into their pants to reach into skin tight jeans

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

So what does that make me since I use a Windows Phone? Oh wait I must be the only one.

SELECT * FROM users WHERE Phone = Windows;

1 row returned 

:(

yep pretty sure

The reason I own an iPhone its because I dropped my last smartphone into the sea :'(, so my father gave me his iPhone. Then he bought an S4..

Dropped into the sea? :P

Dropped into the sea? :P

I was kayaking and when I took my phone to check the map it slipped from my hands. Yeah I know I'm an idiot haha. I learned my lesson and now every time I go kayaking I leave my phone in the car.