should i buy a server for fun?

adarw
2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

No not at all.

Single core really means single core you cannot combine cores at all.

oh sad pikachu noises

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

Try mining Monero, see if that pays out :)
Also invest in solar+wind energy, if possible.

I cannot quote people with the built-in function because I almost never enable JavaScript on websites. You won't get notified if I reply to you, sadly :/

6 minutes ago, ZFSinmylungs said:

Try mining Monero, see if that pays out 🙂
Also invest in solar+wind energy, if possible.

i mean it probly wont make money with all the electricity it takes

-----------------

#

@adarw
"i mean it probly wont make money with all the electricity it takes"
Monero is more about the rights such as privacy, anonymity, than earning money from it..
But yeah - I did recommend solar .. it is an long-term investment :/

I cannot quote people with the built-in function because I almost never enable JavaScript on websites. You won't get notified if I reply to you, sadly :/

1 minute ago, ZFSinmylungs said:

@adarw
"i mean it probly wont make money with all the electricity it takes"
Monero is more about the rights such as privacy, anonymity, than earning money from it..
But yeah - I did recommend solar .. it is an long-term investment 😕

you cant longterm invest in crpto mining espicaly cpu mining

-----------------

#

@adarw
" you cant longterm invest in crpto mining espicaly cpu mining "
Yeah - you won't become a millionare.

-> Moved to Servers and NAS

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 minute ago, LogicalDrm said:

-> Moved to Servers and NAS

ahhh im sorry! i keep forgetting theres subs for things asking on a forum is quite hard

-----------------

#

Welp. i found a Server HP ProLiant DL380G6  with 2 X5560 at 2.8 ghz with 4 cores each. and 32 gb of ram for 100 bucks? what you guys think? 

-----------------

#

4 hours ago, adarw said:

Welp. i found a Server HP ProLiant DL380G6  with 2 X5560 at 2.8 ghz with 4 cores each. and 32 gb of ram for 100 bucks? what you guys think? 

Do you have expendable income? Do you have a need for a server? Do you care about noise? 

4 hours ago, adarw said:

I own one of these. Decent server with Linux. 

Still, there's nothing a server does that a desktop can't. My Ryzen 7 1700X outperforms my DL380 G6 all day, with 2x X5670's.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

1 minute ago, svmlegacy said:

I own one of these. Decent server with Linux. 

Still, there's nothing a server does that a desktop can't. My Ryzen 7 1700X outperforms my DL380 G6 all day, with 2x X5670's.

can you upgrade the cpus more than the 5670?

-----------------

#

1 hour ago, adarw said:

I think you need to layout what you want this server to do first of all. If you just want a general PC but using "cool server hardware" you are going to be sorely disapointed unless you step up to a vastly newer generation of server, and even then you will need to be very picky about what CPU you get as most are designed for parallel tasks, not single core brute speed.

If you want to run a plex server, a few games servers, home automation, email server, a NAS and a database all at the same time, get a server like what you posted. If you want to run a daily workstation for browsing the web, gaming, doing homework, then stick with a conventional desktop based around a ryzen/i3.5.7.9. It will be much better at handling those tasks.

(this is coming from a guy who has a 5600x based system and a e5 2650 v2 based system both sitting within 5 feet of me)

5 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

I think you need to layout what you want this server to do first of all. If you just want a general PC but using "cool server hardware" you are going to be sorely disapointed unless you step up to a vastly newer generation of server, and even then you will need to be very picky about what CPU you get as most are designed for parallel tasks, not single core brute speed.

If you want to run a plex server, a few games servers, home automation, email server, a NAS and a database all at the same time, get a server like what you posted. If you want to run a daily workstation for browsing the web, gaming, doing homework, then stick with a conventional desktop based around a ryzen/i3.5.7.9. It will be much better at handling those tasks.

(this is coming from a guy who has a 5600x based system and a e5 2650 v2 based system both sitting within 5 feet of me)

i mean if i bought it i would use it for a game server, nas and website server when i make a website (well hopefully) also decoding would be cool (is that even possble) and when its on and isnt using some kind of power folding would be cool (dont know if it would be affective tho)

-----------------

#

36 minutes ago, adarw said:

i mean if i bought it i would use it for a game server, nas and website server when i make a website (well hopefully) also decoding would be cool (is that even possble) and when its on and isnt using some kind of power folding would be cool (dont know if it would be affective tho)

Its gonna struggle with some of that due to the slow single thread speeds on those chips.

Id just get a newer used desktop here.

Also how much do you pay for power? These systems idle at about 500w, and will use about 1000w under low. There very power hungry systems, and will cost 1K+ in many areas to run all the time every year.

This chips are pretty old too and missing some features, so some programs won't work as expected.

11 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Its gonna struggle with some of that due to the slow single thread speeds on those chips.

Id just get a newer used desktop here.

Also how much do you pay for power? These systems idle at about 500w, and will use about 1000w under low. There very power hungry systems, and will cost 1K+ in many areas to run all the time every year.

This chips are pretty old too and missing some features, so some programs won't work as expected.

oh true didnt think about the electricty..........

-----------------

#

3 hours ago, adarw said:

Not substantially. The X5675 probably runs in it. I know for certain the 130 W chips don't work. The 115 W X5679 is a complete gamble.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

23 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

Not substantially. The X5675 probably runs in it. I know for certain the 130 W chips don't work. The 115 W X5679 is a complete gamble.

oh ok thanks its a bummer it takes so much electricity would have had it as a "hobby server" probably

-----------------

#