Broken monitor

kucharczykt

If its on a laptop sometimes you can replace the screen at the hinges and its pretty easy, but if its a desktop display it would mean replacing the panel itself and at that point it would be enough to just buy a new monitor.

Sorry I probably edited my post. Refresh plz. Build Specs Below.

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5900x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F
  • RAM
    32 GB (2X8) Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CAS 16
  • GPU
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3070
  • Case
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
  • Storage
    Sabrent 1 TB TLC PCI 4.0 NVMe M.2
  • PSU
    NZXT C850 Gold PSU
  • Display(s)
    MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34" UWQHD
  • Cooling
    Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT 240mm
  • Operating System
    Windows 11

Just now, mr fobs said:

If its on a laptop sometimes you can replace the screen at the hinges and its pretty easy, but if its a desktop display it would mean replacing the panel itself and at that point it would be enough to just buy a new monitor.

It's a laptop but a very cheap one that I don't think is worth spending the money on a replacement.

This is probably one of the dumbest things I've said on this site but I have quite a few defective laptops lieing around. If I took a model of the same screen size and cannibalized it would I be able to put that screen into my recently defective laptop?

3 minutes ago, kucharczykt said:

It's a laptop but a very cheap one that I don't think is worth spending the money on a replacement.

This is probably one of the dumbest things I've said on this site but I have quite a few defective laptops lieing around. If I took a model of the same screen size and cannibalized it would I be able to put that screen into my recently defective laptop?

If your donor machine is exactly the same model, yes it will be fine.

Case - Phanteks Evolv X | PSU - EVGA 650w Gold Rated | Mobo - ASUS Strix x570-f | CPU - AMD r9 3900x | RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz @ 3600mhz | GPU - EVGA nVidia 2080s 8GB  | OS Drive - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCI Gen 4 | Game Drive - WD 1tb NVMe Gen 3  |  Storage - 7TB formatted
Cooled by a crap load of Noctua fans and Corsair H150i RGB Pro XT

4 minutes ago, cacoe said:

Would it have to be the same model or just screen size. I might be able to do same brand but I don't have an identical model.

1 minute ago, kucharczykt said:

Would it have to be the same model or just screen size. I might be able to do same brand but I don't have an identical model.

Highly dependant on the individual panel/connectors/power requirement. See if you can find the individual panel product codes (they'll be on there somewhere) and spec sheets.

Case - Phanteks Evolv X | PSU - EVGA 650w Gold Rated | Mobo - ASUS Strix x570-f | CPU - AMD r9 3900x | RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz @ 3600mhz | GPU - EVGA nVidia 2080s 8GB  | OS Drive - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCI Gen 4 | Game Drive - WD 1tb NVMe Gen 3  |  Storage - 7TB formatted
Cooled by a crap load of Noctua fans and Corsair H150i RGB Pro XT

5 minutes ago, cacoe said:

1 minute ago, kucharczykt said:

it doesn't need to be exact but it does need to have the same plug in the same location and have matching mounting holes. This can be challenging but there are probably a half a dozen displays that will work for any given model.

11 minutes ago, CWALD said:

it doesn't need to be exact but it does need to have the same plug in the same location and have matching mounting holes. This can be challenging but there are probably a half a dozen displays that will work for any given model.

It does have to be one of the EXACT MODELS THAT THIS LAPTOP SUPPORTS. Because just because the ribbon cable fits DOES NOT MEAN IT WORKS as often wires are swapped around on equal looking ribbon cables on different generations.

What laptop model is it (exact model number is usually printed on the bottom)?  Is it a touch screen or a regular screen?

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

It does have to be one of the EXACT MODELS THAT THIS LAPTOP SUPPORTS. Because just because the ribbon cable fits DOES NOT MEAN IT WORKS as often wires are swapped around on equal looking ribbon cables on different generations.

That might explain why my brightness settings no longer work on my Lenovo then, although the 4k display on a 2014 Lenovo is super nice. 🙂 guess you either have to google every display you have to see if its compatible or just use trial and error.

31 minutes ago, VIVO-US said:

What laptop model is it (exact model number is usually printed on the bottom)?  Is it a touch screen or a regular screen?

It's a regular screen. Model is A115-31-C23T

I have good news and I've got bad news.

Good news: She lives!

Bad news: duct tape may be used for further assembly

Looks like the LCD screen alone for these runs in the $85 to $95 range.  So if you ever want to replace the cracked screen with a new one, it's a bit expensive, but still cheaper than a replacement laptop.  If you do a search for A115-31-C23T screen replacement, a few good results should come up right away!

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

It turns on and the screen works fine but windows is still angry. Why?

Just now, kucharczykt said:

It turns on and the screen works fine but windows is still angry. Why?

Wait nevermind it just needed a restart

3 hours ago, CWALD said:

That might explain why my brightness settings no longer work on my Lenovo then, although the 4k display on a 2014 Lenovo is super nice. 🙂 guess you either have to google every display you have to see if its compatible or just use trial and error.

Often there is a teeny tiny difference on the board, bios, display controller and that little mismatch is enough to cause issues like this.