adarw

so why dont they start at a instead?

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

Just now, adarw said:

Floppy drives were A: and B:

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

what

Umm I didnt quite get your question in the first read but the answer above did

Edited by RockSolid1106
On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

1 minute ago, RockSolid1106 said:

what

It seems you never used Windows operating system in your life.

image.png.b6fa087d26a3dc687914292e0c835dea.png

Windows will always start assigning letters starting from letter C, OP is asking why it is not starting from A.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

5 minutes ago, Levent said:

It seems you never used Windows operating system in your life.

image.png.b6fa087d26a3dc687914292e0c835dea.png

Windows will always start assigning letters starting from letter C, OP is asking why it is not starting from A.

I would have understood if the OP had used A: and C: instead of just a and c, which confused me

Im dumb

On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

5 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

Floppy drives were A: and B:

Though that's a VERY legacy thing. I haven't had a floppy drive for last 17-18 years, basically when I started using USB drives to install Windows I stopped using floppy drives. Windows XP time I'd say (Windows 98 SE had floppy disk for some sort of authentication bootstrap). Haven't had optical drive in my system for last 8-10 years. Can't even remember exactly as it is so far back.

10 minutes ago, adarw said:

I could've sworn there was a techquickie episode about this though I can't seem to find it. above answers are accurate though. It's just how it's been for so long it and changing it wouldn't make anything work better

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

11 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Though that's a VERY legacy thing. I haven't had a floppy drive for last 17-18 years, basically when I started using USB drives to install Windows I stopped using floppy drives. Windows XP time I'd say (Windows 98 SE had floppy disk for some sort of authentication bootstrap). Haven't had optical drive in my system for last 8-10 years. Can't even remember exactly as it is so far back.

But it is the reason. Now many programs are aware of the root HDD being at C:/ . If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

9 hours ago, adarw said:

There is no actual reason. The concept of drive letters is a DOS concept that got carried over to MS-DOS and then, Windows.

In the old days, computers didn't have an HDD's. Waaaayyy too expensive and too big. The way it worked is that you would have the OS (DOS based OS, such as MS-DOS), be on a floppy which the user needed to insert first before turning on the system. The system would read the floppy drive and start the OS. Being the first drive, it had the letter A:\. The floppy could now be removed (as the OS would be in RAM), and a software floppy could be inserted and loaded. Then this was annoying, and so for those who could afford it, systems with 2 floppy drives was a thing (also allowed floppy copying and allowing you to run a a large software that could not be fully loaded in RAM and allowed another disk to load/save your project being used by that software). So, A:\ and B:\ were floppy drives.

Later, HDD's became.... """"""affordable""""""

Spoiler

1981 ad:

morrow_hd_large.jpg.45c0f91a1339ab9936288b9e7ac3bb92.jpgg

That makes it $11,044.19 US for that 10MB model in today's money. Scalper price 3090 are now looking quite affordable sounding 😂

As a system that would have this newfangled "HDD" technology drive would typically be in a fully loaded one with 2 floppy drives, it got the designation of C:\.

Then mix to simplify support, manuals, and so on, systems without a secondary floppy drive and only one HDD: the HDD would still be C:\

At the same time, more or less, OSs became fancier, doing a lot more things for the user, and making PCs easier to use than ever, needed to be installed on the HDD due to size increase (and also gain a notable speed increase, as HDD were much faster than floppies). So, by that time, Window defaulted itself to C:\. People knew that A:\ and B:\ were reserved for floppy drives, and C:\ was for the HDD.

So, in the end, there is no advantage in changing this. Better to be left as is (as it would cause more problems than help). And today, it is just a nice piece of computer history, and this makes an interesting conversation and highlight how far we have come.

44 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

There is no actual reason. The concept of drive letters is a DOS concept that got carried over to MS-DOS and then, Windows.

In the old days, computers didn't have an HDD's. Waaaayyy too expensive and too big. The way it worked is that you would have the OS (DOS based OS, such as MS-DOS), be on a floppy which the user needed to insert first before turning on the system. The system would read the floppy drive and start the OS. Being the first drive, it had the letter A:\. The floppy could now be removed (as the OS would be in RAM), and a software floppy could be inserted and loaded. Then this was annoying, and so for those who could afford it, systems with 2 floppy drives was a thing (also allowed floppy copying and allowing you to run a a large software that could not be fully loaded in RAM and allowed another disk to load/save your project being used by that software). So, A:\ and B:\ were floppy drives.

Later, HDD's became.... """"""affordable""""""

Reveal hidden contents

1981 ad:

morrow_hd_large.jpg.45c0f91a1339ab9936288b9e7ac3bb92.jpg

That makes it $11,044.19 US for that 10MB model in today's money. Scalper price 3090 are now looking quite affordable sounding 😂

As a system that would have this newfangled "HDD" technology drive would typically be in a fully loaded one with 2 floppy drives, it got the designation of C:\.

Then mix to simplify support, manuals, and so on, systems without a secondary floppy drive and only one HDD: the HDD would still be C:\

At the same time, more or less, OSs became fancier, doing a lot more things for the user, and making PCs easier to use than ever, needed to be installed on the HDD due to size increase (and also gain a notable speed increase, as HDD were much faster than floppies). So, by that time, Window defaulted itself to C:\. People knew that A:\ and B:\ were reserved for floppy drives, and C:\ was for the HDD.

So, in the end, there is no advantage in changing this. Better to be left as is (as it would cause more problems than help), where it is, today, just a nice piece of computer history, and make an interesting conversation and highlight how far we have come.

very informative!  I never knew OSes were put on ram(perhaps we could do that with ddr5 and make super computers lol), and 11k for 10 mb harddrives WOW. thanks!

-----------------

#

9 minutes ago, adarw said:

very informative!  I never knew OSes were put on ram(perhaps we could do that with ddr5 and make super computers lol), and 11k for 10 mb harddrives WOW. thanks!

Well if you have 64GB of RAM, you could do this today. The problem is that back in DOS days and even early version of Windows, is that they were designed in mind that they could not store stuff on itself. You didn't have a registry, you didn't have system update delivered over the internet (let alone the internet). If you put everything in RAM today, changing OS settings would be gone when you reboot. You'll need a system to copy the data back and forth between disk and RAM, and transfering 64GB of data at startup isn't instant. Your top of the line RAID0 SSD read speed is way too slow to take less than a second.

The way forward would be SSDs being just as fast as RAM on small files when it reads them. Sadly, we are very far away from this.

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

Well if you have 64GB of RAM, you could do this today. The problem is that back in DOS days and even early version of Windows, is that they were designed in mind that they could not store stuff on itself. You didn't have a registry, you didn't have system update delivered over the internet (let alone the internet). If you put everything in RAM today, changing OS settings would be gone when you reboot. You'll need a system to copy the data back and forth between disk and RAM, and transfering 64GB of data at startup isn't instant. Your top of the line RAID0 SSD read speed is way too slow to take less than a second.

The way forward would be SSDs being just as fast as RAM on small files when it reads them. Sadly, we are very far away from this.

oh haha but if we never turned off the computer/server can we put the os on the ram.

-----------------

#

3 hours ago, adarw said:

oh haha but if we never turned off the computer/server can we put the os on the ram.

Grimm I guess... 🙂

Just remember all be gone once you lose power, and maybe restarts too. Not sure on that one.

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Grimm I guess... 🙂

Just remember all be gone once you lose power, and maybe restarts too. Not sure on that one.

haha lol

-----------------

#