Airflow - Perfect? Or Not.

Empire24453

Evening people, Does this image of the cooling seems right?

Two 140mm fans from front blowing into the case for the AIO radiator that's mounted in the front, Then two 140mm AIO fans blowing out from the radiator into the case. Then 1x 120mm and 2x 140mm fans from the bac and on top of the case as seen on the image blowing air from inside and out of the case. 

Pro-M-4z.jpg.9a2f0238a42b5083385fa1b61efbb2fa.jpg

Before I had all fans going out of case LOL

This is a good airflow model.

It's not perfect, but it's the logical one.
"perfect" would perhaps be the "breathing case":

I edit my posts more often than not

Something to consider:

Mounting the CPU Rad in the front will improve CPU temps at the expense of GPU temps. Likewise, mounting it on top will improve GPU temps at the expense of CPU temps. I personally tend to go for the latter, since a cooler GPU translates more directly to improved game performance.

BabyBlu (Primary): 

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ up to 5.3GHz, 5.0GHz all-core, delidded
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 @ 4000MHz 16-18-18-34
  • GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Sea Hawk EK X, 2070MHz core, 8000MHz mem
  • Case: Phanteks Evolv X
  • Storage: XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB, 3x ADATASU800 1TB (RAID 0), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
  • PSU: Corsair HX1000i
  • Display: MSI MPG341CQR 34" 3440x1440 144Hz Freesync, Dell S2417DG 24" 2560x1440 165Hz Gsync
  • Cooling: Custom water loop (CPU & GPU), Radiators: 1x140mm(Back), 1x280mm(Top), 1x420mm(Front)
  • Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB (Cherry MX Brown)
  • Mouse: MasterMouse MM710
  • Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB

Roxanne (Wife Build):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ up to 5.0GHz, 4.8Ghz all-core, relidded w/ LM
  • Motherboard: Asus Z97A
  • RAM: G.Skill Sniper 4x8GB DDR3-2400 @ 10-12-12-24
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 w/ LM
  • Case: Corsair Vengeance C70, w/ Custom Side-Panel Window
  • Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Silicon Power A80 2TB NVME
  • PSU: Corsair AX760
  • Display: Samsung C27JG56 27" 2560x1440 144Hz Freesync
  • Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB
  • Keyboard: GMMK TKL(Kailh Box White)
  • Mouse: Glorious Model O-
  • Headset: SteelSeries Arctis 7

BigBox (HTPC):

• CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3600 @ 3600MHz 14-14-14-28
  • GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X Plus OC, de-shrouded, LM TIM, replaced mem therm pads
  • Case: Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage: SP A80 1TB, WD Black SN770 2TB
  • PSU: Corsair SF600 Gold w/ NF-A9x14
  • Display: Samsung QN90A 65" (QLED, 4K, 120Hz, HDR, VRR)
  • Cooling: Thermalright AXP-100 Copper w/ NF-A12x15
  • Keyboard/Mouse: Rii i4
  • Controllers: 4X Xbox One & 2X N64 (with USB)
  • Sound: Denon AVR S760H with 5.1.2 Atmos setup.

Harmonic (NAS/Game/Plex/Other Server):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 6700
  • Motherboard: ASRock FATAL1TY H270M
  • RAM: 64GB DDR4-2133
  • GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530
  • Case: Fractal Design Define 7
  • HDD: 3X Seagate Exos X16 14TB in RAID 5
  • SSD: Inland Premium 512GB NVME, Sabrent 1TB NVME
  • Optical: BDXL WH14NS40 flashed to WH16NS60
  • PSU: Corsair CX450
  • Display: None
  • Cooling: Noctua NH-U14S
  • Keyboard/Mouse: None

NAS:

• Synology DS216J
  • 2x8TB WD Red NAS HDDs in RAID 1. 8TB usable space

What case is that?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

It's Phanteks Enthoo Pro, mid size tower. Can't have AIO mounted on top since there is no clearance 

5 minutes ago, Empire24453 said:

It's Phanteks Enthoo Pro, mid size tower. Can't have AIO mounted on top since there is no clearance 

It's a fine case but older and a LOT of better cases for airflow are out now so if you haven't bought it yet you might want to not buy this.

Either way DO NOT mount a rad to the front it will be lower than the pump thus all air will collect in the pump shortening it's life, providing poor cooling due to air being in the way of the water and be quite loud. This case was NOT made for watercooling in the slightest.

@jaslion I had the case since 2018. Over three years old now. I'm aware of how AIO works that is why I try to put the AIO as high as I can 😉  so that the pump is lower then the top of the radiator, liquid box location. 

c9JlKo4.jpg

1 hour ago, Empire24453 said:

@jaslion I had the case since 2018. Over three years old now. I'm aware of how AIO works that is why I try to put the AIO as high as I can 😉  so that the pump is lower then the top of the radiator, liquid box location. 

c9JlKo4.jpg

On that pic all fans are exhaust.

That is also a wide case. You really cant fit that rad on roof using the offset mounting?

All these schematics work in theory, but it's not really how heat moves inside. I have an extra 80mm fan that feeds air specifically under the graphic card from the front because the front case fans just don't push enough air directly to graphic card. I also recently created a divider from a sheet of transparent plastic that divides feeding of cold intake air to said 80mm fan for graphic card and then it's slope going up to the 240mm AiO on the top of the case. Below the divider air exhausted from graphic card is guided to the rear exhaust so it entirely bypasses AiO radiator on the top. Otherwise all the heat from graphic card was just pulled into the AiO radiator and rear fan only got tiny portion of it. Now it gets all of it.

5 hours ago, Jeppes said:

That is also a wide case. You really cant fit that rad on roof using the offset mounting?

Goes front and top, however since the ram sticks are high as they are RGB, time your radiator and fans are mounted it's over the ram sticks however the sticks I got are far higher and won't fit.

5 hours ago, Jeppes said:

On that pic all fans are exhaust.

I agree with Jeppes, those fans on the radiator look like they are blowing out the front of the case. If you flipped the fans on the rad to be intake then you're good to go.

11 hours ago, RejZoR said:

All these schematics work in theory, but it's not really how heat moves inside. I have an extra 80mm fan that feeds air specifically under the graphic card from the front because the front case fans just don't push enough air directly to graphic card. I also recently created a divider from a sheet of transparent plastic that divides feeding of cold intake air to said 80mm fan for graphic card and then it's slope going up to the 240mm AiO on the top of the case. Below the divider air exhausted from graphic card is guided to the rear exhaust so it entirely bypasses AiO radiator on the top. Otherwise all the heat from graphic card was just pulled into the AiO radiator and rear fan only got tiny portion of it. Now it gets all of it.

you have a pic of it?

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

6 hours ago, Empire24453 said:

Goes front and top, however since the ram sticks are high as they are RGB, time your radiator and fans are mounted it's over the ram sticks however the sticks I got are far higher and won't fit.

open-grille.png?trim=1,1&bg-color=000&pa

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

you have a pic of it?

Here you go. This is of course just a test phase and it looks a bit ghetto as it's not fit perfectly and I'd prefer if graphic cards pass through exhaust would also be routed to the back, but that's just small portion of heat so it's fine. The plastic sheet goes all the way from motherboard to the opposing side so there is no gap except at RAM and AiO block height.

AiO tubes are a bit in a way, but I think it separates most of the airflow and they neatly hold sheet in place. Main issue with AiO on top is that it's being fed with hot air from graphic card even though airflow from front should in theory eliminate that, but in practice, it doesn't. Same for graphic card. In theory, it should get air from front fans, but reality is, it just wasn't as case fans on front just don't push air far enough under the graphic card. That extra 80mm fan conveniently lodged under the graphic card acts as extra air feeder and support at the same time. And difference is massive. Without it graphic card was quite audible even under mild loads. Now it's only under heavy loads.

The separation of air flow between CPU and GPU part now helps AiO noise. It's now running significantly quieter because huge portion of GPU heat is exhausted directly through rear fan and isn't sucked into AiO anymore.

Like I said, one is theoretical stuff how air moves inside case, but reality is quite different and additional air routing is required to really make it optimal.

1160608238_2021-07-0710-42-14.jpeg

8 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Here you go. This is of course just a test phase and it looks a bit ghetto as it's not fit perfectly and I'd prefer if graphic cards pass through exhaust would also be routed to the back, but that's just small portion of heat so it's fine. The plastic sheet goes all the way from motherboard to the opposing side so there is no gap except at RAM and AiO block height.

AiO tubes are a bit in a way, but I think it separates most of the airflow and they neatly hold sheet in place. Main issue with AiO on top is that it's being fed with hot air from graphic card even though airflow from front should in theory eliminate that, but in practice, it doesn't. Same for graphic card. In theory, it should get air from front fans, but reality is, it just wasn't as case fans on front just don't push air far enough under the graphic card. That extra 80mm fan conveniently lodged under the graphic card acts as extra air feeder and support at the same time. And difference is massive. Without it graphic card was quite audible even under mild loads. Now it's only under heavy loads.

The separation of air flow between CPU and GPU part now helps AiO noise. It's now running significantly quieter because huge portion of GPU heat is exhausted directly through rear fan and isn't sucked into AiO anymore.

Like I said, one is theoretical stuff how air moves inside case, but reality is quite different and additional air routing is required to really make it optimal.

1160608238_2021-07-0710-42-14.jpeg

i would put the fan on the pci slots and block the air from the gpu and the side panel. level with the top of the gpu fans the the hot air going out of the gpu has to go up

With the plastic sheets in your case you are making the airflow more turbulent and thus slowing it down. The longer the air is in your case, the hotter it is going to get.

3 minutes ago, Watercooledguy said:

With the plastic sheets in your case you are making the airflow more turbulent and thus slowing it down. The longer the air is in your case, the hotter it is going to get.

he trying to keep the hot air from the gpu out of the aio i think.

1 minute ago, thrasher_565 said:

he trying to keep the hot air from the gpu out of the aio i think.

He should have the rad mounted in the front then. If that's not possible due to tube length, then set the fans on the rad as intake and the rest of the case fans as exhaust. 

3 minutes ago, Watercooledguy said:

He should have the rad mounted in the front then. If that's not possible due to tube length, then set the fans on the rad as intake and the rest of the case fans as exhaust. 

well to be fair the case has no air flow to the gpu or front mesh so you can only do so much.

Just now, thrasher_565 said:

well to be fair the case has no air flow to the gpu or front mesh so you can only do so much.

yeah, i noticed that the case had limited air flow from the pics. I had a case like that back in 07 and I ended up drilling some holes in the front panel with a hole saw and mounting 92mm case fans as intakes. 

19 minutes ago, Watercooledguy said:

yeah, i noticed that the case had limited air flow from the pics. I had a case like that back in 07 and I ended up drilling some holes in the front panel with a hole saw and mounting 92mm case fans as intakes. 

its funny when we think we buy a case and should be good for years then new problems come up and its no longer usable...