Can this psu handle this component at 50-60 percent load ?

samiur
Go to solution Solved by Roswell,
Just now, steelo said:

Perhaps it is overkill, yes. However, I try to always leave comfortable headroom for potential upgrades in the future.
Efficiency isn't going to suffer that badly.

The idea is that they can buy a PSU when they buy something that requires it instead of wasting the money now for no reason.

Psu is this one :  https://www.gigabyte.com/Power-Supply/GP-P450B#kf

PC Parts :

i5 9400

H310M M.2 2.0

Asus / MSI GTX 1660 Super or 1660Ti

8x2= 16GB DDR4 2133 MHZ

1x M.2 nvme ssd 128GB

1x 5400RPM Seagate HDD

PSU calculator says the load wattage would be 283Watt . So can this psu power the parts with ease ? Or should i invest on another psu ? 

Severely at a loss!!

"Can this psu handle this component at 50-60 percent load ?"

Such an odd way of stating the question....so, are you not expecting more than a 60% load on your CPU/GPU and components?

I would go with at least a quality 500W PSU personally.

The processor consumes at most 65W and the GPU consumes at most 125W (maybe up to 175W~ if you get a overclocked model). Add in 40W for your motherboard and another 25W~ for the rest of your components and you'll still be quite a bit under the 432W your PSU advertises on its 12V rail.

In the future you can find this stuff on Nvidia/Intel/AMD/whoever's product pages. They always list power consumption.

3 minutes ago, steelo said:

I would go with at least a quality 500W PSU personally.

Why? That build isn't going to go over 300W at full tilt. Getting a higher wattage unit will just decrease energy efficiency.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

in theory maybe but you could get a gently used quality power supply that gave your more wattage room so you're sitting comfy.

2 minutes ago, Roswell said:

The processor consumes at most 65W and the GPU consumes at most 125W (maybe up to 175W~ if you get a overclocked model). Add in 40W for your motherboard and another 25W~ for the rest of your components and you'll still be quite a bit under the 432W your PSU advertises on its 12V rail.

In the future you can find this stuff on Nvidia/Intel/AMD/whoever's product pages. They always list power consumption.

Why? That build isn't going to go over 300W at full tilt. Getting a higher wattage unit will just decrease energy efficiency.

Perhaps it is overkill, yes. However, I try to always leave comfortable headroom for potential upgrades in the future.

Just now, steelo said:

The idea is that they can buy a PSU when they buy something that requires it instead of wasting the money now for no reason.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

9 minutes ago, Roswell said:

Well, it depends on how you look at it. Yes, if you throw in a 1000W PSU for this system, you are wasting your money. However, installing one that is 100-200W above the minimum requirement allows for flexibility in the future.

Now, I'm not saying either one of us is 'right' or 'wrong', but this is how I look at things with the systems I build.

Keep what you have there's no need up upgrade unless you plan on getting higher wattage parts in the future. 

Not with that psu no. Those are 100% guaranteed to fail. They are HORRIBLE and are guaranteed to die and then take your system with you, catch fire or do whatever else it does. These are gigabyte gp units are terrible terrible terrible psu's. Do not use them.

Your system can run fine on something like a cx450 but if you want some more upgrade headroom maybe get a cx550 or even cx650 all are in sale as they are end of life products and pretty good deals right now.

1 minute ago, steelo said:

Well, it depends on how you look at it. Yes, if you throw in a 1000W PSU for this system, you are wasting your money. However, installing one that is 100-200W above the minimum requirement allows for flexibility in the future.

I got that psu for my HTPC build keeping in my mind that i could a get a GTX 1660 series card and some additional storage upgrade . But now is that time for the upgrade . So if my current 450 watt can power those component without any hassle then i am not willing to waste more money on a new psu. If it works i will keep using it with the mentioned parts . And when i will upgrade to more powerful parts i will grab a good psu . Thats my point.

14 minutes ago, samiur said:

I got that psu for my HTPC build keeping in my mind that i could a get a GTX 1660 series card and some additional storage upgrade . But now is that time for the upgrade . So if my current 450 watt can power those component without any hassle then i am not willing to waste more money on a new psu. If it works i will keep using it with the mentioned parts . And when i will upgrade to more powerful parts i will grab a good psu . Thats my point.

If that's what you currently have in there, then you're fine. If it works, it works. However, keep in mind that you have very little headroom if you want to do any serious upgrades. 

Another concern that I failed to mention before is that your PSU is borderline 'sketchy' (I believe it's in the bottom or second to bottom tier on here) but hey, it's your money.

53 minutes ago, samiur said:

Psu is this one :  https://www.gigabyte.com/Power-Supply/GP-P450B#kf

PC Parts :

i5 9400

H310M M.2 2.0

Asus / MSI GTX 1660 Super or 1660Ti

8x2= 16GB DDR4 2133 MHZ

1x M.2 nvme ssd 128GB

1x 5400RPM Seagate HDD

PSU calculator says the load wattage would be 283Watt . So can this psu power the parts with ease ? Or should i invest on another psu ? 

Severely at a loss!!

450w is not a problem at all. The problem is that PSU is shit made by MEIC 😛😛😛