[DEAD] "Old Goat" The 775 Shuttle is reborn! - Nope, Bricked it. Project is Dead.

d33g33

You didn't quote anything here? but I'm assuming you're talking about the 750 Ti FTW? It's any interesting opinion. I have had a EVGA GTX670 SuperClocked and it was a terrible overclocker and I was very dissapointed. I said I would never go EVGA again. Then I bought my GTX 780 Ti... Superclocked... another EVGA card and again it's not a great overclocker.

According to PC Per the PNY card destroys the EVGA card video below

I also thought to myself... maybe I should go a full new rig for the media center PC, a Xeon, mATX with SLI 750 Ti's... it was very appealing! Maybe it will get replaced after my end of year bonus, we'll see how the rest of the Maxwell cards turn out...

I have the EVGA 680 Classified. I OCed it a bit but I didn't buy it for that reason. I bought it because of the 4GB of memory and the life-time warranty. Also EVGA's software is the best. The reason why I like the 750 Ti so much is because it's bloody tiny, uses barely any power, doesn't need external power and it performs better then a 480. OC it if you want but I don't see the point. I don't see the point in OCing any card if I am honest but that is because electricity costs an arm and a leg over here in the UK.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

You didn't quote anything here? but I'm assuming you're talking about the 750 Ti FTW? It's any interesting opinion. I have had a EVGA GTX670 SuperClocked and it was a terrible overclocker and I was very dissapointed. I said I would never go EVGA again. Then I bought my GTX 780 Ti... Superclocked... another EVGA card and again it's not a great overclocker.

According to PC Per the PNY card destroys the EVGA card video below

I also thought to myself... maybe I should go a full new rig for the media center PC, a Xeon, mATX with SLI 750 Ti's... it was very appealing! Maybe it will get replaced after my end of year bonus, we'll see how the rest of the Maxwell cards turn out...

the 750 ti doesn't support sli.

Specs: Cpu: i7-4790k@4.5ghz 1.19v Cooler: H100i Motherboard: Msi z97 g55 SLI  Ram: Kingston HyperX Black 16gb 1600mhz GPU: XFX R9 290X Core Edition PSU: Corsair HX850  Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Force series 3 120gb ssd, sandisk ultra 256gb ssd, 1tb blue drive  Keyboard: Rosewill RK9100x Mouse: DeathAdder  Monitors: 3 22 inch on a triple monitor mount

Woohoo hoo hooooooo!

So this bad boy arrived today, sooner than I expected as I had to get it from the states. I don't think there is any stock anywhere in Aust yet...

dyut9eA.jpg

Nice meaty pump shouldn't have any issues with the extra (very small) GPU block i'm adding to it.

Q3aOnBi.jpg

The way the reservoir sits on the radiator means the only way I can mount the fan is in a push config rather than pull, no big deal. I'm swapping the stock fans for 2150rpm Gentle Typhoons that I will undervolt.

hNmxzMa.jpg

A closer look at the pump and CPU block combo, doubled checked manual for 775 socket compatibility, no problems :)

SBKWGCh.jpg

Unfortunately a couple of the fins have been bent during shipping, not too bad, they should straighten out easily enough.

2tY5wOy.jpg

The replacement GPU has been shipped today, the store is quite close to my work so it should arrive tomorrow. I think that's nearly everything before I start cutting this bad boy up! I am waiting delivery of some LED's and I'll need to pick up some acrylic. I still use the HTPC every day so I'm collecting all my parts and I should be able to knock this out in a weekend.

Stay tuned for more!

Very nice

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

i cant wait to see this finished! I like the cross between old and new!

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I don't get why anyone cares about the fins being bent, water doesn't flow through them, water only flows between the horizontal strips of metal, its them that you should be worrying about.

The fins are for heat dissipation and them being bent doesn't decrease their surface area because you can't compact a metal under normal conditions or indeed under any conditions.

The only reason you should worry about bent fins is if you want clean aesthetics but the fans cover it anyway.

A few bent fins affect air flow so minutely that it is pointless trying to straightening them.

Trust me i'm a car mechanic, water cooling enthusiast and I have did tests on both my rig and several other computers I have built for people :D

Edit: Nice rig so far, keep it up ;D

I don't get why anyone cares about the fins being bent, water doesn't flow through them, water only flows between the horizontal strips of metal, its them that you should be worrying about.

The fins are for heat dissipation and them being bent doesn't decrease their surface area because you can't compact a metal under normal conditions or indeed under any conditions.

The only reason you should worry about bent fins is if you want clean aesthetics but the fans cover it anyway.

A few bent fins affect air flow so minutely that it is pointless trying to straightening them.

Trust me i'm a car mechanic, water cooling enthusiast and I have did tests on both my rig and several other computers I have built for people :D

Edit: Nice rig so far, keep it up ;D

Perhaps true, but if I were to pick from being lazy and having bent fins, or putting in a teeny weeny bit of effort and having straight ones, I'd chose the latter.

In my opinion a few bent fins on a car radiator and a few bent fins on a 240 are in 2 completely different categories. Those bent fins could be 8% if of my surface area on a 240. Do I NEED that 8% back? No. But I don't need to liquid cool and old 775 socket either in a case no longer than the radiator itself. Thanks, but I'll have my 8% back.

Wow this is great, this is what I want to do (upgrade to a C2Q, get a 240L and everything) except it would be my main gaming 'rig'...

Very Nice and subbed!

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

Wow this is great, this is what I want to do (upgrade to a C2Q, get a 240L and everything) except it would be my main gaming 'rig'...

Very Nice and subbed!

That's alright mate, if you keep an eye out you'll find a Core 2 Quad for a good price. This wasn't the exact one I wanted but it was good enough. This is my HTPC but because of the 750Ti and the 780Ti in main main rig could prove to be a very good steam box. The limiting factor of this us I can't have more than 4gb of memory.

Perhaps true, but if I were to pick from being lazy and having bent fins, or putting in a teeny weeny bit of effort and having straight ones, I'd chose the latter.

In my opinion a few bent fins on a car radiator and a few bent fins on a 240 are in 2 completely different categories. Those bent fins could be 8% if of my surface area on a 240. Do I NEED that 8% back? No. But I don't need to liquid cool and old 775 socket either in a case no longer than the radiator itself. Thanks, but I'll have my 8% back.

Oh ok understandable, my efficient mind was talking there, Usually I'm stressed for time and throw systems together "within reason" because I'll have a few to build or i'm working but that makes sense if you have the time "Literally I have none :(    2 jobs+ Pc building"

But I suppose since it's your build you can do what you want :D

Apologies if I came across as a dick but Good Luck with the build nevertheless 

Oh ok understandable, my efficient mind was talking there, Usually I'm stressed for time and throw systems together "within reason" because I'll have a few to build or i'm working but that makes sense if you have the time "Literally I have none :(    2 jobs+ Pc building"

But I suppose since it's your build you can do what you want :D

Apologies if I came across as a dick but Good Luck with the build nevertheless 

Ha it's no stress, everyone has different levels as to what they work to and depending on their workload at the time I'm sure that changes.

I have a new born (though nearly 3 months old already) and have noticed a significant lack of time for toys now surprisingly. I just try and line up everything and then when I get a couple of hours knock out as much as I can. Be prepared!

Oh hey there delivery man, whatcha got for me :D

Ydl8Jdq.jpg

aQ6LwMe.jpg

IRONICALLY, the waterblock doesn't fit this card either... 

However, I have had a look and found what I think is an easy fix... It's so sweet I cant spoil it, stay tuned.

God that is a sexy card...

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

God that is a sexy card...

Agreed, though I do wish evga would make the logo on the fans a bit easier to see. I thought the fans were scratched when I first saw the design.

Build LogsPCX - A HTPC/Low End Gaming PC in a Playstation 1 Chasis (90-ish% done) | Yamaha PC-350 (Computer in a RD-350 engine) --> Coming Soon | Mediocre Terrors: Yet Another Prodigy Build Log

That's alright mate, if you keep an eye out you'll find a Core 2 Quad for a good price. This wasn't the exact one I wanted but it was good enough. This is my HTPC but because of the 750Ti and the 780Ti in main main rig could prove to be a very good steam box. The limiting factor of this us I can't have more than 4gb of memory.

Yeah, I am waiting. I saw a Q6600 listed for $20 on Craigslist about a year ago, I should have jumped on it then!

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

The card looks great and 2 fans seems useless on that low power card

CPU-- AMD FX-8320 (Stock), Motherboard-- ASUS M5A99FX PRO R 2.0, RAM-- Team 8gb 1600Mhz, GPU-- Sapphire 7870 GHz with OC Edition, Case-- NZXT Tempest 210, PSU-- Corsair CX600m, HDD, 1tb Seagate & 2tb WD External, Monitor-- Dell S2240M IPS Display, Keyboard/Mouse-- Some Logitech keyboard and some Dell mouse, Speakers-- Logitech Z533

Very nice card.

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

Agreed, though I do wish evga would make the logo on the fans a bit easier to see. I thought the fans were scratched when I first saw the design.

I like it since it isn't in your face, it's kinda nice not always noticing it.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

So this is an update I've trying to get to for a while, being a new dad who would have thought I'd have so little spare time now, hahahaha :D

If you've been following this you will know I bought a XSPC Universal GPU Waterblock for a GTX750Ti, I originally bought a Galaxy GTX750Ti OC Slim. It only occupied 1 PCI slot but the whole thing turned into a mess... Because it was a 'slim' version the whole PCB was compressed, including the heatsink mounting holes. I did have some thoughts how I could have made this work but in the end I sold the card off at a $30 loss and bought a EVGA GTX750Ti FTW :D

Now, I assumed that when this arrived as it had the standard mounting holes it would fit my GPU waterblock fine. Nope. Not even. However...

There are 4 screws in the base of the block that line up perfectly with the heatsink mounting holes, If i can extend a thread off that, id be laughing, right?

Here is the naked PCB and waterblock where you can see the waterblock screws line up with the PCB heatsink mounting holes.

K5sKlZn.jpg

So this is the screw removed from the waterblock, hmm a big taper...

ftTKUOI.jpg

I must replicate this... but how!? I know... some micro engineering!

I'll file deeznutz! into little cones!

GTcIXHP.jpg

Now I need a thread to go into the waterblock and then through the PCB... Hmmm I know some 30mm M3 buttonheads for radiators will do. Chop Chop! (sorry for the horrible pictures)

88QrKgB.jpg

Now just thread the cone shaped nuts onto the M3 thread, Krazy Glue apparently works tops on metal so I gave it a go, it's really only to hold the cones in place while I thread it down into place.

d5qtfc6.jpg

Using a motherboard stand-off on the end of the thread allowed me to make sure it was nice and tight in the waterblock

8owCaY1.jpg

Success!!! The recess of the nut is good inside, well below the plain of the base of the waterblock

VE3SZ9s.jpg

All 4 installed

IpC7i0W.jpg

2 stacked plastic washers were about right to stand the waterblock off the PCB but still touch the die of the GPU. I ended up removing 1 plastic washer from each and replacing that with a fabric one.

hVXVNjk.jpg

Voodoo! I actually ran into some trouble pushing the threads through the holes and took a drill to the PCB, enlarging the holes from 3.0mm to 3.5mm, whats the worst that could happen :P

Using the springs that came with the GPU waterblock I installed these with washers to give a constant pressure on the die but not to much...

KD3mgbP.jpg

Taaaaaaaaaadaaaaaaaaaaa!

I'm quite proud of myself :D

3eOs1wY.jpg

Thanks for stopping by nearly ready to start cutting!

I like that block