New HD560S, and I'm freaking out.

AverageLeo

Just got them, unboxed, and straight to the PC.

I using the back panel of course (Asus Z270-A PRIME motherboard), and only until the DAC/AMP arrives.

Anyway, the sound is not what I expected. I'm using AKG buds, and the Samsung Buds so not the top of the line, and I thought I'll get a big difference.

I know sometimes you need to change some windows 10 settings, I changed the sample rate from 24 bit 48000 Hz to 24 bit 96000 Hz, and even 32 bit 192000 Hz, and still weird sound.

Maybe it's just the motherboard and I need to wait for the DAC but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything in the setup process.

I would appreciate any help as a noob member of the HQ audio community 🙂

(p.s sorry for bad grammar)

~Leo

1 minute ago, NinJake said:

You should be fine to leave the sample rate at the standard 48000hz. What were you expecting out of these new headphones?

My English isn't great so I'll try to explain:

I basically feel the vocals are not good even compared to my buds, and the music isn't clean enough like it's a little bit muffed.

And I got an headache from 5 minutes of listening. 😕

~Leo

new headphone always sound werid.

Just now, AverageLeo said:

I basically feel the vocals are not good even compared to my buds, and the music isn't clean enough like it's a little bit muffed.

You sir need a amp to drive HD 650's

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

Just now, sub68 said:

True, I guess.

About the amp, as I said I got one on the way (Fosi Audio Q4) but from all the other resources I saw it's not really needed.

My motherboard is pretty powerful and set to Max amplifier on the new headphones configuration.

~Leo

7 minutes ago, sub68 said:

btw you misread... they're not 650s but 560S which are much easier to drive. Yes dedicated amp would be recommended but I don't think he'll see much as much of a difference than he would with 650s.

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

1 minute ago, Mo5 said:

btw you misread... they're not 650s but 560S which are much easier to drive.

Yes I miss read that.

yeah they don't need a amp.

7 minutes ago, AverageLeo said:

My motherboard is pretty powerful and set to Max amplifier on the new headphones configuration.

huh maybbe the DAC chip is dying.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

4 minutes ago, Mo5 said:

btw you misread... they're not 650s but 560S which are much easier to drive. Yes dedicated amp would be recommended but I don't think he'll see much as much of a difference than he would with 650s.

1 minute ago, sub68 said:

Yes I miss read that.

yeah they don't need a amp.

huh maybbe the DAC chip is dying.

There is nothing to setup on Windows 10 right?

~Leo

4 minutes ago, AverageLeo said:

There is nothing to setup on Windows 10 right?

You could check the EQ in your drivers to see if maybe that's not messed up for one. Just have it set to flat or neutral or whatever the most basic preset is (or you can turn it off if there's an option for that). Or in similar fashion maybe you have that spatial sound option on which could also be messing with audio.

Other than that you could try them on your phone to see if they sound the same.

Did you plug in the cable(s) all the way? You'd be surprised how often that's the issue.

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

10 minutes ago, Mo5 said:

You could check the EQ in your drivers to see if maybe that's not messed up for one. Just have it set to flat or neutral or whatever the most basic preset is (or you can turn it off if there's an option for that). Or in similar fashion maybe you have that spatial sound option on which could also be messing with audio.

Other than that you could try them on your phone to see if they sound the same.

Did you plug in the cable(s) all the way? You'd be surprised how often that's the issue.

EQ is natural, no effects are on, cable is connected.

The only thing I see and it's probably nothing, is the audio driver detect the headphones as a speaker (even tho I picked "Headphones").

https://gyazo.com/6ce8939139dcfd1018e9ab60f578b51f

https://gyazo.com/54472eb3508f59a75f3f87a8b1007616

Thanks, for replying BTW

~Leo

2 minutes ago, AverageLeo said:

EQ is natural, no effects are on, cable is connected.

The only thing I see and it's probably nothing, is the audio driver detect the headphones as a speaker (even tho I picked "Headphones").

https://gyazo.com/6ce8939139dcfd1018e9ab60f578b51f

https://gyazo.com/54472eb3508f59a75f3f87a8b1007616

Thanks, for replying BTW

having it show as speakers is normal they all do that. other than that idk what more you could do. the only other option is that they're broken or that you've been listening to "bad" audio for so long it's become the norm for you idk.

osu! profile

2 minutes ago, Mo5 said:

having it show as speakers is normal they all do that. other than that idk what more you could do. the only other option is that they're broken or that you've been listening to "bad" audio for so long it's become the norm for you idk.

Yeah, maybe it's just weird for me.

I don't think they're broken so hopefully I'll get used to it and maybe the DAC/AMP will do something.

~Leo

My guess is you're now experiencing open back headphones. Going from In-Ear buds to an open back headphone is going to sound dramatically different no matter what. It will definitely take a little bit of getting used to. It's possible an amp will help you, but you'll have to give it some time and listen to different genres. You may start to notice intricate details that you've never heard before, the clamping force of the headphones could also be giving you a headache, so be sure to rest but also keep using them to "wear" that clamping force down a bit.

You likely won't hear a "punchy bass" like you would from earbuds, however the bass should have more clarity rather than a simple amplified bass section of the EQ. Cheaper audio devices whether they are speakers or headphones/earbuds, will cover up the poor sound quality by boosting certain aspects, finally moving into higher quality audio takes a bit to get accustomed to. I know it took me a few weeks to fully appreciate "hi-fi" sound.

If they don't suit your needs after testing sufficiently... return and try some more! Maybe you'd like closed back headphones.

@NinJake has a point, sometimes it takes a little getting used to. I remember when I'd first tried a pair of planar mag can (HE400) after trying and owning a number of dynamic cans, it sounded weird and I was thinking peeps must have crappy hearing to think planar mag sounded good. 

But, after a short period, I guess my brain adjusted and I began to appreciate the difference in sound between dynamic and planar mag. I now have about equal number of planar mag cans and dynamic cans.

Same goes for me when it came to open and closed cans, I'd found close back cans to be less 'airy', too narrow though imaging was decent. That all changed when I'd had the opportunity to try a Denon AH-D7000, it blew me away. Liked it so much that I bought it, even bough a Lawton Lambskin Angled Pads to replace the already pretty good original pads. Even modded a Fostex TRP-50 and added a lambskin earpad, which is why I can also appreciate a closed back planar mag.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

10 hours ago, NinJake said:

My guess is you're now experiencing open back headphones. Going from In-Ear buds to an open back headphone is going to sound dramatically different no matter what. It will definitely take a little bit of getting used to. It's possible an amp will help you, but you'll have to give it some time and listen to different genres. You may start to notice intricate details that you've never heard before, the clamping force of the headphones could also be giving you a headache, so be sure to rest but also keep using them to "wear" that clamping force down a bit.

You likely won't hear a "punchy bass" like you would from earbuds, however the bass should have more clarity rather than a simple amplified bass section of the EQ. Cheaper audio devices whether they are speakers or headphones/earbuds, will cover up the poor sound quality by boosting certain aspects, finally moving into higher quality audio takes a bit to get accustomed to. I know it took me a few weeks to fully appreciate "hi-fi" sound.

If they don't suit your needs after testing sufficiently... return and try some more! Maybe you'd like closed back headphones.

2 hours ago, GamerDude said:

@NinJake has a point, sometimes it takes a little getting used to. I remember when I'd first tried a pair of planar mag can (HE400) after trying and owning a number of dynamic cans, it sounded weird and I was thinking peeps must have crappy hearing to think planar mag sounded good. 

But, after a short period, I guess my brain adjusted and I began to appreciate the difference in sound between dynamic and planar mag. I now have about equal number of planar mag cans and dynamic cans.

Same goes for me when it came to open and closed cans, I'd found close back cans to be less 'airy', too narrow though imaging was decent. That all changed when I'd had the opportunity to try a Denon AH-D7000, it blew me away. Liked it so much that I bought it, even bough a Lawton Lambskin Angled Pads to replace the already pretty good original pads. Even modded a Fostex TRP-50 and added a lambskin earpad, which is why I can also appreciate a closed back planar mag.

Thank you for the replies 🙂

I'm actually already getting used to the sound so I guess it was me.

Hopefully it will become better and better in the next days.

~Leo

It's probably not your amp/dac or other source. I had the HD560S and I don't like it. I got rid of it.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

On 8/11/2021 at 3:17 PM, sub68 said:

I know that this was a misread on your end, but I have the HD 6xx's - you do not "need" an Amp to drive them. Yes you can get more out of them that way, but I've used my 6xx's on every device I own (XBox One controller, iPhone 6S, iPhone XR, HP Spectre x360, HP ZBook v15 G5, Thunderbolt G2 Dock, etc) - obviously some of these devices have a pretty decent DAC/Amp installed in them, but some of them are pretty bog standard.

My 6xx's sound great on all of my devices.

On 8/12/2021 at 3:06 AM, AverageLeo said:

Thank you for the replies 🙂

I'm actually already getting used to the sound so I guess it was me.

Hopefully it will become better and better in the next days.

Have you tried the HD560S on a phone or different computer?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

but I have the HD 6xx's - you do not "need" an Amp

Ok, good to know 

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang