Salvaging a 1070 from my laptop?

WildWestRonin
Go to solution Solved by WhitetailAni,

Your laptop does not have a regular GTX 1070 graphics card in it, so no, this is not possible. It instead has a GTX 1070 die mounted to the laptop's motherboard.

in these trying times (plus I'm new to actually building PCs, although I've been picking up knowledge for years) I bought a used GTX 1650, not the refreshed/newer version, but I realized that the GPU I have in my laptop is actually a 1070, which is about 30% stronger across the board, on paper. While I haven't got tons of experience with computers I am equipped with soldering equipment, a full complement of normal tools, and I know others with more experience (with tools and with computers); does anybody know of this being done before (and what survived the operation), or can I write off this option already as a waste of time and effort? I'm not chasing a marginal improvement and I still want a stable system, and am even optimistic at swapping the cards (low form factor 1650) but both cards are obviously used, and I have them both in person.

Why not just use the laptop?

It's near impossible to remove and replace a GPU die from something like a graphics card or laptop motherboard without expensive specialized tools.
Even then, you can't do anything with it unless you have a 1070 PCB to put the GPU die on.

why no dark mode?
Current:

Watercooled Eluktronics THICC-17 (Clevo X170SM-G):
CPU: i9-10900k @ 4.9GHz all core
GPU: RTX 2080 Super (Max P 200W)
RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) @ 3200MTs

Storage: 512GB HP EX NVMe SSD, 2TB Silicon Power NVMe SSD
Displays: Asus ROG XG-17 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), IPS 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), Gigabyte M32U 4k@144Hz (G-Sync), External Laptop panel (LTN173HT02) 1080p@120Hz

Asus ROG Flow Z13 (GZ301ZE) W/ Increased Power Limit:
CPU: i9-12900H @ Up to 5.0GHz all core
- dGPU: RTX 3050 Ti 4GB

- eGPU: RTX 3080 (mobile) XGm 16GB
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 5200MTs

Storage: 1TB NVMe SSD, 1TB MicroSD
Display: 1200p@120Hz

Asus Zenbook Duo (UX481FLY):

CPU: i7-10510U @ Up to 4.3 GHz all core
- GPU: MX 250
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 2133MTs

Storage: 128GB SATA M.2 (NVMe no worky)
Display: Main 1080p@60Hz + Screnpad Plus 1920x515@60Hz

Custom Game Server:

CPUs: Ryzen 7 7700X @ 5.1GHz all core

RAM: 128GB (4x32GB) DDR5 @ whatever it'll boot at xD (I think it's 3600MTs)

Storage: 2x 1TB WD Blue NVMe SSD in RAID 1, 4x 10TB HGST Enterprise HDD in RAID Z1

Waste of Effort IMO.

Too many factors to go through really.

Not worth it.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Thank you guys, even though the mad scientist and engineer within me are sad, I appreciate y'alls' input.

Well there are options.

But those are higly dependent on the notebook and the type.
Is it a thin and light dont even bother.
Big desktop replacements might have a seperate GPU board, and in the past there were notebooks with MxM slots.
Like My old Acer 8930 has MxM card in it, theoreticly i could replace it with a newer card. Just the BIOS wont accept it. Only a very limited amount of them are actually programmed in.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

1 hour ago, HanZie82 said:

Like My old Acer 8930 has MxM card in it, theoreticly i could replace it with a newer card. Just the BIOS wont accept it. Only a very limited amount of them are actually programmed in.

Mine isn't tiny but if this is the case, it doesn't seem worth pursuing, thank you!

I once saw a tutorial (written, with pics, not a video) how someone frankensteinered a MX850 on a MX840 board or something  - it was pretty incredible (including lapping the die or heatsink to make it fit) - he also said it cost him 500 bucks for the GPU (lol)

Unfortunately I cant find it anymore, it was some obscure overclocking forum…  😓

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity